Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible terrorist attack thwarted

Thanks

Possible terrorist attack thwarted

http://www.itv.com/news/index_808807.html

views?

Had to happen sooner or later, good thing they stopped it....clears the way for blunkett to keep more tabs on us though. And tony can keep us reminded of it when he does something like follow the americans in an unjust war.....lets not get started on that though!!!!
    | XP1600-m | ASUS AN78X Deluxe | r9700 pro | 2x512mb pc37000 |

Spanked Member
    Thanks
    cant say Im too convinced by reading that article. Tony Blair's "Ive seen the strong and indisputable evidence that Sadam has WMD" fiasco comes into mind. We get told stuff but they go into nothing.

Im not sure if they're giving Al-Queda credit either by saying they'd use the same tactic again after such an event took place . . . or would that just be like burgling planes at Heathrow airport?

iMc
    Thanks
    "And MI5 chief Eliza Manningham-Buller also spoke publicly about Britain's success in thwarting fanatics."

Great... she won't be saying that if/when one does happen. I worry when I read things like this because it sounds like some people are celebrating the fact that we didn't get attacked. Thats all well and good but that doesn't mean that they have stopped the people from trying again, and again.

Interesting that it has just come out in the news now. I would liked to have known when these attacks were 'thwarted'. Not just the night before a speech being made on how apparently tough we are at being attacked.
    HEXUS|iMc

Spanked Member
    Thanks
    Does anyone live in active fear that we will get hit on homeland . . . or will it set in if and when it happens?

iMc
    Thanks
    I think its ridiculous worrying about it constantly. Hell what good is that going to do. But I do think that there are a lot of people who dismiss the threat as unrealistic or extremely unlikely when in truth its not.

Unfortunately lots of people do only sit up and take notice when something happens to them. It's like when a car crash happens and is seen on the news, most people don't get affected by it, but if someone you know has been involved in one then it affects you more.

To some people the whole terrorism thing is still very alienated and almost 'Hollywood' in this country. Either that or you get people who question others if they are even the slightest bit foriegn.

This is what I have seen in my experiance.
    HEXUS|iMc

Spanked Member
    Thanks
    But I do think that there are a lot of people who dismiss the threat as unrealistic or extremely unlikely when in truth its not.
    Proof?

Im someone who'll believe it if/when it happens. In the meantime, if they care to back up these claims of thwarting al-queda, then I'm all ears/eyes.

iMc
    Thanks
    Well 9/11 happened. Madrid train bombings happened, plenty of other things happened I cant be bothered to remember at this time of night...

The IRA bombed places in Britain successfully. It isn't an impossible thing to do. If someone really wants to do it that much they probably could. It's not worth getting in a state over just be aware that we are not invincible.
    HEXUS|iMc

Spanked Member
    Thanks
    Im not saying it couldnt or is unlikely to happen.

But given our past security failings uncovered, our own domestic disputes, and even as you say, the IRA years back . . . dont you think something, seeing as it's past 3 years, wouldve happened by now?

I dont think we're free from terrorism, but at least with the IRA we knew what they wanted, we knew why they were doing it (albeit lack of understanding) . . . why wait now for this war on terror (when it had already existed), that really had nothing to do with us, and have instead ploughed our own international reputation into dispute.

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    how well planned news releases support government bills...!
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

iMc
    Thanks
    You might be right. I agree with the 'why now' philosophy. I don't think 3 years is that long of a time though. Cant think of more to type.

I'm off to bed!
    HEXUS|iMc

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PrivatePyle
    I grew up with places getting blown up by the ira, that never bothered me, I'm not about to start worrying.
    The man speaks the truth. I didn't grow up during the height of the troubles, but during the IRA's spate of bombs in Birmingham and the Midlands, I know from my Mom and Dad that people went about their lives as normal.

My Dad was in town, having a drink when the two Birmingham pubs were bombed; he heard the explosions. My Mom was at a friends house and also heard them; this, I'd say, puts them relativly close to the incident.

You get on with things though; and now its Islamic extremeists trying to blow us up, rather than the IRA, you still get on with it.

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    Yup, if you let it change the way you go about things then they've won..

There's not a lot you can do about it anyway, the odds are far more in favour of you getting run over as soon as you leave your house, yet you don't get people hiding indoors because it *might* happen..

Also, the timing is fishy as hell as a couple of others have already pointed out..
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    Someone local to me has started circulating an email saying that on the 5th of December ALQ are going to do something in Leicester, to which I replied, damn I'm in Plymouth that weekend, could of done with the time off work....

Thanks
    Ahhh the Politics of Fear.

Blunkett needs to shove through his ID Card magic bullet and other "Anti Terrorist Measures"

Bollocks in my opinion. More pedalling fear to gain the power they want. If and I mean IF an attack comes, so what. Not much you can do before or after. Just get on with the day to day, give the fear pedalling politicians the boot and ignore their warmongering.

We lived under the threat of the IRA for years, and we've never had need to bring in such facist laws. Why now?

Thanks
    Ask Bush, he knows!

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    typically this government is medling with things that have been fine in the past but they just can't leave them alone now can they? its everything they do now, just mess around with things they think people want changed when in actual fact its been fine for years and don't need changing.
    I use as an example the hunting ban, what a bunch of old tosh, really. if they left it alone and did nothing then we wouldn't be here now arguing over it but of course most of the labour cabinet is so anal and anti-upper class they think a ban on hunting will affect them. its a shame then that its not upper-class people who will be affected most by it but the farmers and workers who actually are involved in it and make a living from it - thats who it'll hurt. and the rich boys [no doubt from the big city firms] will just go and find a new weekend pursuit [excuse the pun]. I'm not pro-hunting but i'm anti-government bans...they say its not a 'class war' but it is. they all get through uni and then raise huge fees [my g/f has to pay around £12000!! a year! and the uni sees none of that money, not a penny], they try and ban this that and another because of some inane reasons they make up. they also lowered the tax brackets so now if you 'earn' more than 36000 you loose 40% of it and eventually end up paying less than someone on say 35000...! more great lunacy.

did i mention i hate this government? oh, well I do.

and they've sort of brought terrorists on themselves by allying so closely with the US. or Bush more like. how long until the next aweful bombing???