Thread: New changes to consumer rights laws starting from the 13th of June(worth reading)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

New changes to consumer rights laws starting from the 13th of June(worth reading)

More details here:

http://www.digitalandwise.com/eu-con...for-retailers/

After sales - Premium rate customer services telephone numbers will no longer be allowed. Technical helplines (troubleshooting and assistance) can, however, still be charged at the premium rate.
    Information - Customers must be provided with certain information before they complete a contract for sale.
    Pre-ticked boxes - No boxes in the purchase process should be pre-ticked. All additional services/products to be purchased need to be actively ticked by the customer.
    Cost of returns – Retailers must inform customers who will be responsible for the cost of returning products where the consumer has exercised their cancellation rights.
    Obligation to pay - Retailers must make customers aware of their “obligation to pay” at the checkout stages. Call-to-action (CTA) labeling at the checkout should be “Pay Now” instead of “Buy Now” or “Check Out”.
    14 day right to withdraw – The customer’s right to withdraw will be extended from 7 days to 14 days. This cancellation policy must be made known to the customer before they place their order.
    Cancellation form - Retailers need to provide a downloadable standard cancellation or return form that customers can access and print off from the website.
    Retailer refunds – A full refund must be issued to the customer within 14 days of receiving the goods or the cancellation form. The cost of standard shipping must also be refunded to the customer.
    Diminished value – If the customer handles the product beyond what is necessary and as a result diminishes the value of that product, then the business can make a deduction from the refund.

Total cost of goods – The total cost of goods (inc taxes, duties, shipping) needs to be made clear at the point of sale.
    Order confirmations – Confirmation details of a distance contract/sale must be sent to the customer via a “durable medium”. The most common “durable medium” will be email, however there are other means.
    Download cancellations – Customers must ask the retailer to begin a download before the expiry of the cancellation period. If the customer asks for this, they lose the right to withdraw from the contract.
    The bolded bits are interesting - it makes me wonder how easy a retailer can try to fiddle things.

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Multiple HDD and SSD drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

Re: New changes to consumer rights laws starting from the 13th of June(worth reading)

Diminished value – If the customer handles the product beyond what is necessary and as a result diminishes the value of that product, then the business can make a deduction from the refund.
    I do imagine this will be enacted a lot, especially on items you must do more than open the box and look at.

"Sorry, you've opened the box and left a finger print on it, I can't sell it as new any more"

Download cancellations – Customers must ask the retailer to begin a download before the expiry of the cancellation period. If the customer asks for this, they lose the right to withdraw from the contract.
    The first few reads of this confused me, until it dawned on me that I was reading it from the wrong perspective.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • tamzzy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus V Gene
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k
      • Memory:
      • Kingston HyperX 2400Mhz 16GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Evo 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Radeon 7990 Quadfire
      • PSU:
      • Superflower Leadex Platinum 1KW
      • Case:
      • Fractal Arc Mini R2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama B2888UHSU 28" 4k

Re: New changes to consumer rights laws starting from the 13th of June(worth reading)

hmm...wonder how does the diminished value clause affect DSR
    my initial thoughts is that it shouldn't...but...

Registered+
    Thanks
    • scott1541's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GA-Z77X-D3H
      • CPU:
      • i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengance [2x4GB]
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 128GB & 1.6TB of HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 270X 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CX500
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 300R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit
      • Internet:
      • 100Mb/s

Most of this seems like a good idea, apart from the diminished value part, which as suggested above could be abused. The download cancellations bit doesn't a whole lot of sense to me though.

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Multiple HDD and SSD drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

Quote Originally Posted by tamzzy View Post
    hmm...wonder how does the diminished value clause affect DSR
    my initial thoughts is that it shouldn't...but...
    Hmm, good point,

Quote Originally Posted by scott1541 View Post
    The download cancellations bit doesn't a whole lot of sense to me though.
    If you want your purchase, you must start downloading it before the cancellation period ends, ie within 14 days.
    If you do start the download, you may no longer terminate the contract, and hence return the item short of it being faulty.

And possibly it also means that if you dont start the download in the cancellation period, ie you wait 15 days, something else happens, perhaps the retailer no longer has to let you download it.

Thread Information