Thread: Hexus Mastermind Thread - #5 - Ttaskmaster - Are they missing any limbs?l

Thanks

Hexus Mastermind Thread - #5 - Ttaskmaster - Are they missing any limbs?l

HEXUS MASTERMIND #5 - Ttaskmaster

Commencement Time: 10:00AM Monday 7th July.

Chosen subject areas:

Primary: The film, 'Spacehunter: Adventures In The Forbidden Zone'.
    Secondary: The Yamaha FJ1200 3XW motorcycle.

Now accepting questions for Ttaskmaster on the above subjects. Questions are to be submitted to Galant via PM, please (don't post them here). Once the questions are gathered and commencement date arranged they will be posted in this thread for answering by the contestant. We're looking for 15 questions on the primary subject and 5 questions on the secondary subject. 3 'Personal angle' questions permitted on Primary, 1 'Personal Angle' question permitted on the secondary.

See the Sign Up Thread for full details.

Ttaskmaster, once the questions are posted here you will have 24 hours to answer them all below. All questions are to be answered from your own head only without reference to any outside sources. These Mastermind challenges are running on the honour system so please don't cheat!

Anyone wishing to sign-up to be a contestant in future editions, please sign-up in the thread in the Sticky section.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Galant; 07-07-2014 at 12:39 AM.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks

Re: Hexus Mastermind Thread - #5 - Ttaskmaster - Are they missing any limbs?l

FYI - These are pretty specific subject areas so I'd appreciate as much help as I can get.

Let's make it a tough one!

Cheers!
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to this!!

Thanks

HEXUS MASTERMIND #5 - Ttaskmaster

Commencement Time: Wednesday 7th July 10:00AM.

Chosen subject areas:
    Primary: The film, 'Spacehunter: Adventures In The Forbidden Zone'.
    Secondary: The Yamaha FJ1200 3XW motorcycle.

Ttaskmaster, you now have 24 hours to answer all questions below. All questions are to be answered from your own head only without reference to any outside sources. These Mastermind challenges are running on the honour system so please don't

cheat!

Anyone wishing to sign-up to be a contestant in future editions, please sign-up in the thread in the Sticky section.

QUESTIONS

1. Executive Producer, Director, Production Studio, and who wrote the score?
    2. Opening Weekend Box office takings (USA) & Date of first release?
    3. Name all five of the credited female characters.
    4. "Of course, my most famous role was in the 3D space epic, Space Hunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone. I capture Molly Ringwald and utter the immortal line "you can ask the Chemist". Molly still writes to me on Christmas. Sweet." To which now-famous stand-up comedian does this quote belong?
    5. Towards the beginning of the film Wolff's ship/computer provides some background on the planet Terra XI. Here's the timeline of events and/or the header of the piece of information given - please provide the details the computer issues about those items/dates (All needed):
    Terra XI Atmosphere -
    2013 -
    2021 -
    2022 -
    2031 -
    Current Status -
    6. According to Molly - The following are quotes from Molly Ringwald taken from an interview she gave during the promotion of the movie. Answer the questions (4 of 6 needed):
    A - "There was one scene missing from the movie which was
    really great..." - what was the scene and before what scene in the movie did it fit?
    B - "I was quite relieved when [the Director] showed up and said, 'This is awwwful. Let's change all this!" What, according to Molly, was awful?
    C - "I would wander off when I wasn't doing a scene or going to school and [BLANK]. I would come back onto the set with my hands covered with red paint and people would go nuts." What was Molly doing during those times?
    D - One of many changes made under the new director, Molly explains, "There was [BLANK] which started out as evil and wound up being good." To what was she referring?
    E - Despite a scene showing Molly rolling through fire, Molly stated that she has a fear of fire. During a second scene that ended up cut from the movie she had to face up to that fear. What did she have to do in that scene?
    F - "One day, somebody started playing the theme from Saturday Night Fever and all the [BLANK] started dancing around the room. It was hysterical to see. Later, when we were doing the scary scene with the [BLANK], I would look at them and remember that dance number. It was hard not to giggle... I had to think about something else, anything else, during the scene or I would have just fallen over, laughing." During which scary scene did Molly have to hold back the giggles?
    7. What is the name of the type of message/messaging system via which Wolff and Chalmers receive the news of the plight of the three kidnapp victims?
    8. What infractions of the law have Wolff in the debts he hopes to pay off with the financial rewards of the adventure?
    9. The director of the film on the credits is actually the second director attached to the movie. Who was the first and what happened to him?
    10. Which Spacehunter actor made the following comment, ""I figure that I'm lucky, because some actors wait their entire life to play a classic character, and
    I think that's what [omitted] is... the same class as [omitted famous movie character]"?
    11. Not counting 'Main Title' and 'End Credits', name three tracks from the score of the movie.
    12. About what character was the following comment made (by the person playing the role)? "It's like having your language taken away from you, leaving you with just four or five adjectives, a couple of verbs, and a few nouns. And still, you must communicate everything. It allowed me to stretch more than I've ever stretched in the nearly 30 films I've done up to now."
    Please name the actress in the midle of the photo.
    14 - According to Nikki why does Wolff have no friends?
    15 - The Games/Death Maze! "They've sure come a long way..." from what?
    16 - Moving up from the previous 3CV what part of the 3XW was manufactured in steel which previously had been manufactured in aluminium?
    17 - Engine - how many cylinders (and in what layout), how many valves, and what type of cooling?
    18 - What's the ground clearance in either inches or mm?
    19 - What on the 3XW is different about the engine mounts from previous versions?
    20 - Despite being well known for reliability there is one part which, since 1988, has been known to fail. One way to detect such a failure is by flicking the engine onto RUN, listening, then flicking it again and listening again. What's the problem part?

Thanks

Ttaskmaster - you're on the clock!

Oh and just in case it isn't obvious - No-one else answer PLEASE - until 10:00AM on the 8th of July or until the answers have been scored and the final score out of 20 has been given.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

Just want to say thanks for doing this!
    Both are perhaps unusual subject choices, but what I felt I knew best and it's been great to test myself. The Primary questions did indeed have some pretty challenging questions that had me racking my brain for a bit!

OK, here goes...

1.EP - Ivan Reitman.
    Dir - Initially it was Jean la Fleur right up to the first 2 weeks of production and then replaced by Lamont Johnson, who was credited as Dir in the final film.
    Studio - Columbia Pictures.
    Music - Scored by Elmer Bernstein.

2. Approximately $7mil on 22nd May 1983.

3. Trick question - There are six: Chalmers, Niki the Twister, Megan, Reena, Nova and "Barracuda Leader" (Reggie Bennett is female).

4. Colin Mochrie!!! :-)

Terra XI Atmosphere - E-type
    2013 - Exploration commenced
    2021 - Planet-wide outbreak of PSI plague
    2022 - Interplanetary Medical Expedition assigned to plague control
    2031 - Medical expedition vanished, following a quarrel between the expedition leaders Patterson and McNab, with the latter (alias Overdog) assuming dictatorship of the entire planet. (The exact quote should be, "Leaders of expedition, Patterson and McNabb quarreled. McNabb, alias Overdog, assumed dictatorship entire planet. Medical expedition vanished: 2031")
    Current Status - Quarrantine Restricted

A - It was a discussion between her and Wolff about their respective families (his killed during the war, hers to the PSI Plague that her mother came to work against). It takes place right before she cries herself to sleep and Wolff puts his arm around her. Instead, the shot opens with them laying in bed and his arm is around her, which paints a rather hideous picture of the hero!

B - The dialogue Jean LaFleur had written for her.

C - She was messing around with the prop guys, painting their props.

D - The group of Scavs on the Sail Train, including Jarrett and Duster.

E - She had to torch Overdog's henchman with a flamethrower that she took off another one.

F - The scene in the Grain Silo.

7. Intergal Comnet - "Womb of the Cosmos".

- 105 parking tickets from the Police in 42 Sector.
    - An alimony cheque to his ex-wife, which is three months overdue.
    - Two months of rent owed to the administrator of his housing unit (witha 5-day deadline to eviction).

Director Jean LaFleur was dismissed as he was behind schedule and the producers did not like the styles they saw in the dalies, or the way he had reliquished creative control completely to the various production crews. LaFleur left and a large percentage of the crew followed in what was referred to as the "Saturday Night Massacre".

10. That sounds like Michael Ironside, comparing Overdog to Darth Vader?

11. Desert Battle, Aftermath and Night Sounds.

12. Definitely Michael Ironside!!

13. That'd be Cali Timmins.

14. "I can see why you got no friends - You don't like nuthin'! Haven't you ever liked anything, like a dog or a goat?"

15. Monday Night Football.

16. The swingarm.

17. Inline 4-cylinder DOHC with 16 valves.

18. 140mm, which is 5½ inches.

19. The 3XW is rubber mounted onto rocker arms, to counter frame twist when the engine torques up against the drive chain. The engine is also no longer a stressed member.

20. There are several, but you're describing the fuel pump.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    Just want to say thanks for doing this!
    Both are perhaps unusual subject choices, but what I felt I knew best and it's been great to test myself. The Primary questions did indeed have some pretty challenging questions that had me racking my brain for a bit!
    You're welcome. I did my best to make this challenging, what with it being a narrower field. Also, since I wasn't able to view the movie in its entirety, I had to dig further and rely more on facts and interviews than scenes from the movie. I expected that those things might well be more challenging than quotes and vehicle names etc., especially since we're talking a single movie rather than a series.

Just as long as it was a challenge and enjoyable, that's what I'm after.

Alright, let's mark this thing...

OK, here goes...

1.EP - Ivan Reitman.
    Dir - Initially it was Jean la Fleur right up to the first 2 weeks of production and then replaced by Lamont Johnson, who was credited as Dir in the final film.
    Studio - Columbia Pictures.
    Music - Scored by Elmer Bernstein.
    Bingo! All correct!

2. Approximately $7mil on 22nd May 1983.
    Incorrect. The amount was right - $7,053,016 - but the release date was May 20th 1983.

3. Trick question - There are six: Chalmers, Niki the Twister, Megan, Reena, Nova and "Barracuda Leader" (Reggie Bennett is female).
    Correct - although for the record I wasn't intending that as a trick - I don't intend for any of these quizzes to include trick questions.

4. Colin Mochrie!!! :-)
    Correct!

Terra XI Atmosphere - E-type
    2013 - Exploration commenced
    2021 - Planet-wide outbreak of PSI plague
    2022 - Interplanetary Medical Expedition assigned to plague control
    2031 - Medical expedition vanished, following a quarrel between the expedition leaders Patterson and McNab, with the latter (alias Overdog) assuming dictatorship of the entire planet. (The exact quote should be, "Leaders of expedition, Patterson and McNabb quarreled. McNabb, alias Overdog, assumed dictatorship entire planet. Medical expedition vanished: 2031")
    Current Status - Quarrantine Restricted
    Correct, perfect quotes.

A - It was a discussion between her and Wolff about their respective families (his killed during the war, hers to the PSI Plague that her mother came to work against). It takes place right before she cries herself to sleep and Wolff puts his arm around her. Instead, the shot opens with them laying in bed and his arm is around her, which paints a rather hideous picture of the hero!

Correct.

B - The dialogue Jean LaFleur had written for her.

Correct.

C - She was messing around with the prop guys, painting their props.

Correct.

D - The group of Scavs on the Sail Train, including Jarrett and Duster.

Correct.

E - She had to torch Overdog's henchman with a flamethrower that she took off another one.

Correct.

F - The scene in the Grain Silo.

Correct. The 'monsters' in questions were the bat-men.
    All correct!

7. Intergal Comnet - "Womb of the Cosmos".
    Correct. And I had to pause the screen just to read that!

- 105 parking tickets from the Police in 42 Sector.
    - An alimony cheque to his ex-wife, which is three months overdue.
    - Two months of rent owed to the administrator of his housing unit (witha 5-day deadline to eviction).
    Correct.

Director Jean LaFleur was dismissed as he was behind schedule and the producers did not like the styles they saw in the dalies, or the way he had reliquished creative control completely to the various production crews. LaFleur left and a large percentage of the crew followed in what was referred to as the "Saturday Night Massacre".
    Correct. I would have accepted he was fired.

10. That sounds like Michael Ironside, comparing Overdog to Darth Vader?
    Correct again! And yes - ah the wonder of hindsight. Do you think he'd be past cringing if someone brought that up to him?

11. Desert Battle, Aftermath and Night Sounds.
    Hmmm, possibly incorrect. The tracks you list I am only able to find on a bootlegged CD. All sources referencing the official soundtrack show this listing:
    Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Music composed and conducted by Elmer Bernstein.
    1. Main Title
    2. Girls And Scavs
    3. Wolff
    4. History and Landing
    5. Vultures
    6. The Planet
    7. Niki
    8. Hot Dog
    9. Wash Up
    10. Partner
    11. Day's End
    12. Cavern
    13. Bats
    14. Tunnel
    15. Women
    16. Desert
    17. Moving Out
    18. Graveyard
    19. Capture
    20. Into The Maze
    21. Maze
    22. Getting There
    23. Claw
    24. Rescue
    25. Niki Goes
    26. Going Home
    27. End Credits.

Owing to the possibly of a fuller written score, if you can confirm a valid source I'll approve it. I won't take a bootleg over the official soundtrack listing though.

Ah, you want the official one - Easy then - Niki, Graveyard and Vultures. The other three are the alarm ringtones on my mobile!

I use the 'Promotional Score (not for sale)' version, which has all 55 tracks in total. The bootlegs usually feature variants on the Main Title and End Credits, plus 28-odd other pieces that were in the film, but not included on the official soundtrack.
    Not sure how valid the PS(nfs) version is, as it's genuine rather than bootlegged... but never officially released.
    Alright, I've given this one some thought and a good bit of browsing and searching. With regards your offering of three official titles I'm afraid I can't accept them at this point since in explaining the issue I provided the official track-listing.
    With regards the Promotional Score, I do believe you, however, I've been unable to find any trace of it online (not unusual considering the movie has a cult popularity and in unknown by most). I've decided I'm going to have to call this one incorrect based simply on the fact that it can't be corroborated but there is an actual official release. Additionally, thinking of future quizzes, were I to receive answers which could not be confirmed at all, I'd be on tricky ground affirming some answers and not others.
    I hope this doesn't seem unfair. I certainly acknowledge your ridiculously through, detailed and expansive knowledge on the subject, though!

Incorrect.

12. Definitely Michael Ironside!!
    Correct! Referencing the makeup he had, essentially, all over him!

13. That'd be Cali Timmins.
    Correct.

14. "I can see why you got no friends - You don't like nuthin'! Haven't you ever liked anything, like a dog or a goat?"
    Correct. So many possible lines to choose from. Tried to find something that might be slightly trickier to remember. It seems mostly one-liners though, little extended dialogue.

15. Monday Night Football.
    Correct.

16. The swingarm.
    Correct.

17. Inline 4-cylinder DOHC with 16 valves.
    Almost correct - you missed one - the cooling - if you haven't already looked it up (honour system) - go ahead an answer please...
    Oh, oops! Easy, though - air-cooled.
    Correct.

18. 140mm, which is 5½ inches.
    Correct.

19. The 3XW is rubber mounted onto rocker arms, to counter frame twist when the engine torques up against the drive chain. The engine is also no longer a stressed member.
    Correct again!

20. There are several, but you're describing the fuel pump.
    Correct!

TOTAL 18/20
    Last edited by Galant; 09-07-2014 at 11:48 AM.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Galant View Post
    Incorrect. The amount was right - $7,053,016 - but the release date was May 20th 1983.
    Ah yeah, I just re-read the question... 20th was the actual first release date, while the 22nd was the date the aforementioned takings would have been counted, ie the Sunday after. Doh!!

Correct. And I had to pause the screen just to read that!
    I have it as my screen background at work, heh heh!!

Correct again! And yes - ah the wonder of hindsight. Do you think he'd be past cringing if someone brought that up to him?
    Nah, he'd never cringe to begin with - I met with him a couple of years back, to get my VHS sleeve signed. He *loved* knowing there were fans out there still!!
    He still remembers the lines, too!

[B]Hmmm, possibly incorrect. The tracks you list I am only able to find on a bootlegged CD. All sources referencing the official soundtrack show this listing:
    Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Music composed and conducted by Elmer Bernstein.
    Ah, you want the official one - Easy then - Niki, Graveyard and Vultures. The other three are the alarm ringtones on my mobile!

I use the 'Promotional Score (not for sale)' version, which has all 55 tracks in total. The bootlegs usually feature variants on the Main Title and End Credits, plus 28-odd other pieces that were in the film, but not included on the official soundtrack.
    Not sure how valid the PS(nfs) version is, as it's genuine rather than bootlegged... but never officially released.

So many possible lines to choose from. Tried to find something that might be slightly trickier to remember. It seems mostly one-liners though, little extended dialogue.
    About the best are the more obscure conversational dialogues and then only for getting the *exact* wording of the quote, but as you say, the single-line approach just makes everything stand out more.

Almost correct - you missed one - the cooling - if you haven't already looked it up (honour system) - go ahead an answer please...
    Oh, oops! Easy, though - air-cooled.

Thanks

Alright, scoring all done.

Well done Ttaskmaster, although a narrow field you definitely have a detailed knowledge of just about every aspect of the subject. It was very impressive!
    Nice going!

G.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

Yay, I am the Overdog Geek of a long forgotten B-Movie... My mum is so proud, heh heh!!

Thanks again Galant and j1979, for organising this and putting in so much research effort.

11. Received thanks from:

Galant (09-07-2014)

Thread Information