Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fresh user, couple of questions to ask if that's OK?

Registered+
    Thanks

Fresh user, couple of questions to ask if that's OK?

Hi, I'm Askew nice to meet you all, I'm not going to lie I'm here because of the free shipping with Scan (I think that's a good thing, isn't that the idea of the offer to bring more users to Hexus?) but I may well stick around (I primarily post on LTT forums) but I've got to ask something first.

Is there a dark theme for this forum or has anyone created a custom theme that's on userstyles or Stylish? All my frequently visited websites are black pretty much, just wondering if that's going to be possible here?

Question 2, how is this forum's search function? Do people here use the site: function with Google to search for existing threads or does the forum's tagging/search work OK? (over at LTT it's abysmal we all use Google)

Thanks for any replies, I'll have a look about the forum now and probably appear in some threads.
    Last edited by Askew; 25-07-2014 at 01:34 AM.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Re: Fresh user, couple of questions to ask if that's OK?

Search works fairly well I think, threads are usually indexed by Google very quickly and are usually highly ranked.

As for themes, there is only one. No choices and no custom themes. Different parts of the forums have different templates, creating themes would mean creating a new one for each custom template. Too much scope for things to get broken. Hexus is also a commercial entity, so there is a style and brand that is consistent across their platforms pretty sure custom themes would break that too

Welcome to Hexus

3. Received thanks from:

Askew (25-07-2014)

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar View Post
    Search works fairly well I think, threads are usually indexed by Google very quickly and are usually highly ranked.

As for themes, there is only one. No choices and no custom themes. Different parts of the forums have different templates, creating themes would mean creating a new one for each custom template. Too much scope for things to get broken. Hexus is also a commercial entity, so there is a style and brand that is consistent across their platforms pretty sure custom themes would break that too

Welcome to Hexus
    Thanks for the reply, you have a crazy amount of posts!

Thanks
    • stevie lee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair 3600 MHZ Cas 18
      • Storage:
      • 250GB BX500, M500 240GB, SN750 1TB NVME, mechs - Hitachi 1TB. WDblue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • sapphire 7700 1gb
      • PSU:
      • corsair RM550X
      • Case:
      • Xigmatech Midgard
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 42" Panasonix viera (1080p limited RGB)
      • Internet:
      • plusnet fibre

at the bottom left of the forum page, there's a drop down box so you can switch to a mobile friendly version. other than that, its what funkstar said.

and if you are wondering why different people have different coloured usernames, click the bottom link in funkstars signature.

search function is very well implemented, as is google searching, its very quick to be added onto google. just tested a search for 'hexus user askew' and your posts are there already.

6. Received thanks from:

Askew (25-07-2014)

Thanks

Welcome to HEXUS, but just make sure you don't fall into the trap of trying to hit 20 posts as fast as possible and go for free shipping. There is a general theme of people trying that (and then having it immediate revoked)

20 posts is the minimum, and you need to keep an active poster here. Reaching 20, and going for free shipping all in the same day is normally a sure fire way to start off on the wrong foot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    Welcome to HEXUS, but just make sure you don't fall into the trap of trying to hit 20 posts as fast as possible and go for free shipping. There is a general theme of people trying that (and then having it immediate revoked)

20 posts is the minimum, and you need to keep an active poster here. Reaching 20, and going for free shipping all in the same day is normally a sure fire way to start off on the wrong foot.
    The trap?

I don't intend to buy anything today, I've ordered 2 things from Scan in the last 36 hours already, I was aware of this offer for some time but never got round to signing up because I didn't think I'd want to post here but today decided to come give it a try.

I read the offer post thoroughly, it says nothing about maintaining a presence and as you're not staff I'm going to continue to assume that, I will link my account after 20 posts and see what happens with the free shipping the next time I order, if Scan honours it then great, if not then I'm not going to lose my **** over it but I would of course pass on the word that the offer terms are not accurate as it's my opinion that if a maintained presence is required then it should be made clear.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Askew View Post
    The trap?

I don't intend to buy anything today, I've ordered 2 things from Scan in the last 36 hours already, I was aware of this offer for some time but never got round to signing up because I didn't think I'd want to post here but today decided to come give it a try.

I read the offer post thoroughly, it says nothing about maintaining a presence and as you're not staff I'm going to continue to assume that, I will link my account after 20 posts and see what happens with the free shipping the next time I order, if Scan honours it then great, if not then I'm not going to lose my **** over it but I would of course pass on the word that the offer terms are not accurate as it's my opinion that if a maintained presence is required then it should be made clear.
    As far as I'm aware, there's no requirement to remain active, though we certainly encourage it.

There is, however, a requirement for 20 "constructive" posts.

The "trap" Agent referred to was that we get a lot of 'spam' designed specifically to hit that 20 post limit. If you're a regular forum user, you may well recognise the type of thing. In relation to the Scan offer, though, it's slightly different, but we often (seen it hundreds of times) get exactly 20 posts, every one of which is between about 2 and 5 words, and adds nothing to the thread. Like "I agree", "Me too" or "Xbox for me".

You do NOT fall into that profile. That much is immediately obvious from looking at your posts.

So .... as far as I know, you hit 20 "constructive" posts, and your eligibility is automatic, system-controlled, albeit it can take a few hours.,

There are two caveats, though.

If mods see that kind of 2-word spam post, then we reserve the right to either delete "spam", or simply to zero the post-count. It's not directly to do with Scan, though it impacts on eligibilty.

Second, the free shipping offer ultimately comes from Scan, and they can decide when to honour it, or not. Forum mods here have no input at all into that, or indeed, knowledge of whether they do or not. But the same "20 constructive" posts criteria applies there, so Scan are free to determine whether posts are constructive or not, and act accordingly, if they so wish.

What, if anything, Scan do if someone makes 20 posts, qualifies, and is still getting free delivery 5 years later and is still at 20 posts, I've no idea. It's never come up in discussion that I'm aware of. My guess, and it is just a guess, is that if that person was a regular Scan customer over that period, they won't care if they've been posting or not.

There are, however, some HEXUS facilities that are for regular, contributing members, like our "classified ads", that, really, are a service between regular members. That's nothing to do with Scan, though. And access to that might well be revoked if someone isn't at least modestly active.

10. Received thanks from:

Askew (25-07-2014)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Is there a dark theme for this forum or has anyone created a custom theme that's on userstyles or Stylish? All my frequently visited websites are black pretty much, just wondering if that's going to be possible here?
    I have no involvement in the design side, but it's pretty much as Funkstar said. Firstly, the forums are designed to be colour-consistent with the main site, so no, I doubt there'll be a dark theme. Secondly, there's quite of lot of customisation to add various elements to the site, and for integration between forums and main site, and adding a completely different theme magnifies the work involved on, for example, software upgrades.

Short answer, I wouldn't rule out a dark theme for all eternity, but I'm certainly not aware of any existing plans, or intention.

12. Received thanks from:

Askew (25-07-2014)

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

The FAQs, here http://forums.hexus.net/faq.php?faq=...x_scanshipping state that to qualify for free shipping, you need a minimum of 20 posts and to be "regular and active" users of HEXUS.

The guide in this section is how to set it up, but if that is causing confusion, it can be amended. However the FAQs are the definitive document.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

14. Received thanks from:

Askew (25-07-2014)

Registered+
    Thanks

As far as I'm aware, there's no requirement to remain active, though we certainly encourage it.

There is, however, a requirement for 20 "constructive" posts.

The "trap" Agent referred to was that we get a lot of 'spam' designed specifically to hit that 20 post limit. If you're a regular forum user, you may well recognise the type of thing. In relation to the Scan offer, though, it's slightly different, but we often (seen it hundreds of times) get exactly 20 posts, every one of which is between about 2 and 5 words, and adds nothing to the thread. Like "I agree", "Me too" or "Xbox for me".

You do NOT fall into that profile. That much is immediately obvious from looking at your posts.

So .... as far as I know, you hit 20 "constructive" posts, and your eligibility is automatic, system-controlled, albeit it can take a few hours.,

There are two caveats, though.

If mods see that kind of 2-word spam post, then we reserve the right to either delete "spam", or simply to zero the post-count. It's not directly to do with Scan, though it impacts on eligibilty.

Second, the free shipping offer ultimately comes from Scan, and they can decide when to honour it, or not. Forum mods here have no input at all into that, or indeed, knowledge of whether they do or not. But the same "20 constructive" posts criteria applies there, so Scan are free to determine whether posts are constructive or not, and act accordingly, if they so wish.

What, if anything, Scan do if someone makes 20 posts, qualifies, and is still getting free delivery 5 years later and is still at 20 posts, I've no idea. It's never come up in discussion that I'm aware of. My guess, and it is just a guess, is that if that person was a regular Scan customer over that period, they won't care if they've been posting or not.

There are, however, some HEXUS facilities that are for regular, contributing members, like our "classified ads", that, really, are a service between regular members. That's nothing to do with Scan, though. And access to that might well be revoked if someone isn't at least modestly active.
    Thank you for the clarification, Seeing as the OP of the offer thread is from 2008 I expect you've had to deal with a ridiculous amount of spam in that time.

I will be likely active at least modestly despite what I said in OP about primarily posting on LTT forums, I enjoy tech news/discussing upcoming technology and seeing as the forum has a section for news that'll be my haunt for the most part.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Thank you for the clarification, Seeing as the OP of the offer thread is from 2008 I expect you've had to deal with a ridiculous amount of spam in that time.

I will be likely active at least modestly despite what I said in OP about primarily posting on LTT forums, I enjoy tech news/discussing upcoming technology and seeing as the forum has a section for news that'll be my haunt for the most part.
    Well, personally, I hope you hang around. The more, the merrier.

Welcome to HEXUS, by the way.

17. Received thanks from:

Askew (25-07-2014)

Registered+
    Thanks

Well, personally, I hope you hang around. The more, the merrier.

Welcome to HEXUS, by the way.
    Thanks, 2 last things to ask if I may.

Is there a way to get notified when someone quotes you? Or to follow a thread and get a notfication when it has new posts? I looked in the settings but I don't see it and as it stands I have to go to threads and check.

The other thing, I tried to embed an image of some Noctua NT-H1 that happened to be hosted at overclock 4-1D yesterday and my URL was censored by this forum, why is that word censored on this forum?

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Thanks, 2 last things to ask if I may.

Is there a way to get notified when someone quotes you? Or to follow a thread and get a notfication when it has new posts? I looked in the settings but I don't see it and as it stands I have to go to threads and check.
    You can subscribe to threads - there's an option at the top under "Thread Tools". You can also configure in your settings to auto-subscribe to any thread that you post in, and to get emails for each new post or an update per day / week etc.

As far as I know, quote notification isn't a feature in VB but the subscription works well if you want updates.

20. Received thanks from:

Askew (25-07-2014)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

The other thing, I tried to embed an image of some Noctua NT-H1 that happened to be hosted at overclock 4-1D yesterday and my URL was censored by this forum, why is that word censored on this forum?
    Did a specific word get censored, or were you unable to post a link?

There is a limitation on links for new posters (another spammer precaution) but from memory, I thought it was a lot lower than your current postcount.

If it was a specific word, then it's possible it's about a specific site reference. There are one or two where there's been bad blood in the past, but it was years ago if it's that. We do have fairly extensive anti-swearing filters, but .... you wouldn't, would you?

It's hard to be sure without knowing exactly what was filtered.

22. Received thanks from:

Askew (25-07-2014)

Registered+
    Thanks

Did a specific word get censored, or were you unable to post a link?

There is a limitation on links for new posters (another spammer precaution) but from memory, I thought it was a lot lower than your current postcount.

If it was a specific word, then it's possible it's about a specific site reference. There are one or two where there's been bad blood in the past, but it was years ago if it's that. We do have fairly extensive anti-swearing filters, but .... you wouldn't, would you?

It's hard to be sure without knowing exactly what was filtered.
    [IMG]http://www.***********.net/gfx/articles/2008/05/16140806995l.jpg[/IMG]

I would't embed because the URL has the word over.clock3D in it, I had to rehost it on gyazo in order to embed.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

I don't know why that's blocked. Someone will have added it to the block list. That might have been the site owner, and it may be for reasons not directly to do with the forum. But that's just speculation on my part. Sorry, can't help with that one.

25. Received thanks from:

Askew (25-07-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information