Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Vaporizers, E-cigarettes, etc.

ZaO

Re: Vaporizers, E-cigarettes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Question for all you experienced types .....

I have a relative, female, late '70s, completely inexperienced with anything techy, to the point of just about managing on/off, volume and channel change with the TV remote. But struggles with "mute".

And, smokes a lot (*). For the sake of her health, and having failed utterly to get her to give up, I'm trying to get her to consider vaping. I think she's about to cave in.

So here's the question .... what (if anything) can you recommend that's SIMPLE TO USE, not ludicrously expensive, preferably can be bought in the high street, and is of a quality/taste that it won't put her off trying again.

I don't smoke, and know NOTHING about where to start. But for her, it's gonna have to be easy to use. I can take things apart, clean, rebuild when I'm there, but we live 100+ miles away and can't always be there. That's one reason (along with computer-phobia) that she has to be able to get supplies locally, effectively, high street.

Any pointers gratefully received, since I know 3/4 of 5/8ths of beggar all about vaping.

(*) By "a lot" I mean every hour or two, but as like as not, only about half a cigarette, then stubs it out. I think it's more habit in the sense of activity, that she's been doing it for so long, rather than actual nicotine addiction. It's part of her routine, and she's VERY routine-driven,, these days. It's her coping mechanism, how she gets through the day.

I don't think she's nicotine-addicted because when she's somewhere she can't smoke, it doesn't seem to bother her much. But at home, her regular fixes are routine. I'm therefore not sure it matters much what she "smokes" as long as she has her routine.
    I'll do my best to help out here So first of all, she would need the types that look like cigarettes, rather than the tanks you fill with liquids. They appeal to people first getting into vaping because they look and feel like a cigarette (you can even get ones where the battery lights up red on the end when you toke - most do). They also usually have an automatic battery so it turns on and off just by taking a drag then stopping. They're just generally very simplistic and easy to maintain - just need to clean the battery connection with tissue sometimes. Ideal

You can get starter kits which include everything you need. After that, you'll just need to buy replacement Cartomizers (the things that screw onto the batteries which are pre-filled with liquid and ready to go), and replace batteries when they start dying (most are guaranteed for 6 months, but you can get maybe a year out of them before they don't hold a good charge anymore). Catromizers come in different flavours and nicotine levels - you just screw them on, vape, then chuck away when they're finished (I'd normally get about 2 days out of one of them, but I vape pretty furiously lol). They're already filled for you and not designed to be refilled (though I have refilled some before! But don't worry about that part..). From what you say, I would probably start her on 12mg nicotine and see if you can get her down to 6mg, then 3mg, then 0mg maybe! Just for reference, I used to smoke about 10-15 rollies a day (not as brutal as cigarettes. I made them quite thin compared to most people too). I found I wanted 18mg nicotine to start with on Ecigs, because more nicotine gives a stronger hit, and when you're used to sucking in hot smoke.... Nowadays I'm on 6mg and I find the hit to be enough!

A starter kit will probably need to be bought online and will cost around 50 quid (high street shops usually don't have much choice with kits). It should come with a charger, a couple batteries, and about 10 cartomisers, maybe a little hard case also. She'll definitely want 2 or more batteries, btw! You need a charged one ready to go each time the other goes flat.

Cartomisers tend to come in 5 packs and cost around 8-10 quid. They vary wildly in quality and how long they last from each brand. It's a bit of minefield out there with all of this type of stuff.. Occasionaly you'll get one that's not wicking properly and will taste all crappy and burned, so if she doesn't like her first hit, try a different cartomiser incase that's what's happened They also taste like that when they start to run out/dry up and you need to replace them.

When I started out I was using a company called Green Smoke. They were probably my favourite for the cigarette style ones we're talking about here, even if the flavours were a bit too powerful for my liking: http://www.greensmoke.co.uk/

"Red Label" were my favourite. They're sort of an American style cigarette flavour, but not.. Good one for people coming straight off tobacco though!
    Look around for discount codes too. I found one for 15% off on a random website and it worked

I believe they do some kind of plan where you can get stuff delivered every month without having to keep ordering. If that's not a good solution, then you're basically left at the mercy of whatever the shops in that area are selling. It has become more common for newsagents and supermarkets to sell these things now, so I'm sure you'll find something Hopefully they'll be good ones.. There are one company that I've seen in a lot of shops, and they're a right rip off. I only wish I could remember the name, because you'd want to avoid them.. Sorry :/ You should be able to recognise them by the price though if you remember how much it normally is for a pack of 5 cartomisers. They'll be charging 5-7 quid for 2 of them or something (they don't justify the price, trust me)..

Hopefully that's helpful! Let me know if you want any more advice and I'll see what I can do

2. Received thanks from:

Saracen (05-08-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I prefer to use cloves to season gammon joints and also in baked apples. (Good for toothache too)
    their good in hot apple cider with orange , and for euthanasia ... if you have fish

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheDutyPaid View Post

Also emphasise she does not need to light the end.
    Excellent advice. Made me laugh, too.

5. Received thanks from:

TheDutyPaid (05-08-2015)

Thanks
    • finlay666's system
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 2gb
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2713HM and V222H
      • Internet:
      • cable

Quote Originally Posted by ZaO View Post
    Woh. Some interesting advice in there. I've saved what you typed so I can come back to it when ordering liquids next

So, the steeping thing. I thought that was part of the process when they make the liquids.. I've heard some people like to leave the lid off the bottle for an hour or so once they've opened it (end users I mean), is that what you're talking about?
    Most liquid will be pre-steeped. The better/craft places put a created on date so you know when it was made.

I cheat for mine, bottles go in a few minutes in an ultrasonic cleaner filled with cool water to give it the equivalent of about a week steeping in a drawer. Usually if the taste is a bit funky I'll quick steep it a bit then try it a day or two later

Quote Originally Posted by jimborae View Post
    Now currently sub ohm vaping with a Kanger sub tank coil setup and a Aspire CF Mod stick and its working really well. Loads of taste & clouds of vapour. Only issue is the amount of juice I'm going through which is making it kind of expensive as the juices I like aren't cheap. Halcyon Haze's Venus in Vapes & T Juice Red Astaire.
    Same for me with the rate of juice, I know you can get the Red Astaire concentrate if you were going to make it yourself, need to try that one at some point as I've heard good things about the liquid
    H3XU5 Social FAQ
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai View Post
    I do like a bit of hot crumpet

Thanks

I have been vaping for nearly a year now and I personally like to use the sub-ohm mod along with subohm tanks, my mother has just started vaping and she is in her late 60's and she just cannot get on with the tanks you have to pull apart and build yourself so she uses the cig-a-like ones from company's like blu but she keeps complaining that she's not getting enough out of them. When I go to see her she likes using my subbox and subtank but it is too difficult for her to re-build.
    I would say with older people the cig-a-like e-cigs are best for ease of use but if they are not getting enough out of them to try with a simple setup. I still use my old itaste pen now and again and it is simple to use and easy to fill the standard clearomizer that comes with it.
    The thing I found that helped me quit the cigarettes completely was finding an juice that I actually like the taste of. I only use two places for my e liquid now medusajuice.co.uk these liquids work well in all e-cigs I have used them in and the other is spectrumvaping.co.uk the custard from here is really nice and i can vape it all day long. Both of them have really good customer service and great products.

I really hope this helps someone out, hopefully in a few years everyone will be vaping and smoking will be a thing of the past!

8. Received thanks from:

Saracen (15-08-2015)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angelashaw View Post
    I really hope this helps someone out, hopefully in a few years everyone will be vaping and smoking will be a thing of the past!
    Well, not 'everyone' will be. I won't be, for a start. Then, I don't smoke now.

Assuming you mean all that currently are smokers, I entirely agree .... subject to any health issues as yet unknown that may emerge about vaping.

For sure, personally, I'd MUCH rather be in a room with someone vaping than someone smoking. In fact, the latter will nearly always result in me leaving the room.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Question for all you experienced types .....

I have a relative, female, late '70s, completely inexperienced with anything techy, to the point of just about managing on/off, volume and channel change with the TV remote. But struggles with "mute".

And, smokes a lot (*). For the sake of her health, and having failed utterly to get her to give up, I'm trying to get her to consider vaping. I think she's about to cave in.

So here's the question .... what (if anything) can you recommend that's SIMPLE TO USE, not ludicrously expensive, preferably can be bought in the high street, and is of a quality/taste that it won't put her off trying again.

I don't smoke, and know NOTHING about where to start. But for her, it's gonna have to be easy to use. I can take things apart, clean, rebuild when I'm there, but we live 100+ miles away and can't always be there. That's one reason (along with computer-phobia) that she has to be able to get supplies locally, effectively, high street.

Any pointers gratefully received, since I know 3/4 of 5/8ths of beggar all about vaping.

(*) By "a lot" I mean every hour or two, but as like as not, only about half a cigarette, then stubs it out. I think it's more habit in the sense of activity, that she's been doing it for so long, rather than actual nicotine addiction. It's part of her routine, and she's VERY routine-driven,, these days. It's her coping mechanism, how she gets through the day.

I don't think she's nicotine-addicted because when she's somewhere she can't smoke, it doesn't seem to bother her much. But at home, her regular fixes are routine. I'm therefore not sure it matters much what she "smokes" as long as she has her routine.
    I'd recommend this one http://www.thesmokersangel.co.uk/smokers-halo-mini/

It looks like a cig so can be an easier "first step" for those on the vaping trail.

I used it for ages since I didn't like the look of the tanks.

11. Received thanks from:

Saracen (15-08-2015)

Thanks

]
    Quote Originally Posted by angelashaw View Post
    The thing I found that helped me quit the cigarettes completely was finding an juice that I actually like the taste of. I only use two places for my e liquid now medusajuice.co.uk these liquids work well in all e-cigs I have used them in and the other is spectrumvaping.co.uk the custard from here is really nice and i can vape it all day long. Both of them have really good customer service and great products.

I use testers from Grizwalds Gourment

I dont know how they compare to other brands but their Cappuccino is excellent. Artic Cherry...blah Blackcat.....blah
    Still its only 2.79 for a 5ml tester to experiment with.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

I prefer my Cappucino with freshly made Espresso shots and foamed full fat milk
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I prefer my Cappucino with freshly made Espresso shots and foamed full fat milk
    Oh, maybe your just smoking the wrong brand ?

Clove Cappuccino has a nice ring to it

Thanks

Hi,

I am having some questions about e cigs and I saw this thread about that but many of the companies and products mentioned no longer exist.
    I want to quit smoking using electronic cigarettes, but I don't know what to use. Can anyone recommend me some e cigs brand to start? I am having a look at Juul starter kit and V2 so far, what do you think about pros/cons there or any other brands worth trying? Which flavours are good?

Thank you

Thanks
    • Allen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 6600K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4-3000
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 (OS) + 2 x 512GB Samsung 960 EVO in RAID 0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC
      • PSU:
      • XFX P1-650X-NLG9 XXX 650W Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Node 804
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" BenQ XL2730Z + 23" Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mbps

You'd probably get a better response here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Vaping101/

Either that or a vape/e-cig specific forum.

I myself used an Eleaf iStick Pico with a Smok TFV8 tank, producing wonderful flavour and loads of cloud. I say "used" because due to a recently developed heart condition I have had to give it up, it seems that no form of nicotine agrees with me.

Thanks

did you just stop or switch to 0mg ?
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mantero View Post
    I want to quit smoking using electronic cigarettes, but I don't know what to use. Can anyone recommend me some e cigs brand to start?
    For flavours, you need to get up a proper vape shop and try some of the samplers, really. What I like you might not and there are thousands of flavours from hundreds of companies!!
    The only thing I will say on the matter is do NOT buy the cheap junk from petrol stations. Premium liquids are expensive, but they are also regulated, tested and certified safe.

Reliable brands of device and tank to look for - Joyetech, Eleaf, Ijust, Aspire, Smok, Wismec.
    Again, get up a proper vape shop to see these and get help deciding which is best for you.

A couple of good forums to ask more detailed questions are UKVapers.org and VapedOnline.co.uk, the latter having several company reps on hand to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I say "used" because due to a recently developed heart condition I have had to give it up, it seems that no form of nicotine agrees with me.
    Never contemplated 0% Nic liquids?
    I've known several ex-smokers who still missed it and got into vaping 0%. One was a pipe smoker, who simply missed the clouds!

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

I totally failed at vaping, it just wasn't giving me the dirtiness of a proper fag. So, having read this thread, I was newly incentivised to get back on the vape. At lunch I went to my local shop, and discovered the liquid I was using was very weak, and my battery (aspire CF VV+) just didn't have the oomph required. So I'm now giving it another go with an Aspire Nautilus 2 and a JayBo RX Mini battery. It also came with a free bottle of liquid, and the guy recommended I went with 12mg strength, as opposed to the 3mg I was using.

So, let's see how this one goes. Just need to finish this packet of snout...

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    So I'm now giving it another go with an Aspire Nautilus 2 and a JayBo RX Mini battery. It also came with a free bottle of liquid, and the guy recommended I went with 12mg strength
    Most 'fresh smokers' start vaping at 18, but IMO that's a bit too high. 12 should be pretty good.
    Can't speak for the device, but the Nautilus 2 tank is wicked good - Bloke at work has one and the wife has three (one for each flavour). Even I got one in the end. The coils they use are the best ever, from teh old Nautilus Mini, which they went back to because nothing else is as good!

Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    So, let's see how this one goes. Just need to finish this packet of snout...
    Try and start vaping straight off, iff you can and get in the habit. That will help more than anything else - Getting your head into the idea that this is how you 'smoke' now. The rest will follow.

21. Received thanks from:

Smudger (01-08-2017)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information