Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cuisines around the world

Thanks

Re: cuisines around the world

It's true that if I can easily add to what I have already written. I am relatively well travelled, and I make sure to try to local cuisine whenever I go to a new country (never understood people who travel half the world away only to eat in McDonalds - and I know quite a few. I mean, I am not against the occasional fast food, and acknowledge that even fast food chains in some countries offers local variations that may not be found in others - but not every single meal).

But I must say that I struggle a little whenever someone (nowadays Japanese friends) ask me for some recommendations when they visit the UK. And I guess I am not the only one who make a poor British ambassador because sometime I am asked "I hear that food in the UK isn't great - is that true?". I am quite keen on steaks in the UK because they are comparatively cheaper (yes) than in Japan and and you can get nice ones done even in pubs. I want to suggest curry and kebab, but even though they are so common that they may also be taken as being part of modern British culture, it simply won't be accepted as such from an outsider point of view. I can't say that I am overly enthusiastic when talking about the world famous fish & chips and other well known dishes. There is nothing I can't eat but there simply isn't a lot I am missing now that I am in Japan. Of course there are many very nice restaurants in the UK as well as Michelin starred restaurants operated by celebrity chefs.. but I am usually asked about "traditional dishes".

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post

But I must say that I struggle a little whenever someone (nowadays Japanese friends) ask me for some recommendations when they visit the UK..
    One of the great things about traditional British food being flavourless sludge is that we readily welcome a huge range of foreign foods. Go to Paris and you won't find much apart from traditional French food. Rome? Traditional Italian. In the UK the variety is pretty good even if not always terribly authentic.

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    but I am usually asked about "traditional dishes".
    Sunday roast with proper roast spuds?
    Full English?

Hardly awe inspiring haute cuisine though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    One of the great things about traditional British food being flavourless sludge is that we readily welcome a huge range of foreign foods. Go to Paris and you won't find much apart from traditional French food. Rome? Traditional Italian. In the UK the variety is pretty good even if not always terribly authentic.
    British food like you say has been it's been influenced by many cultures, as has food in almost all other countries though. I think the other influences are just as much to do with empire as anything else. The only developed country I can think of that's had little outside influence on it's food is Japan.

As for Italy, foods people tend to think of as Italian are often imported ideas. Dried pasta as we know it came from noodles from Arabia / Asia. The invention of noodles is almost certainly Chinese. Ice Cream's from Persia and Pizza is Greek.

All countries in Europe have overlapping dishes with regional twists.

British food is pretty good imho. I think you are being a little harsh when you say it's flavourless sludge.

Some of my favorites are far from flavorless... scouse, cullen skink, seasoned pudding, beef wellington, rice pudding, Cornish pastie. Crumpets are awesome and Cheddar cheese is the worlds most popular, so it's can't be that bad.

Thanks

Japanese food has influence from Korean and Chinese food.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kumagoro View Post
    Japanese food has influence from Korean and Chinese food.
    I'm guessing you're Japanese from the name?

I'm sure there were these influences in Japan a long time ago, but from 1633 to 1853 I was under the impression Japan was totally isolated from the rest of the world under the Sakoku policy . Maybe there were influences before 1633, and some small influx after 1853. Traditional Japaneses food is very similar to what they ate over 400 years ago. You can't say that about French cuisine, because it's evolved a lot.

That's why, at least, so i was lead to believe, tomatoes and potatoes (not sweet potatoes) are rare in Japanese dishes.

dux
    Registered+
    Thanks

This is going to sound shallow but I like American food. Simple, good food they eat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information