• Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

I think it's time for a small interest rate rise

I think that we should have had a small interest rate rise by now

The chap on the monetary board who keeps voting for one has a point I think

Senior Bank exec calls for rate rise http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29782257

Let's face it..... There will never ever be a good time for mostpeople who are borrowers to pay a bit more..... But there is also never a ever EVER a good time for a rapid increase.... It needs to be gradual

If the bank of England rose interest rates by 1/ 4 of one percent now and then the same in maybe March we'd have a chance to adapt to it in our lives
    Last edited by Zak33; 27-10-2014 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Mobile phone typo disaster

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Re: I think it's time for a small interest rate rise

Interest rate rise now would add to deflationary pressure, and we really don't want to get stuck in that.

There's no reason why an eventual rise in the future couldn't be gradual either.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

We are not nearly as out of the woods as is sometimes portrayed, the eurozone is very much balanced on a knife edge, Germany slipping into recession, France attempting to get to recession as fast as possible, Italy thinking that leaving the euro could be brilliant, Greece, well still is Greece, Spain is looking at a fracture, and through it all, the EU wants more money from us.

Housing market is likely to have a winter contraction, many people have found in real terms their income has contracted, whilst unemployment has fallen nicely, I think that it would be difficult to do this today.

If things continue as they are trending, then yes, having a small rise would make sense. But given how many little things are in such a precarious manner, I can't help but agree with the consensus.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

kalniel is right, IMHO.

Interest rates are never simple, and right now, we have a very weird economy. But remember this, increasing interest rates will have some effects we need, and some we don't. It's about trying to predict the relative effects, benefits from and damage caused by, several different effects.

An one of the ironies is that inflation is weird, too. Too much = bad. But stranger, for the economy, too little = bad too. For why, look up "deflationary cycle", or "stagnation".

Personally, I'd love to see rates rise. Why? Simple, no debt, no mortgage but a (very modest) level of savings income that's been dire for years. But for the country, I agree with kalniel.

Facts are sacred
    Thanks
    • RobbieRoy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro Ultimate
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 128GB Samsung Evo pro SSD, 1 x 500GB Hitatchi HDD, 2 x 2Tb WD Green in Raid 1 Config.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CS750M
      • Case:
      • Home made wooden desk
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 TP
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB2488HSU-B1
      • Internet:
      • BT

I think there are still too many deflationary forces about, in addition to economic slow down in Germany. The housing market has already slowed and there are significant numbers of mortgage holders who would seriously suffer if rates rose.

Just look at the price of oil -down to around $85 a barrel from $110 not too long ago despite worries about supply arising from situations in Ukraine, Syria, Iraq the price has fallen to lows due to lowered global demand, indicative of economic slow down.

Whilst this will in due course lower consumer prices it will also reduce income for oil exporting countries, such as Russia (already in recession) and also change the economics for investment in fracking (US costs of fracked oil are between $70 and $95 a barrell).

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Oh, and one more thing.

A very small rise will have very small actual economic impact. The bigger impact is that it would signal the start of a direction of travel, and I don't think now is yet the time to send that signal.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Interest rate rise now would add to deflationary pressure, and we really don't want to get stuck in that.
    Given that stagflation is one of the West's biggest problems right now, a bit of deflation pressure arresting inflation wouldn't be a bad thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks

The low interest rates continue to support a zombie economy.

We need to see a gradual rate rise

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    Given that stagflation is one of the West's biggest problems right now, a bit of deflation pressure arresting inflation wouldn't be a bad thing.
    Do you think the fall in oil is not enough?

I think when we look at most UK consumer habbits, the bulk of their spending that has been subject to high inflation, is rent and food. The latter will be reduced swiftly by lower oil price.

Sadly house inflation is used as a positive, so that won't be changing any time soon.

It's such a delicate balance to try and walk, it would be brilliant to have some stimulus now, but sadly we had 13 years of New Labour.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post

It's such a delicate balance to try and walk, it would be brilliant to have some stimulus now, but sadly we had 13 years of New Labour.
    And sadly, may soon get another 5 years of Labour inflicted on us, despite Ed M's best efforts to mess it up.

That, IMHO, is one reason for low turnout. It's depressing having to vote for the least bad option, from a vjoice of dumb or dumber. I'll leave it to individual preference to assign which is which.

It's also one of UKIPs best selling points. Whatever they are, they aren't the other two. It all depends if people can stomach what they think they are.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    It's also one of UKIPs best selling points. Whatever they are, they aren't the other two. It all depends if people can stomach what they think they are.
    Hasn't worked too well for the Greens.

Thanks

Never a easy issue. The rates remain low untill the economy picks up, the problem is that banks are not lending as much as they could and as such the economy is not growing. Even if the rates remain low, if there's not much credit flowing into the system, it wouldnt translate into inflacion..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Hasn't worked too well for the Greens.
    Next to the Greens, UKIP look sane. I say that lightly, as someone who has mostly dated 'immigrants' doesn't have a good pension, isn't going to drop dead in the next 20 years statistically speaking. I mean someone who really isn't a UKIP voting demographic.

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

Quote Originally Posted by lukart View Post
    Never a easy issue. The rates remain low untill the economy picks up, the problem is that banks are not lending as much as they could and as such the economy is not growing. Even if the rates remain low, if there's not much credit flowing into the system, it wouldnt translate into inflacion..
    I'm a bit worried about banks lending too. Everyone hopefully assumes it will be to businesses, while I suspect reality will be to overstretched consumers and on another property boom. Everyone breathes a sigh of relief, feeling happy until the bubble bursts again.

Thanks

TheAnimus - Whilst I agree that the "inflation" rises in food costs will lessen, it will be very much a mixed basket... if you'll excuse the pun.

1. Cereal production and stock holding may be up but many countries are stockpiling, which is lessening trade despite the price drop. Rice is the odd one of the bunch as production went down, but has been at record levels so price is reasonably stable. My guess is that many food companies who have absorbed the increases will look to benefit from the decreases, with any price drop coming from Supermarket pressure.

2. Projected decline in Russian consumption of EU Foods, especially luxury items, may have an impact but some items notably chocolate face much bigger on cost pressures (availability - climate / Ebola). In addition, luxury items are bought by people with money so there will be less incentive to cut prices. So they will probably remain reasonably static in the main, with some increasing or "size shrinking" further.

3. Fruit & Vegetables will benefit most from a reduction in oil price as it comprises a larger proportion of the production cost. However, price per Kg is also significantly affected by Food manufacturing usage. Which in turn is highly influenced by eating habits, so a lot depends on that. Still, buying unpackaged fresh fruit and veg is likely to become an even better option for the price minded.

4. Meat is a difficult one to assess as in some cases, e.g. fish and chicken, availability is a massive cost driver. In addition, changes to the legislation regarding what can go into meat products has had a massive effect on cost. A lot will also depend on levels on consumption and of what type, not just here but in places like China. It also takes a long time in most cases to adjust production to demand, so I wouldn't expect much reduction in inflationary pressure in the short term.

5. Milk and milk products are likely to go in opposite directions. Milk price is unlikely to go up any further, but whether the price will be renegotiated down is a big unknown. Milk product such as cheese are still likely to go up in price due to demand from the far east, while output remains relatively static.
    If Wisdom is the coordination of "knowledge and experience" and its deliberate use to improve well being then how come "Ignorance is bliss"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    Next to the Greens, UKIP look sane. I say that lightly, as someone who has mostly dated 'immigrants' doesn't have a good pension, isn't going to drop dead in the next 20 years statistically speaking. I mean someone who really isn't a UKIP voting demographic.
    I don't think the Tories will ever get over their 'Swivel-eyed loons' slur. Pretty pointless to slur other parties such as the Greens or UKIP. I know a few members from the Green Party and to me they come across as very intelligent types.

As for interest rates, we have a Neoliberalism economy which is very dependent on the housing boom. Burst that bubble with interest rates rise and we're looking at another recession. Blaming Labour or Tory for the state of the economy is pretty pointless when the real issue is neoliberalism.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information