Thread: Recent events in the US made me think of this video

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Recent events in the US made me think of this video

It's amazing to me that such a developed nation, can be so backwards.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

2. Received thanks from:

aidanjt (25-11-2014),KeyboardDemon (25-11-2014)

Thanks
    • Flibb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6300
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250G
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3GB MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr
      • PSU:
      • FSP
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Deffl TFT thing

Re: Recent events in the US made me think of this video

His argument falls apart when you consider that guns are not banned in Australia, firearms ownership stands at about 5% of the population, and extends to the ownership of pistols and full bore rifles, semi auto full bore rifles can also be owned by professional hunters (I assume pest control). Many people think firearms are banned in the UK (especially Americans), although we have restrictions and licensing, we can own quiet a wide range of firearms.
    Last edited by Flibb; 20-11-2014 at 11:37 PM.

Thanks

Norway has strong restrictions on firearms ownership also, yet we know what happened there. While there is a tendency toward rash action after a mass shooting, the issue is far more complicated than that. The overall violent crime rate in the US is dropping every year, we are getting safer, and there is evidence to suggest that relaxing firearms restrictions has actually helped to reduce that crime rate.

Thanks
    • j.o.s.h.1408's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Delux
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 920 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung F1, 500GB Seagate baracuda + 320gb Seagate PATA +150GB WD PATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 480GTX SC edition
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 600W Module PSU FTW
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A7010B (the rolls royce of pc cases)
      • Operating System:
      • vista ultimate edition and windows xp
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22inch 2005FPW dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • 24mb BE There Broadband

Quote Originally Posted by Flibb View Post
    His argument falls apart when you consider that guns are not banned in Australia, firearms ownership stands at about 5% of the population, and extends to the ownership of pistols and full bore rifles, semi auto full bore rifles can also be owned by professional hunters (I assume pest control). Many people think firearms are banned in the UK (especially Americans), although we have restrictions and licensing, we can own quiet a wide range of firearms.
    It is technically banned as it's not easy/very impossible to get a licence here. Plus u can bet your mortgage that it is illegal to carry a fire arm in public too

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

Quote Originally Posted by Flibb View Post
    What percentage of the population had access to guns before the 'ban'?

I'm sure the 15 minutes or so of this show would not have been anywhere near as entertaining if he had decided to stick to all the facts exactly as they are however if after the government's introduction of new laws far fewer people can now carry guns as were able to before, then I think that would be fair to call it a ban on guns.

Thanks

Myself I find it amazing that the US puts so few restrictions on guns, as if honest people need them to keep away the 'dishonest' people. The statistics do not back this up.

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/160/10/929.full

It's the old remark, on average, the citizen who has a gun in their home is over twice as likely to kill themselves or a family member than an intruder.

As a result decreasing the gun ownership is obviously a good idea, so long as violent crime is continuing to fall (which it is globally in the first world).

The problem is that for every gun law that comes in, idiocy circumvents it. Gun Shows being a classic example.

There are large populations of people in the US for whom a gun makes sense, many parts are a wilderness, but the fact is you can still control this. Having a license that is required to ammunition purchase makes a lot of sense. The RFID technology to do this is so cheap.

Additionally rules about storage at home, and restricting access to it could be introduced, much like we have in the UK.

Thanks

It's far deeper and more involved a subject than just, "I want a gun", or, "I have a right to protect myself". It's a right written into the constitution in large part as a civic responsibility.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Kingston 3600 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1300W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 27" XG2703-GS
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

I think it's a case of the genie already being out of the bottle. Guns & gun ownership are so ingrained into American society, that it would be near to impossible to get rid of them now. It does amaze me that in many States, it's perfectly legal to walk into a shop & buy a gun three years before you can legally buy a beer in a bar!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    Myself I find it amazing that the US puts so few restrictions on guns, as if honest people need them to keep away the 'dishonest' people. The statistics do not back this up.

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/160/10/929.full

It's the old remark, on average, the citizen who has a gun in their home is over twice as likely to kill themselves or a family member than an intruder.

As a result decreasing the gun ownership is obviously a good idea, so long as violent crime is continuing to fall (which it is globally in the first world).

The problem is that for every gun law that comes in, idiocy circumvents it. Gun Shows being a classic example.

There are large populations of people in the US for whom a gun makes sense, many parts are a wilderness, but the fact is you can still control this. Having a license that is required to ammunition purchase makes a lot of sense. The RFID technology to do this is so cheap.

Additionally rules about storage at home, and restricting access to it could be introduced, much like we have in the UK.
    What is the logic behind linking suicide and home invasions with relation to gun ownership? The US has almost exactly the same suicide rate as the UK. Advocating for gun laws to prevent suicide clearly doesn't work. Aside from that, the goal of defending your home from an intruder isn't to kill. The most current research into defensive uses of a gun, even when it isn't fired, suggests a rate closer to 100:1. There is a huge volume of research supporting John Lott's 'More guns, less crime,', hypothesis, including a congressional review.

Laws requiring restricted access in the home are obviously going to do nothing to address suicide, laws requiring that children don't have access already exist.

I'm not sure what issue you have with gun shows. The recent 'gun show loophole' is an entirely fabricated argument. No loophole exists under federal law.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Galant View Post
    It's far deeper and more involved a subject than just, "I want a gun", or, "I have a right to protect myself". It's a right written into the constitution in large part as a civic responsibility.
    It is indeed a civic responsibility. Someone carrying a gun has the ability to protect themselves. It's no wonder that the rate of attempted muggings and violent crime in general has reduced more in states that allow concealed carry, as oppose to those which don't.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrJim View Post
    I think it's a case of the genie already being out of the bottle. Guns & gun ownership are so ingrained into American society, that it would be near to impossible to get rid of them now. It does amaze me that in many States, it's perfectly legal to walk into a shop & buy a gun three years before you can legally buy a beer in a bar!
    Only a Rifle or Shotgun, not a handgun, but this is criticism of the idiotic, puritanical attitudes to alcohol more than anything else.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TeePee View Post
    What is the logic behind linking suicide and home invasions with relation to gun ownership? The US has almost exactly the same suicide rate as the UK. Advocating for gun laws to prevent suicide clearly doesn't work. Aside from that, the goal of defending your home from an intruder isn't to kill. The most current research into defensive uses of a gun, even when it isn't fired, suggests a rate closer to 100:1. There is a huge volume of research supporting John Lott's 'More guns, less crime,', hypothesis, including a congressional review.
    It's about the availability of them. The same idea as limiting sale of paracetamol to fewer tablets per transaction.

The statistic is valid, the gun is more likely to harm you or a family member, than act as a protection device.

Laws requiring restricted access in the home are obviously going to do nothing to address suicide, laws requiring that children don't have access already exist.
    It's more a case of how can you prevent people who are unstable from having access to weapons, the key thing from the report I linked was the access that people had to the weapon. As the common groups for attempting suicide are not normally the father figure.
    I'm not sure what issue you have with gun shows. The recent 'gun show loophole' is an entirely fabricated argument. No loophole exists under federal law.
    I was under the impression that certain towns made an industry selling guns to Mexican cartels!

The fact is as wikipedia states http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_show_loophole

Quote Originally Posted by wackypedia
    Gun show loophole is a pejorative term-of-art that refers to private sellers at gun shows not being required to perform a background check on private buyers, in a longstanding practice of private commerce in the United States.[1][2][3] Such commerce is legal by Federal law in all states, but some states have passed laws requiring all gun sales to go through a Federal Firearms License (FFL) holder before being transferred. Private sellers are however forbidden under federal law from selling firearms or ammunition to persons they know or have reason to believe are felons or are otherwise prohibited from purchasing firearms.[4]
    Which is the issue, that's terrible for controlling something. There isn't any real checking or restriction going on with private sales.

Not to mention the lack of identification on ammunition. In the UK if someone stole your licensed firearm and you hadn't made adequate steps to keep it safe, you'd be liable.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    It's about the availability of them. The same idea as limiting sale of paracetamol to fewer tablets per transaction.

The statistic is valid, the gun is more likely to harm you or a family member, than act as a protection device.

It's more a case of how can you prevent people who are unstable from having access to weapons, the key thing from the report I linked was the access that people had to the weapon. As the common groups for attempting suicide are not normally the father figure.I was under the impression that certain towns made an industry selling guns to Mexican cartels!

The fact is as wikipedia states http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_show_loophole

Which is the issue, that's terrible for controlling something. There isn't any real checking or restriction going on with private sales.

Not to mention the lack of identification on ammunition. In the UK if someone stole your licensed firearm and you hadn't made adequate steps to keep it safe, you'd be liable.
    It may be more likely to be used in suicide than kill an intruder, but it certainly isn't more likely to be used to harm you than protect you. That's a very different statement, and utterly false.

As for the 'gun show loophole', there are, in most states, no restrictions on sales between private individuals. Sales from a business are required to follow the same background check laws as any other gun shop. The gun show going on in the background changes nothing, there is no loophole in federal laws relating to gun shows. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_show_loophole

Entire US towns on't have an industry selling guns to cartels. That's the US government's job.

In the US if someone stole your firearm and you hadn't made adequate steps to keep it safe, you'd be liable.

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

As often is the case it's not guns but people that are the problem, granted giving problem people guns is going to worsen the situation.

Switzerland is one of the key examples here, which has one of the highest gun ownership rates in the world but also one of the lowest murder rates, granted the high ownership rate is in a large part from the national service & militia system in Switzerland which means that almost every male over the age of 20 is given a SIG-SG550 assault rifle after their basic training and has to keep it in their home, regular target range practise is also encouraged and the government actually subsidises the privet sale of swiss 5.56mm standard military rounds at target ranges.
    Although it should also be noted that murder involving firearms is higher in Switzerland than most of europe.

Here's a fun interactive map http://www.theguardian.com/news/data...-homicides-map

It's also worth noting that the worst high school killings in history happen in the US in 1927, Andrew Philip Kehoe, killing 44 people and injuring 58 with dynamite, not guns.

HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrJim View Post
    It does amaze me that in many States, it's perfectly legal to walk into a shop & buy a gun three years before you can legally buy a beer in a bar!
    Here, you can legally have sex two years before watching it...

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

and you can buy a cigarette on a plane.. and not be allowed to smoke it

you can buy condoms, porn and sec toys in public.. but not sport a naked erection

and you CAN walk in public with a firearm.. it must be unloaded and in a gun slip.. but it's still there.. with you.. in the high street on the way to the gun shop.

you can carry a certain length folding knife ..but 1 mm longer or it be a lock knife.. and it's all change...

my point: laws evolve, they are organic.. and the dont all tie together locially like wasps and giraffes dont make sense if you take them apart.. but they do work for the life they evolved to live themselves.

Gun law per se is not to be blamed... and guns are not to be blamed at all.....its humans and you just cant control them properly....

I remember in the 80's when lots of people in public/footbal matches/pubs were being cut badly ..not in fights, but by walk bye's... not with flick knives.. or lock knives.. but with craft knives. You dont even feel a craft knife cut.. and you don't fel it being snapped off in you either.. but you still die soon after.. of your leg stops working.. and you bleed to death. Or your arm won't move. and you bleed to death

Craft knives are not to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thread Information