• 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
      • Operating System:
      • OS X Yosemite

Re: What colour is it?

I've developed another version using sine functions, since this one seems a little arbitrary just plotting hours, minutes and seconds into hexadecimal values: http://whatcolorisit.sumbioun.com/

It covers the entire spectrum in 24 hours, providing a smoother composition of colors during the day. Each time of day has its own color, which is modulated tens of times every second.
    Last edited by scaryjim; 01-01-2015 at 11:04 PM. Reason: adding link

2. Received thanks from:

scaryjim (01-01-2015),TaintedShirt (02-01-2015)

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Joshyy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR3@1866
      • Storage:
      • 512GB MX100, 128GB Vertex 4
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x Powercolour R9-290
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM1000
      • Case:
      • NZXT H440
      • Operating System:
      • Windows
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3x ACER VE247H
      • Internet:
      • 300 Mbit/s down - 30 Mbit/s up.

Quote Originally Posted by bennu View Post
    I've developed another version using sine functions, since this one seems a little arbitrary just plotting hours, minutes and seconds into hexadecimal values: whatcolorisit.sumbioun.com/

It covers the entire spectrum in 24 hours, providing a smoother composition of colors during the day. Each time of day has its own color, which is modulated tens of times every second.
    What's the correlation between the time and the colour?

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

I've developed another version using sine functions, since this one seems a little arbitrary just plotting hours, minutes and seconds into hexadecimal values: http://whatcolorisit.sumbioun.com/...
    Thanks for posting this up, I've just been to have a look and you've obviously put a lot of work into it; very impressive stuff I've edited your original post to make the link clickable (we have post count limits on posting links as part of our anti-spam measures!). It's great to have another eager contributor to hexus, and I hope you'll hang around and enjoy your time here

Thanks
    • bennu's system
      • CPU:
      • 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
      • Operating System:
      • OS X Yosemite

Quote Originally Posted by Joshyy View Post
    What's the correlation between the time and the colour?
    Hi Joshyy, there are three phased sine functions that govern the hue of each RGB color across the day. At midnight blue has its highest value, which means red and green are at a low value. Green peaks at 8 am and red peaks at 4 pm. The definition that green should be more prominent in the morning, red should represent the afternoon and blue the night is somewhat arbitrary [it actually relates to my perceiving the colors of day and night in my city, Belo Horizonte].

Take a look at the four main sine functions that define the hexadecimal values for each color at each time of day:
    [since I am new to the forum, I still cannot post URL's, so I edited the link below to be displayed as text]
    whatcolorisit.sumbioun.com/-ref/study-hi.jpg

There are also three other sine functions [not shown in the graph above] that modulate red, green and blue several times in a second.

Thanks
    • bennu's system
      • CPU:
      • 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
      • Operating System:
      • OS X Yosemite

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Thanks for posting this up, I've just been to have a look and you've obviously put a lot of work into it; very impressive stuff I've edited your original post to make the link clickable (we have post count limits on posting links as part of our anti-spam measures!). It's great to have another eager contributor to hexus, and I hope you'll hang around and enjoy your time here
    Thanks scaryjim! I am happy to be here and really flattered by your interest in what I have developed following the original idea by scn9a.org. There are several follow-up ideas I am considering to develop when I have the time. Joshyy posed a great question concerning the correlation of time and color, which in the current version represents my personal perception of each period of the day [since it was necessary for my algorithm to define a time of day in which each color would become more prominent].

I am thinking about ways in which the algorithm could be improved, accounting for more variables [where in the world each visitor is located, local sunset and sunrise times, current phase of the moon, and probably a way in which each user can define what color best represents each time of day, so their individual clocks can be customized and the overall clock can represent the collection of impressions about the correlations of color and time for each user that decided to contribute].

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Joshyy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR3@1866
      • Storage:
      • 512GB MX100, 128GB Vertex 4
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x Powercolour R9-290
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM1000
      • Case:
      • NZXT H440
      • Operating System:
      • Windows
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3x ACER VE247H
      • Internet:
      • 300 Mbit/s down - 30 Mbit/s up.

Hi Joshyy, there are three phased sine functions that govern the hue of each RGB color across the day. At midnight blue has its highest value, which means red and green are at a low value. Green peaks at 8 am and red peaks at 4 pm. The definition that green should be more prominent in the morning, red should represent the afternoon and blue the night is somewhat arbitrary [it actually relates to my perceiving the colors of day and night in my city, Belo Horizonte].

Take a look at the four main sine functions that define the hexadecimal values for each color at each time of day:
    [since I am new to the forum, I still cannot post URL's, so I edited the link below to be displayed as text]
    whatcolorisit.sumbioun.com/-ref/study-hi.jpg

There are also three other sine functions [not shown in the graph above] that modulate red, green and blue several times in a second.
    That's interesting, I've never seen it interpreted this way. I've set it to my bookmark for when my third monitor is idle

Thanks
    • bennu's system
      • CPU:
      • 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
      • Operating System:
      • OS X Yosemite

great! keep me posted if you find anything interesting while letting the clock run all day

Large Member
    Thanks

... it actually relates to my perceiving the colors of day and night in my city, Belo Horizonte...
    Hah! I await a UK version. Easier I'll warrant to hard-code a steely grey for all times and seasons!
    To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information