Thread: Graffiti (sp?)

Thanks

Graffiti (sp?)

Firstly, I'm never sure whether to put things like this in general of question time....

Secondly, I AM NOT SAYING GRAFFITI IS ALWAYS GOOD, AND YOU SHOULD NEVER DAMAGE OTHER PEOPLES' PROPERTY.

I was reading the paper this morning, and there was a letter in there that someone had sent - probably refering to a past artical (that I hadn't read). Basically, it said that graffiti should be taken as an artform, and not a crime. It went on to say that the government should recognise this, and instead of punishing graffiti artists, it should encourage them. The reasons were thus:

* Stopped people doing more "serious" crimes - ie they had a hobby
    * It "brightened" the place up.

Now for my views. I think I agree with this guy - as long as it's done correctly. I agree that people should do it on other peoples' personal property without permission, but so long as they have permission, I think it's fine. I do think that the govenment could set up some indoor (or even outdoor) walls that can be graffitied upon. Then each week, it's painted over etc.

I'm not a graffiti artist or anything, but I just think that the govenment is going about this the wrong way. Yes they should punish those who mark other peoples' property, but IMO others should be incouraged.

Thanks
    While I agree that walls might be a good idea, many people graffiti because it's discouraged, so I don't think it will really help that much.
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Thanks
    This has always confused me a bit: Besides the 'Arty' stuff (pictures of scenery/people, srubbishrubbishrubbishrubbishy bubble writing etc), why do people do it? I'm talking about when they've just scrawled a tag onto the wall?

Thanks
    • rox0r's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair IV Formula
      • CPU:
      • AMD PHENOM2 X6 1090T
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 240Gb SSD, 1 x 1Tb F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD R9 280x
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650 Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Designs R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2709W 27"
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity
    Basically the same as a dog pissing on a lamp-post, territory marking.

Tech-ignorant Factoid
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klarrix
    This has always confused me a bit: Besides the 'Arty' stuff (pictures of scenery/people, srubbishrubbishrubbishrubbishy bubble writing etc), why do people do it? I'm talking about when they've just scrawled a tag onto the wall?
    Quote Originally Posted by roxOr
    Basically the same as a dog pissing on a lamp-post, territory marking.
    Still, it makes you wonder, doesnt it.

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks
    Yeah, I have to say (even though i'm a young-un) I do like the look of some graffiti, the actual art such as the full building sides, but the tags, not good.

It's a tricky situation because if we encourage it and discourage it at the same time, as already said, they do it because they are not allowed, so it wouldn't have that much effect.

That said, there are some places/events such as the "graffiti" jams they have so they can legally graffiti on walls etc.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by r1zeek
    That said, there are some places/events such as the "graffiti" jams they have so they can legally graffiti on walls etc.
    That's exactly what I mean. I was sure they existed, but had never actually see or heard of one. Therefore there can't be many of them about. There should be more.

And yes - I like some types of graffiti art too .

MD
    Thanks
    • MD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-M PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 - i3570k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 256GB SSD's (Samsung and Crucial)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVidia 640
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 600W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08e MATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell Flat Panel
      • Internet:
      • 60mb Virgin Media
    some of the stuff they do is just mind boggling, but I have to say, everytime I go to London and travel on the tube and trains you see it and wonder why they do it, I remember a while back an episode of faking it where they took a northern guy who had a priviliged upbringing and tried to bring him into the scene, its quite a 'circle of friends' as it were, 'legalising' it will take away the resons people so it, but I am all for they being given the opportunity to do official pieces for cultural reasons, better than half the prize chuff some 'artists' put out.

m@
    Please do not message me about Scan Free shipping, I no longer work for HEXUS.net

Spanked Member
    Thanks
    I agree with the "Graffati is an artform" statement. . . basically, when done well, it's awesome . . . but when its done by some chav with a permanent marker nicked from school ala "leanne 4 Davey 4eva xxx" - thats just wrong.

A mate went to berlin recently and took back loads of photos of basically nothing BUT graffati. The entire place was graffiti city - it was absolutely awesome - gave a run down city a real sense of belonging. Even delapitated buildings - each and every inch and corner was rooted in graffiti, and it was all well f'ing amazing imo. The trains as well - just about everything.

Up here, graffiti is rather rare. The only place Ive really seen good bits are tucked away from the city centre eyes (despite being in the city centre) . . . and recently some of it was scrubbed off

OK, I have no qualms with discouraging defacement of private property . . . but on public property, I dont really have a problem with it. I feel it livens the place up, I like the more street/urban culture than say the Yahs . . . but at the same time, it would probably need to be regulated which reverts back to Yes you can graffiti here, or No you cant.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by visidigi
    I remember a while back an episode of faking it where they took a northern guy who had a priviliged upbringing and tried to bring him into the scene
    I saw that!!

[aristocraticaccent] radical, yea.. um.. dude.[/aristocraticaccent]

classic!

Large Member
    Thanks
    They set-up an outdoor graffiti wall on the estate I used to live it. Somone set fire to it...
    To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

Thanks
    Proper graf if an art. Tagging you name in a single colour single stroked mess isn't.

The local skatepark here used to white out their graff walls every two weeks, worked well as every few weeks you'd get a new peice. We had artists come up from london to do a peice on our walls. Inside the skateshop they had photos of all the peices, there were some amazing stuff I'll say.

Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomic
    Proper graf if an art. Tagging you name in a single colour single stroked mess isn't.
    Couldn't agree more, i think proper grafitti is amazing! They look so good it really takes talent to do it. But i hate the tags that are everywhere that they use markers or scratch it on train windows.
    You've got to have a dream, if you don't have a dream, how you gonna have a dream come true?

Thread Information