View Poll Results: Should voting be made compulsory?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 35.85%
  • No

34 64.15%
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Should voting be made compulsory?

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

Should voting be made compulsory?

So it looks like last time only 65% of people who were able do vote did so. It looks like only around 44% of 18-24 year olds bothered to turn up.

I personally think that voting is the responsibility of a member of a democratic society, not a right.

The caveat is obviously that you can spoil your ballot paper. 35% of ballot papers would probably send a message too.

Thanks

Re: Should voting be made compulsory?

For me, voting would be a waste of time. I live in a Labour 'safe seat', which means effectively my vote doesn't make any difference. I would vote for a changing to a PR voting system, but nobody seems to be offering that.

3. Received thanks from:

Galant (23-04-2015)

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

..but would it still be safe if 35% of people that don't normally vote turned up and voted against the labour candidate?

Thanks

Nope, no, never.

Doing that would force people to :

a) Vote for people they don't really want to (best of a bad bunch)
    b) Spoil their ballot in defiance
    c) Make impulsive and poorly thought out decisions based on single headline policies.

Of course it's someone's 'right' to make the above decisions

I know it's nice to view voting as a 'responsibility' but plenty of folks don't know enough to do so or just don't care, and that's their right.

As Jon kind of alluded to none of the parties offer anything at present to make me want to vote for them, they all have one or two good policies but of course you can't please everyone.

I think they're all much of a muchness anyway, over promising, weak-willed and playing the game rather than making any attempt to actually make things better.

I might spoil my paper this time :/

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

I would be in favour of compulsory voting if they added an option to either tick a box to abstain or a box that says you have no confidence in any of the candidates or partys etc...

Registered+
    Thanks

No it shouldn't be compulsory.

Not voting is just as political an act as voting, and just as equal a right.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Jonatron View Post
    For me, voting would be a waste of time. I live in a Labour 'safe seat', which means effectively my vote doesn't make any difference. I would vote for a changing to a PR voting system, but nobody seems to be offering that.
    During the current government there was a referendum to change to PR like system, so you've already voted on that. It failed by a huge margin.

I think it should be compulsory - would make the views of the apathetic slightly more important to MPs.

9. Received thanks from:

KeyboardDemon (19-04-2015)

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

Quote Originally Posted by BlueScream View Post
    No it shouldn't be compulsory.

Not voting is just as political an act as voting, and just as equal a right.
    I'm not sure you're right on this tbh. Most people I've spoken to "Can't be bothered."

If you're conciously not voting because you disagree with all of the above, you should, IMO spoil your paper. Not voting through apathy allows the rise of extremist parties and the other parties to claim they won even when they only secured a small fraction of votes available.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jonatron View Post
    So do I. It's had a wopping great Labour majority for ...., well, as long as I can remember. Then it went Tory in 2010. You could've blown me over with a wave of a small feather.

Agreed on PR, though it depends exactly what form. Some are less problematic that others.
    Some people will find some effects unpalatable, though. For instance, based on polling data, UKIP are at around 15-16% which, if relected in Parliament, gives them about 1 in 6 seat, or around 108 seats. Both Labour and Tory at around 32% get about 220 each .... 'ish.

That very likely puts a Tory /UKIP coalition in power as a coalition of the right, which in turn might serious p .... erm, irritate the Scots sufficiently to vote Yes to independence, which in turn only increases the size of the proportion of Tory and UKIP votes, perhaps leading to a more-or-less permanent Tory/UKIP coalition.

I don't know about anybody else, but I don't want to see ANY government, of ANY flavour, with such a hard-to-boot-out in-built edge, as it tends to make them arrogant and dismissive of the interests of us, the people. Examples aren't hard to find, and include the latter years of Thatcher (Poll tax) and Blair (Iraq ahd dodgy dossier).

Snr Mbr I ain't that old
    Thanks
    • aramil's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570k delided CLU XSPC-Raystorm
      • Memory:
      • corsair vengeance 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 evo 250 Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GeForce GTX 980 Super Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • corsair tx750 v2
      • Case:
      • Zalman MS800
      • Operating System:
      • MS Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 27" 2560x1440
      • Internet:
      • 75-down 17-up

I don't think you could compel anyone to vote unless you add an option for "none of the above".

I always vote for the party/candidate that I disagree with the least. Not really the way it is meant to work, but it is that or not to bother........

I get the feeling that the voting system will be changed/updated in the near future (depending on who almost/sort of, wins), but who knows what the political bubble will decide....
    Intel i7 8700K delidded | Asus TUF Z370 Gaming Plus | Palit GTX980 SuperJetStream 4Gb | Samsung 840 EVO 240Gb | Samsung 1Tb F2 | WD 1Tb & 2Tb | Corsair 750TX v2 | 32Gb Corsair Vengence | Saitek Cyborg EVO F.S. | Zalman MS800 | Corsair K90 | AOC 27" 2560x1440 |AOC 24" HD | HTC Vive
    “This post was written using 100% recycled words.”

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b0redom View Post
    So it looks like last time only 65% of people who were able do vote did so. It looks like only around 44% of 18-24 year olds bothered to turn up.

I personally think that voting is the responsibility of a member of a democratic society, not a right.

The caveat is obviously that you can spoil your ballot paper. 35% of ballot papers would probably send a message too.
    I don't see spoiling the ballot as an acceptable alternative. A 'none of the above" option, however, clearly indicates a conscious and deliberately exercised decision to reject ALL of the offered candidates, which is precisely why I don't believe we'll ever get it. It's too easy for politicians to dismiss and ignore spoiled ballots, not least because one interpretation is an objection in principle to being forced to vote in the first place. A "nobody" vote, on the other hand, unequivocably says that that voter will participate in the system and vote, but rejects all the candidates. It also could totally destroy the current claim of "apathy" and, in the event that, as is very plausible, the "None" vote would be VERY big, and that would undermine or destroy any claims, such as over the last 30 or 40 years, that a third of the population voting either Tory of Labour is a "mandate" from the people, because that claim has always relied in large part on an asumption that non-voters would break down in roughly the same way as voters, if they just bothered to vote. A "None" vote just might show very large numbers deliberately don't vote. Imagine the damage to the image we treasure of "democracy" if "None if the above" actually won?

I support mandatory voting if, AND ONLY IF, conscioysly voting "None" was an option, and I don't see any chance we'll ever get that. So, I vote (here) No to mandatory voting in this poll.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    During the current government there was a referendum to change to PR like system, so you've already voted on that. It failed by a huge margin.

I think it should be compulsory - would make the views of the apathetic slightly more important to MPs.
    AV had problems of it's own. I would support a genuinely proportional system, despite it's problems, but AV wasn't. It was a fudge. Which is why I voted against it. A truly PR system, probably with an element of STV, however, I could vote for .... not least because it largely removes the need for tactical voting.

Thanks
    • Andy3536's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-880GMA
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95w @3.8
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1T WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 4870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750
      • Case:
      • Antec P-182

Quote Originally Posted by aramil View Post
    I don't think you could compel anyone to vote unless you add an option for "none of the above".

I always vote for the party/candidate that I disagree with the least. Not really the way it is meant to work, but it is that or not to bother........

I get the feeling that the voting system will be changed/updated in the near future (depending on who almost/sort of, wins), but who knows what the political bubble will decide....
    I'll take Conservative/UKIP coalition over Labour/SNP any day. The idea that the SNP could have any sway over anything south of the boarder is appaling. Untill they're an all encompassing party with MPs south of the boarder they can stay up there. We really don't want to see people that hate the English ruling over the English.
    And as for UKIP and conservatives. At least finally we'd get that referendum on the EU, which both Labour and Conservatives have promised in the past and not delivered.

As for the OP, i don't think it should be made compulsory. It's been made easier for people with the ability of postal voting. But tbh, if people don't feel engaged by politics so that they don't want to vote for anyone, then they shouldn't have to.
    Certainly more of an effort should be made to get young people engaged with politics, mabee MPs should go to schools and talk to kids about why it's important. But most parties are variations of a theme, it's like deciding between 2 sandwiches in a shop that are left that arn't one's you'd normally prefer.
    The voting system won't change though, we had the vote on PR and it was rejected. We'll not likely see another effort to change things for a good few years. House of Lords reform is about the best your likely to see.
    Last edited by Andy3536; 19-04-2015 at 01:37 PM. Reason: I can't smell

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy3536 View Post
    I'll take Conservative/UKIP coalition over Labour/SNP any day. The idea that the SNP could have any sway over anything south of the boarder is appaling. Untill they're an all encompassing party with MPs south of the boarder they can stay up there. We really don't want to see people that hate the English ruling over the English.
    And as for UKIP and conservatives. At least finally we'd get that referendum on the EU, which both Labour and Conservatives have promised in the past and not delivered.

As for the OP, i don't think it should be made compulsory. It's been made easier for people with the ability of postal voting. But tbh, if people don't feel engaged by politics so that they don't want to vote for anyone, then they shouldn't have to.
    Certainly more of an effort should be made to get young people engeged with politics, mabee MPs should go to schools and talk to kids about why it's important. But most parties are variations of a theme, it's like deciding between 2 sandwiches in a shop that are left that arn't one's you'd normally prefer.
    The voting system won't change though, we had the vote on PR and it was rejected. We'll not likely see another effort to change things for a good few years. House of Lords reform is about the best your likely to see.
    Agreed, on most of that, but do you really think MPs going into schools will enthuse kids and imbue a sense of civic responsibility? From my experiences with, and views of, most MPs, it's more likely to put the kids off for life.

Thanks
    • Andy3536's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-880GMA
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95w @3.8
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1T WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 4870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750
      • Case:
      • Antec P-182

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    From my experiences with, and views of, most MPs, it's more likely to put the kids off for life.
    Your probably right
    But you don't know untill you try. Mabee schools could make more of an effort without MPs ....
    Although Boris Johnson is very much the cartoon character, kids will find him very amusing

Thanks
    • excalibur2's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z77-d3h
      • CPU:
      • Intel 2500k @4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2X4gb Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • WD 2tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 750
      • Case:
      • Haf-x tower
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell u2410
      • Internet:
      • broadband with Plusnet

No compulsory vote as all the immigrants that have entered the country in the last 10 years would probably vote labour Blair's hidden agenda?
    2nd computer gigabyte P965ds3p, 7770 E2140@2.9ghz, corsair HX520 6 years stable, replaced now with E8400@3.9ghz and will overclock more when I'm bored.

19. Received thanks from:

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information