Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Qatar World Cup - Helping Hand into Modernity or Easy (& Dirty) Money for FIFA?

Thanks

Qatar World Cup - Helping Hand into Modernity or Easy (& Dirty) Money for FIFA?

A recent BBC article tells the story of a BBC crew who were arrested, imprisoned, told they couldn't leave the country and now, having been released, still haven't received back their property which was confiscated.

Some select quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    "We were invited to Qatar by the prime minister's office to see new flagship accommodation for low-paid migrant workers in early May - but while gathering additional material for our report, we ended up being thrown into prison for doing our jobs.

A dozen security officers frisked us in the street, shouting at us when we tried to talk. They took away our equipment and hard drives and drove us to their headquarters.

We were never accused of anything directly, instead they asked over and over what we had done and who we had met.

An hour into my grilling, one of the interrogators brought out a paper folder of photographs which proved they had been trailing me in cars and on foot for two days since the moment I'd arrived. I was shown pictures of myself and the team standing in the street, at a coffee shop, on board a bus and even lying next to a swimming pool with friends. It was a shock. I had never suspected I was being tailed.

In perfect English and with more than a touch of malice, he threatened us with another four days in prison - to teach us a lesson.
    I began my second night in prison on a disgusting soiled mattress. At least we did not go hungry, as we had the previous day. One of the guards took pity on us and sent out for roast chicken with rice.
    In the early hours of the next morning, just as suddenly as we were arrested, we were released.
    Bizarrely, we were allowed to join the organised press trip for which we had come.
    It was as if nothing had happened, despite the fact that our kit was still impounded, and we were banned from leaving the country.
    I can only report on what has happened now that our travel ban has been lifted.
    No charges were brought, but our belongings have still not been returned.

Other journalists and activists, including a German TV crew, have also recently been detained.
    How the country handles the media, as it prepares to host one of the world's most watched sporting events, is now also becoming a concern.
    Mustafa Qadri, Amnesty International's Gulf migrant rights researcher, told us the detentions of journalists and activists could be attempts "to intimidate those who seek to expose labour abuse in Qatar".
    Qatar, the world's richest country for its population size of little more than two million people, is pouring money into trying to improve its reputation for allowing poor living standards for low-skilled workers to persist.

Before we were detained, I met an 18-year-old mechanic, one of the 400,000 Nepalese workers there.
    He said he wanted to support his older brothers because his father had died and the family was struggling financially.
    He paid a recruitment agency in Nepal $600 to arrange his visa to work in Qatar and was told he would earn $300 a month.
    When he arrived he was told his salary, as a labour camp cleaner for air conditioning mechanics, was in fact $165 a month. He said he has never been given a copy of the contract he signed. Worse still, he said he could not understand it as it was in English.
    It's a very common trick that foreign recruitment agents play before workers even get to Qatar, and very difficult for Qatar itself to police, although it says it is trying."

So is this a good thing because Qatar's exposure to the 'international world' will force Qatar to 'modernise' or is this just a case of Qatari leadership and FIFA coming together to get even more loaded? And should large sporting organisations like FIFA, UEFA, the Olympic Committee, and other leagues and orgs work with nations who aren't exactly 'above board' in their dealings - e.g. China, Cuba etc.?

Personally, I think it's about the money. I think there are possible benefits to this, but I don't think those benefits will be the lasting legacy of this event. I think someone's fat bank account will be.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

Re: Qatar World Cup - Helping Hand into Modernity or Easy (& Dirty) Money for FIFA?

FIFA: For the love of Money the game

*Anyone know how to get strikethrough?
    Last edited by Smudger; 20-05-2015 at 01:20 PM.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Re: Qatar World Cup - Helping Hand into Modernity or Easy (& Dirty) Money for FIFA?

I have a friend who has to go to SA on a regular basis for his job......he has been talking about the place being effectively a slave state for a while, it seems that the World Cup has caused the issue to be brought to the forefront again and the country seems to be trying a rather odd damage limitation exercise....
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

IMO, while sporting events may modernise physical infrastructures, it will do little to change social challenges. It might in the short term cause a country to dress up the issue for the press or censor it in this case, but once the event is over, it'll be business as usual unless there was a movement for change in the first place (independant from the sporting event). I am also under the impression that FIFA doesn;t let those kind of issues affect their decision to hold a World Cup.

Thanks

It's all about the money. Qatar wanted it for a big publicity event to boost tourism and put it on the map and they paid big bucks to FIFA officials to get it. Win-win for the fat cats at the top. Nothing more to it imo.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    FIFA: For the love of [STRIKE]Money[/STRIKE] the game

*Anyone know how to get strikethrough?
    Yes

HTH x

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    Yes

HTH x
    Got it, ta!

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

It's always about the money. IMO there should be a lot of countries refusing to take part but the world is not a pleasant place full of nice people who have each others best interests at heart.

Thanks
    • Lanky123's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-H81M-D2V
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4570
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD + 2+4TB HDD + 3TB Synology DS216SE
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Radeon R9 270X HAWK
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone Strider 400W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02B-F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 / Ubuntu 16.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • ElectriQ 32" 4k IPS + Dell 22" U2212HM
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 60Mbit/s

Definitely the money, but as with all politicians they worry about the image they're projecting even if they don't care about the reality. So long as they *look* like they're doing something to help...

Another good example today: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32812288 Sounds like next to nothing useful was agreed, but Blatter gets a nice press shot releasing a dove so it's all OK. Who does he think he is...

Thanks

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/27/fo...ent/index.html

Wonder when the US will host the next World Cup after this

Thanks
    • virtuo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 64Gb G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent 2TB PCIE4 NVME + NAS upon NAS upon NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3090 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2 Grey
      • Operating System:
      • RedStar 3, Ubuntu, Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung CRG90 5140x1440 120hz
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet's best, but still poor, attempt

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    "We were invited to Qatar by the prime minister's office to see new flagship accommodation for low-paid migrant workers in early May - but while gathering additional material for our report, we ended up being thrown into prison for doing our jobs.
    So they were invited to report on something specific, they are a bit light on what the "additional material" they were gathering was. Wonder if there were any terms or clauses as to what they were allowed to report on.

Would be interesting to hear the story from both sides and not just the accounts of a BBC film crew, possibly snooping where they shouldn't have been.

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable

Definitely the money; I reckon the best perspective on this is still John Oliver's - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJEt2KU33I

The only people that accrue lasting benefits are FIFA and the people they pay off.

13. Received thanks from:

Galant (27-05-2015)

Thanks
    • The Hand's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200mhz (8GBx2)
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Kingston SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce RTX 2060 Super 8GB Dual Series
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520 Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Praetorian
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Sony 32 inch HD TV
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbps Fibre

Blatter should resign at the very least.. Even if he hasn't been collared (yet!). Never trust a man in a double-breasted jacket I say. Glad FIFA is finally reaping what it sows.

Thanks

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Galant View Post
    Superb.

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x1tb Hitachi 7200's, WD Velociraptor 320gb primary
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win10/Slackware Linux dual box
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 24" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

Interestingly (or not), the charges from the US are stemming from activities that date back 20 years ago to present, and deals more with corruption involving the use of the US banking system, which gets the feds all worked up here. It's the Swiss that are going after FIFA for Qatar and Russia. At the rate they're going, there may only be 1 or 2 FIFA officials not in jail or on the lam by the time the Russian games roll around. If they roll around. Not going to get into the politics of things - not really the proper place for it, I don't think.

But it was kind of fun watching Katty Kay (BBC America) correcting herself a few times during the broadcast this evening, calling the sport football and then changing it to soccer. (no, most Americans still won't call it football, because we sort of have our own sport with that name, which is a far larger financial machine than 'soccer' is.)
    Esse Quam Videri
    Out on the road today I saw a Black Flag Sticker on a Cadillac...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information