Thread: PICS: Manchester Magic VS Sheffield Arrows

Tom
    Thanks

PICS: Manchester Magic VS Sheffield Arrows

My first sports shoot (in fact first shoot at all) with the 20D, before i had even had time to read the manual lol Main thing i gained from this shoot was learning the camera.

The arena was pretty dark, even the pro i met who was shooting with a D2H and 70-200mm F2.8 VR was shooting @ 3200 and still complaining about not enough light. These were at ISO 800, i didnt think til after that i couldve gotten away with more and probably ended up with less noise caused by bringing underexposed images back.

The 18-55mm lens is NOT suitable for shooting inside sports, maxing out @ 55mm and having a horrible F5.6 didnt help at all. Until i can afford a telefoto I will probably shoot future games with the F1.8 50mm that should arrive this week. This combats the light problem but still leaves me too far away

Manchester Magic VS Sheffield Arrows, Amaechi Basketball Centre 18-12-2004

These have made the clubs official website as well, www.gmybasketball.co.uk click magic report 19/12 on the right hand site, and I am Tom Platt. Mike Arnfield is the pro i mentioned before

Any comments are greatly welcomed
    Last edited by Tom; 21-12-2004 at 07:49 PM.

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    Those are pretty damn good for the 18-55

The main advantage of the telephoto is that you'll be able to get in on the player's faces better..

Have you got a flashgun yet?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Tom
    Thanks
    No, and when I do i wont be using it for games, as I'd constantly be thinking that I am distracting the players. As a player myself, i know itd p*ss me off being blinded when i try to shoot.

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    yeah stick with high speeds for that. you can push the 20D up to 3200 - might have saved you a bit, even at 1600... pros will pretty much always complain what ever they are at. was he 'chimping' lots?
    apparently i'm forbidden from viewing your pics other than thumbnails! poo.

p.s. took a look at your site - early days huh keep it up, i'm just frightfully lazy but I will stick mine on a website of my own eventually...that and getting a digital camera too! seen great things from both d70 and 20d so sitting on the fence at the mo.
    and yes a good lens will make a real differnce to your pictures.
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Tom
    Thanks
    early days indeed, not really taken any photos except 4 roles of B&W film (only scanned the best from one of them in)....and then i got the 20D on saturday.

I really can't reccomend the 20D enough The shear number of pros moving from Nikon to Canon must be indicative of how much better they are surely? The 20D is built better, faster (both in burst and AF), higher res, better ISO range (+ better ISO performance to go with it), has a larger range of lower priced but equal/greater quality lenses.

only thing the 20D loses out on really is the 1/3 stop iso settings (useless anyway) and the 1/250 instead of 1/500 flash sync speed. Oh and weight, but its hardly heavy, and it just shows its better made

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    yeah. not a fan of a plastic build - found a nice site that shows a body of the 20D, its just a solid block of metal! cool and indestrctable...good for what I have planned...Allow me to elaborate in a different thread.
    so what 35mm do you use then? is that the olympus i spoted on your site? mines an OM1, solid bit of kit - was my dad's for 30yrs or so, he had it in africa and the US, took tons of slides which are awesome. thinking about getting some slide film too but 'tis expensive!! recently have been taking black and white, fp4 plus mainly, a bit of panf 50 but didn't like it much - may have been the wrong developer...- used to use hp5 years ago but stopped taking pics regularly when I did alevels etc. now having finished 2 degrees figured was high time to get going again so I took over the bathroom at home and got printing...remembered why I loved it so much. great!
    and I'm also reasonably handy at photoshop and would like to explore the digital avenue more - bro got himself a fuji finepix s602pro a while ago, I liked it in principle but hated the delay and lack of 'through the lens' imaging...so, I've been looking at the dSLR's instead, I have a bit of mohunney stashed away for such a purpose so might as well get going