Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So which is worse ... President Trump or Prime Minister Corbyn?

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

So which is worse ... President Trump or Prime Minister Corbyn?

Personally, the notion of either makes me shudder?

I guess Trump is worse, though.

I mean, there's a distinct limit to how much damage a British PM can do, but a nutjob in the White House??

Oh, wait .....

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x1tb Hitachi 7200's, WD Velociraptor 320gb primary
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win10/Slackware Linux dual box
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 24" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

re: So which is worse ... President Trump or Prime Minister Corbyn?

Other than being a complete and total embarrassment on the world stage, which he pretty much already is, there's not a lot of real damage Trump (or any US President) can do on an individual basis. I'll not get into the way our government (is supposed to) works - other than to say that none of the 3 branches of government can make any major unilateral decision without the approval of at least one of the other groups - and the judicial can pretty much put the brakes on anything.

But ultimately, Trump being president is pretty much a non-reality. Yes, he leads the polls amongst 16 other candidates, but he trails behind the Democrats, and even though he has 20% of the current Republican vote, he still has a 75% disapproval rating. It's just a matter of time before he either removes himself from the Republican race, or he gets removed. And unless the Republicans collectively pull their heads out of their nether regions, none of them stand a real chance of winning the office.

Thanks

I'll actually be voting in this election!

But it won't be an easy decision. I'd really like to vote against Hilary, but the Republicans have a lot of candidates I'd really like to vote against too, and some, like Trump, that I'd vote against instead of Hilary.

Which probably tells you all you need to know about US politics.

Thanks

Trump or Hilary? Scary, scary prospect. No way I could ever vote for Hilary though, not ever, even if it meant voting for Trump.

As for the op, I'd say Trump as president is worse. A really bad PM can be ditched as leader if need be.

Thanks

UK already has a nutjob - David `rob from the poor to pay the rich` Cameron.

which is why Corbyn appears to be doing so well - he isn't a tory (or Blairite) in disguise.

6. Received thanks from:

funke_munke (13-08-2015),jimborae (11-08-2015),Jonj1611 (11-08-2015),nichomach (14-08-2015)

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Trump scares me much more, but only because I think he has a (small) chance of winning, and of course he's a republican!

I really hope Corbyn gets the labour leadership - it would almost guarantee another Conservative win in the next election, and leaves Labour with yet another useless leader (although he is a hell of a lot better at public speaking than Milliband could ever hope to be!). It would be a lot of fun

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Supernova G6 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" U2715H & Gigabyte M27Q
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe

Corbyn appears to be more honest than any of the other labour hopefuls who bring nothing new to the table. He sets himself apart and talks about change rather than more of the same from the tories or 'tory light' from old labour.

He is doing so well because of this. The party needs change and he is the only one offering it. Look at how the other hopefuls attack him yet they are all in the same party. Quite sad really. I believe labour as it was, is dead. The party is going to split.
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme, MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO, Enermax Supernova G6 850W, Lian LI Lancool 3, 2x QHD 27in Monitors. Denon AVR1700H & Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Sound
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB & Synology DS920+ 9TB
    Portable=Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Huawei M5 10" & HP Omen 15 laptop

9. Received thanks from:

Gunbuster (01-09-2015),nichomach (14-08-2015)

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

It's funny how both Corbyn and Trump are the same really, just on opposite sides of the coin.

Both of them have some solutions that are 'easy' and frankly selling the exact same thing, a kind of optimism. Even if the most cursory glance at the detail from them beggars belief.

We've had narratives of misery, of worry and problems for so long, that some kind of positivity is going to be well received.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HalloweenJack View Post
    UK already has a nutjob - David `rob from the poor to pay the rich` Cameron.

which is why Corbyn appears to be doing so well - he isn't a tory (or Blairite) in disguise.
    Uh huh.

So, Brown loses to a non-overall Tory win requiring LibDem support to get power. Labour tack a bit to the left with a (Union-backed) Ed Milliband, and the public are so disgusted that he isn't left-wing enough that they give the Tories an overall majority?

Labour respond to the public tacking to the right by going further left?

No doubt that move to the left delights those ideologically to the left anyway, but the pragmatics of politics mean that to win power, Labour have to take back a lot of seats they lost in 2010, which means fundamentally south and south-east England. Maybe, just maybe a more left-wing Labour can get Scottish seats back off the SNP (though from what Scottish friends tell me, I won't be holding my breath for that to happen in large numbers, not in the electoral short-term anyway) but by itself, even getting all of them wouldn't be enough.

The art of election-winning is to be able to grab enough of the centre-based floating voters, in enough constituencies, to get over the line. Without those floaters, the ONLY way a further-left Labour wins is if sufficient of the country move sufficiently left that where the 'centre' is moves markedly left too. So short of that, which seems highly unlikely, Labour are currently trading off gaining hard left, who were never voting Tory in the first place, at the cost of moving away from floaters who, by definition, are in the centre.

And that's why the Tories are currently trying VERY hard not to laugh at the antics that is the Labour leadership contest.

it's a wonderful grand experiment. But I wonder, other than the vicyories by the apparently now despised Blair, when was the last time Labour won two successive full terms? And when was the last time a very left wing Labour won power in the UK?

Hence the grand experiment .... in four year's time, will the British public be ready for a Corbynite left-wing agenda? Unless something radical changes in the meantime, I'd say the answer is pretty self-evident. And the result is likely to be the rise of other parties, or a whopping Tory win. Or both.

For all his faults, and he certainly had them, Blair knew one thing .... how to win elections.

Corbyn is an honourable man, IMHO. Unlike so many politicians, he appears to say what he means and mean what he says. It's certainly refreshing, and the other three need to learn from that, and LEARN FAST. He's benefitting from a certain anti-politician feeling in the same way, ironically, that Farage does.

It may indeed win him the leadership. But an election?

Labour ought to change it's logo from a red rose to an ouroboros.

Thanks

brown was seen as a cast off from blair although in the years since he has done a lot better opinion wise than blair who ran off to his mates in the USA.

isn't there a civil arrest warrant pending for blair over the Iraq war??
    corbyn is unelectable - but will it force the tories to be more right wing - you know in the vote norsefire sense? I don't want a left wing government - centrist is fine tbh - look at the brake the lib dems put on the tories.....
    Last edited by HalloweenJack; 13-08-2015 at 01:45 PM.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HalloweenJack View Post
    brown was seen as a cast off from blair although in the eyars since he has done a lot better opinion wise than blair who ran off to his mates in the USA.

isn't there a civil arrest warrant pending for blair over the Iraq war??
    corbyn is unelectable - but will it force the tories to be more right wing - you know in the vote norsefire sense? I don't want a left wing government - centrist is fine tbh - look at the brake the lib dems put on the tories.....
    What's a civil arrest warrant?

As far as I'm aware, no such beast exists (in the UK) though there are occasionally bench warrants issued over civil debt when the person persistently fails to appear, though it's more of a procedural matter since such non-appearance usually results in losing by default.

There's also citizen's arrest, but that applies only to criminal matters and is VERY tricky to get right. And getting it wrong opens you up to assault charges at a minimum, and potentially illegal imprisonment or maybe even kidnapping. All told, not a good area to experiment in.

There is a website encouraging people to try to do a citizen's arrest, promoted IIRC by George Monbiot .... who seems to have had the good sense not to try it himself. It remains to be seen what Blair's security people would do in the face of a serious attempt. Does he still have Met Police security?

Thanks

Re: So which is worse ... President Trump or Prime Minister Corbyn?

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post

Corbyn is an honourable man, IMHO. Unlike so many politicians, he appears to say what he means and mean what he says.
    Perhaps a better adjective would be honest as I'd hardly describe him as being worthy of high esteem.
    If Wisdom is the coordination of "knowledge and experience" and its deliberate use to improve well being then how come "Ignorance is bliss"

Thanks
    • Andy3536's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-880GMA
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95w @3.8
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1T WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 4870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750
      • Case:
      • Antec P-182

I'd hardly say Corbyn was in the same league as Trump. I'd hardly say Bush is in the same league as Trump.

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group DDR-3000 32Gig
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 870 Evo 500Gb SSD, 1 x WD Red 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT watercooled
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

The thing is alot of what Corbyn says seems honest and makes sense to me, so if I was going to vote Labour I'd vote for him, rather than any Tory scumbag, but in my area a Labour vote is a wasted vote so I'd just rather not vote as LibDem alternative is not really any better.

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group DDR-3000 32Gig
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 870 Evo 500Gb SSD, 1 x WD Red 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT watercooled
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Andy3536 View Post
    I'd hardly say Corbyn was in the same league as Trump. I'd hardly say Bush is in the same league as Trump.
    True and that's saying something!!

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb

In a world where I can only have one or the other I'm going to say Corbyn's worse, but only really because I want to see the Trump vs. Hilary battle for the Whitehouse. Why? Pure entertainment value, for me this is the ultimate combover vs. half of the ultimate Saturday Night Live skit.

Of course, Hilary has to win because truth be told I can't stand Trump and of course that way Bill can go and check all his old hiding places to see if George managed to find his secret stashes of plastic army men and old issues of Playboy too. We might even get a sax solo and a scandal or three out of it. Corbyn on the other hand will just be mediocre for four years, lie to me a little bit too much and leave the country in the same mess he found it. At least there's the prospect of some entertainment on the other side of the pond....

Although, that said I will always miss the Alaskan Timberwife, the Wasilla Whirlwind, the pride of Idaho, the one, the only, Sarah Palin. Drinking games just haven't been the same since she stopped taking part in electoral debates!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information