Thread: The End of National Geographic?

Thanks

The End of National Geographic?

So Murdoch essentially bought out the Nat Geo Society. It took effect yesterday and word is that a number of top magazine staffers have been 'let go'. There's a lot of talk right now about whether Murdoch has any interest in the sought of work Nat Geo produced and whether this is essentially the death of the Nat Geo as we know, after 127 years.

"At 63, veteran National Geographic photographer Michael “Nick” Nichols was neither surprised nor devastated when Knell handed him his termination notice today... Nichols said the important issue is whether National Geographic will continue to fund the kind of hard, long-term reporting about issues facing the planet that he and other veterans are accustomed to.
    “You can’t do that with a for-profit company,” he said. “You have to have philanthropy subsidize long-term assignments... It used to be that people bought magazines. People don’t buy magazines anymore.”"

The Guardian

This piece from the Reverb Press is also doing the rounds online.

Your preferred news source might well have something on it as well.

NPPA had more detailed on the layoffs and how it proceeded:

"Knell's memo to all staff said:

"To all NGS Staff:

"After very careful and serious consideration, we are ready to communicate how our restructuring and transformation will affect each employee at National Geographic. To that end, please make every effort to be available tomorrow, November 3rd, either in your regular work location, and/or by phone.

"If you are traveling for business, on vacation or plan to be out for any other reason, please notify Tia Freeman-Evans or Yvonne Perry in HR immediately, so we can make alternative plans to get in touch with you. If you know that someone on your staff will be out of the office on November 3rd, please let Tia or Yvonne know by 3 p.m. (Eastern) today, as well.

"Please watch your inbox for important information about your employment status tomorrow.

"I cannot thank you enough for your patience and hard work over the last few months. I am proud of how our teams and our organization have approached and responded to this transitional period. Looking ahead, I am confident National Geographic’s mission will be fulfilled in powerful, new and impactful ways, as we continue to change the world through science, exploration, education and storytelling.

Gary"
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Re: The End of National Geographic?

That man and his companies have too much reach as it is. shame to see it go. I've usually found their articles most interesting and insightful. Unlike a lot of the crap his empire peddles. Fox news anyone?

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Dunno if it's the end for NatGeo, but if Murdoch got his hands on it, it's the end of it to me.

As a subscriber for many years, I find it sad. But, having stopped subscribing a few years back, because I just wasn't getting time to read them, I'm not really directly impacted. I am slowly going through about two decades of back issues, though, that I didn't get around to on publication.

Thanks
    • Flibb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6300
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250G
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3GB MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr
      • PSU:
      • FSP
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Deffl TFT thing

I picked up a cheap subscription earlier in the year, I tend to find it a collection of pretty pictures, without enough meat on many of the articles to make it really interesting. Its also very US centric, not surprisingly, and many of the European articles seem a bid odd from a UK perspective.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Galant View Post
    “It used to be that people bought magazines. People don’t buy magazines anymore.”
    Yep, problem. And I don't know how to solve that.

The internet gives too much stuff away for free. And Google is the tip of that spear.

Thread Information