View Poll Results: Should UK bomb Syria?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 20.90%
  • No

45 67.16%
  • Don't Know

8 11.94%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Should the UK bomb Syria?

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Should the UK bomb Syria?

OK I'm going to post this, I hope the wording is understandable and somehow relatable.

I've been using some Rakia as cold medicine. I no longer feel like I've a cold, so I can only assume it's working, as it's home made I've no idea what strength it is, I'd guess it's about 55%, you can light it, and I don't think it's 60%. Cures the throat itch.

As many hexites know I've a slightly unusual mind, I'm marred with dyslexia/dysgraphia, but I've other aspects that are rather exceptional as far as our best testing can show. The downside is sometimes I get almost crushed by where my mind runs. I see paths, weighted paths, things that can happen, things that really probably won't happen. I can solve certain problems as easily as many can say "that is blue" the path, the solution is clear. I've spent a long time in research labs, being a guinea pig as I support such ethos that we get from such research, I know that on paper I'm a special little snowflake, and we are not talking just in the top percentile with these attributes.

This whole situation weighs me down. The problem is I feel overwhelmed by a series of possibilities that are anemic to certain moral values I still wish to cling to. I can't begin to explain how bad this can feel, I can't shut off this kind of analysis, please understand I set records when being analysed by therapists when it comes to certain kinds of spacial reasoning, I was granted money for being dyslexic, and for abilities to play with cubes that are half red and half white making simple geometric forms. Reality isn't what we tell children it will be.

I can see no solutions that are workable. The only solutions, one of which will play out, involve mass death... I hate this. I understand the behaviour of these actors, I realise the history. I try to draw parallels with say the troubles but honestly no one is willing to fund a violence abatement force (rightly or wrongly in NI the army and the police did prevent violence overall if we ignore the implementation details).

I hate this so much. I have no optimism, I feel the adage of least worst solution doesn't begin to do justice, we will see the deaths of millions, regardless of any actions we take or do not take we will foster resentment. Too much of the problem stems from a cultural sense of political immutability.

Frankly in the grand scheme bombing Syria or not will have little impact, it's all grim either way, I find this thread in part to be the debate about how to shuffle the deck chairs on the titanic, wahhabism and salafism are about to have their day. I hope their god has mercy on their soles.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

2. Received thanks from:

peterb (10-12-2015),Saracen (10-12-2015),spacein_vader (10-12-2015),walibe (17-12-2015)

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

The problem, sadly, does not have a unilateral or black and white solution, so any action will have consequences, some good, some bad.

The question becomes one of which likely outcome is the best for the most people, and over the longest period of time, and that then becomes a fine judgement call, and one I'm glad I don't have to make.

Looking back, mistakes have been made in the Middle East, but we can't go back and re-model the past, and perhaps those actions created the conditions for the creation of Daesh, but maybe not.

But we are in the here and now, and Daesh and other extremists do pose a threat both in the UK, and to those who do not agree with their doctrine in the territory under their control. We could turn away and ignore it, but doing nothing may have its own consequences in years to come.

It is not a trivial problem.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

4. Received thanks from:

Saracen (10-12-2015),walibe (17-12-2015)

OilSheikh

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Well said. But, past participations in political threads have essentially tarnished my reputation on the forum and I now avoid them with a bargepole. And, some users will also go as far as highlighting your said view on subsequent posts you make in any other threads in the future.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    OK I'm going to post this, I hope the wording is understandable and somehow relatable.
    Take a break my friend. Not just from this thread but from the anguish of trying to resolve the unresolvable.

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

Extremely late to the party here, but here goes.

I don't think bombing Syria is worthwhile, it neither generates value for money (lives saved/improved vs money spent), nor does it represent a long term solution to the problem is ISIS.

If we are concerned about the region, we need to organise a multi-national armed force, led by the powers than be in the region who are interested in stablising the situation and enforce the collective will of those forces on the dissenting population.

Air strikes, strike me as "well we have to do *something*, let's drop some bombs on a few targets and pat ourselves on the back"

(\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

Thanks

The problem is, which local power has the support of the dissenting population? We can't know that without an election, or at least a thorough informal poll, but that isn't going to happen under the present government which the coalition would also like to see gone. And also notice that all the "moderate rebels" other than the Kurds have been big enough to be reported by names by the media. Doesn't fill me with the confidence that there is a group likely to hold the mandate of the people even if elections are held.

To be fair, while I don't think that anyone is convinced that dropping bomb is going to win the war either on the field or ideologically, it is probably disruptive to their operations. A few more cities, like Kobani, would probably have fallen without air support, and separately, many more Yazidis would have died.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lucio View Post
    If we are concerned about the region, we need to organise a multi-national armed force, led by the powers than be in the region who are interested in stablising the situation and enforce the collective will of those forces on the dissenting population.

Air strikes, strike me as "well we have to do *something*, let's drop some bombs on a few targets and pat ourselves on the back"
    This, a thousand times. I have had this argument more times than I can count... too many people conflate "we need to do something" with "we are justified in air strikes" and refuse to entertain other perspectives. They will serve no greater purpose besides being a despicable waste of money and civilian lives.

Thanks
    • The Hand's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200mhz (8GBx2)
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Kingston SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce RTX 2060 Super 8GB Dual Series
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520 Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Praetorian
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Sony 32 inch HD TV
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbps Fibre

Another reassuring statistic here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-35144420

Some 100,000 rebels (roughly a third of rebel groups) in Syria share Islamic States Wahabbi views..

Thanks
    • flearider's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asrock taichi x370
      • CPU:
      • ryzen 1700@4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16gb gskill flare cl14 3200
      • Storage:
      • 500mb 850 evo + 1tb hd space
      • Graphics card(s):
      • gigabyte r9 290
      • PSU:
      • evga 850
      • Case:
      • LD PC-V8 ATX/HPTX Red 2xtripple 1xquad rads
      • Operating System:
      • win 7 ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • toshiba 32"
      • Internet:
      • 65 d/30 up ee

????
    What does it matter now if men believe or no?
    What is to come will come. And soon you too will stand aside,
    To murmur in pity that my words were true
    (Cassandra, in Agamemnon by Aeschylus)

To see the wizard one must look behind the curtain ....

Thanks
    • opel80uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770-UD3 revision 2
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X4 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4gb PC2-8500
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 1tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI ATI Radeon HD 6950 Twin FrozR II OC 2048MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX450W 450w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 10Mb

Quote Originally Posted by The Hand View Post
    Another reassuring statistic here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-35144420

Some 100,000 rebels (roughly a third of rebel groups) in Syria share Islamic States Wahabbi views..
    But once we bomb ISIS, those rebels will see see the error of their ways.... right?.....RIGHT?!

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by opel80uk View Post
    But once we bomb ISIS, those rebels will see see the error of their ways.... right?.....RIGHT?!
    So if we don't do anything, the rebels will see the error of their ways?

Quote Originally Posted by Edmund Burke
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    Of course, military action alone will not produce a solution, but it is a (headline grabbing) part of a possible solution.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread Information