Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Britain is doomed!! (How is that going to affect you)

Thanks
    • rob4001's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte z97
      • CPU:
      • Xeon 1231 v3
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 256GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1660 super
      • PSU:
      • Sliverstone 500w SFX-L
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG13 mitx
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Comcast 75MB

Re: Britain is doomed!! (How is that going to affect you)

Britain is not Doomed Europe is Doomed. Britain was the second largest contributor to the EU budget. Europe will either have massive reforms or other countries will vote out. Only 2 countries have a performed worse than Italy in 8 years Haiti and Zimbabwe. Italy has trillions of debt in bonds on its books German 10 year bonds give you back a negative interest rate. The EU is sunk this is just the start.

2. Received thanks from:

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by TeePee View Post
    I did not vote, however I could see a failing British Economy in the 10-15 year timescale, while Europe succeeds to be an indication of a mistake.

I don't believe that will happen. Should the British Government actually leave, rather than forcing repeated referendums, I see Britain as world leading economy in that timescale, with Frexit and Nexit in 7-10 years, as the European experiment continues it's collapse.
    Again, that has nothing to do with what I asked.

We have no idea what will happen, at this point it's largely assertions, predictions and conjecture. Its obvious the people voting leave think things will be better the long term, I don't need them to tell me that, or why.

I'm asking a hypothetical question: If things don't go as they hope and the UK enters a recession that makes Greece's finances look great in comparison, to what level do things have to get before they would (inwardly) consider the decision to leave the EU a mistake?
    I'm not asking people to commit themselves to a future apology if this is the case, I just want to know where people's boundaries lie.

If you haven't considered it, perhaps have think. If you're not prepared to consider it... keep scrolling

Again, I'm obviously not asking if you think this will happen, or what you think will happen... it's hypothetical.

Thanks

If Britain entered into such a recession, in a ten-fifteen year time frame, then I would consider it to have been a mistake.

5. Received thanks from:

Biscuit (26-06-2016)

Thanks

Frankly speaking, I think that it takes a better person than average (most) to ackowledge that their political decision was a mistake. The list of excuses one can make for oneself is almost inexhaustable (present government, world economy, bankers, etc. etc.). In fairness, it would probably be true the other way round too. But I do not expect a "Well, hindsight is 50/50, for all my great / self-serving (no, I will refuse to consider xenophobia induced reason as great) intention, that call turned out not to be for the best after all".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy3536 View Post
    Actually, what you've done is taken a post, and completely mis represented the context.
    Wasn't saying that people having worrys about migration didn't get people voting, but that the specifics being discussed in the post i quoted, i.e. 2 people believing migration would stop completely wasn't in any way typical.
    I've not misrepresented anything, we were told if we left the EU it would be an end to the free movement of labor, something they backtracked on less than 24 hours after the result, you can try to distance yourself from those claims but it's obvious the leave campaign was run on those grounds, people, understandably, assumed they meant it would put an end to johnny foreigner coming in their country, an assumption that the leave campaign played along with only to back-peddle on 24Hrs after the result.

I mean 25% of Brits wanted EU nationals kicked out of UK if nation leaves Europe, so not only did they want to stop migration, they wanted to kick out those that were already hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy3536 View Post
    If you vote on anything political, based on how well off you'd be. Not on what principles you'd like to see enacted. That would be a very sad situation.
    Tell that to people who can't afford to put food on the table, can't afford to keep warm this winter, and can't afford their mortgage payments, political ideals are great and everything but when you're homeless and hungry ideals aren't going to keep you warm and fill your belly.

Quote Originally Posted by rob4001 View Post
    Britain is not Doomed Europe is Doomed. Britain was the second largest contributor to the EU budget.
    No, we were the third largest contributor to the EU budget, we paid 12.57%, France paid 15.72%, Germany paid 21.36%, it seems we had a pretty good deal seeing as we were the second largest economy in the EU.
    Last edited by Corky34; 26-06-2016 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Added link

Thanks
    • MrRockliffe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z270i Strix
      • CPU:
      • i7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 500GB 850 Evo, 500GB 860 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 1070 Ti Gaming
      • PSU:
      • 550W Supernova G2
      • Case:
      • NZXT H200
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q
      • Internet:
      • Hyperoptic 150Mb

I lived in Spain not far from Gibraltar and it has NEVER been any different. It's taken me 8 hours to get out of Gibraltar before, due to the Spanish police at border control.
    XBOX Live - Sheep Sardine | Origin - MrRockliffe | Steam - MrRockliffe |

Add me

OilSheikh

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    Please read the question again.
    What would it take for you to conclude that it was a mistake to leave?
    It was absolutely not a mistake to Leave ( in the first place )

I'm asking a hypothetical question: If things don't go as they hope and the UK enters a recession that makes Greece's finances look great in comparison, to what level do things have to get before they would (inwardly) consider the decision to leave the EU a mistake?
    I'm not asking people to commit themselves to a future apology if this is the case, I just want to know where people's boundaries lie.
    Are things rosy now ? Can they get any worse?
    National debt is more than £1 trillion.
    Over a million unemployed.
    House prices are through the roof.
    Takes 3 weeks to see a GP.
    Police stations have been closed.
    Prices of grocery products have gone up while quality has gone down or quantitiy has reduced.
    I could go on and on
    Last edited by OilSheikh; 26-06-2016 at 12:00 PM.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post
    It was absolutely not a mistake to Leave ( in the first place )
    Why are you bothering?

It's an entirely reasonable question that I have explained three times. Either you still don't understand it, you're willfully ignorant or you're simply not prepared to consider that you might be wrong.

In all three eventualities, jog on. The question is not for you. I'm addressing those who have the capacity and/or desire for reasonable self reflection in an attempt to understand the logical process of those voting or supporting a vote to leave.

You made your point, now go away.

No, far from perfect and yes, they can, but it's irrelevant in a hypothetical scenario.
    Last edited by Biscuit; 26-06-2016 at 12:22 PM.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    Frankly speaking, I think that it takes a better person than average (most) to ackowledge that their political decision was a mistake. The list of excuses one can make for oneself is almost inexhaustable (present government, world economy, bankers, etc. etc.). In fairness, it would probably be true the other way round too. But I do not expect a "Well, hindsight is 50/50, for all my great / self-serving (no, I will refuse to consider xenophobia induced reason as great) intention, that call turned out not to be for the best after all".
    Im not asking people to admit they made a mistake, I'm asking what it would take for said hindsight to start taking an effect on them.
    You're right it does take a better than average person to approach the question with honesty, which why I'd really like those who can, to consider it and give me an answer.

So far I've had very little in the way of responses, which is fine, but a little disappointing.

Thanks

I'm left flabbergasted when i hear people say "well it can't get any worse", I'm guessing these people have never spent a few weeks sleeping rough, that have never had the embarrassment of having to beg for money because they've not eaten for days.

Thanks

National debt is more than £1 trillion.
    Over a million unemployed.
    House prices are through the roof.
    Takes 3 weeks to see a GP.
    Police stations have been closed
    These issues are not caused by immigration, I'm afraid. Perhaps the banking crisis and subsequent spending cuts went over your head. House prices has gone through the roof because London isn't building as much as they said they would according to its planning spatial strategy. Plus the fact, lots of, or rather vast amounts of real estate are being bought by Russians, Chinese, Arabs - all non EU-members.

Prices of grocery products have gone up while quality has gone down or quantitiy has reduced.
    I could go on and on
    Nothing to do with the EU with food prices of recent years. Perhaps you're not aware about companies increasing their profit margins, global warming, countries stockpiling food reserves, crop failures, etc.

Snr Mbr I ain't that old
    Thanks
    • aramil's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570k delided CLU XSPC-Raystorm
      • Memory:
      • corsair vengeance 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 evo 250 Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GeForce GTX 980 Super Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • corsair tx750 v2
      • Case:
      • Zalman MS800
      • Operating System:
      • MS Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 27" 2560x1440
      • Internet:
      • 75-down 17-up

Genuine question for all the people who voted leave.

Just to be clear, this isn't a trap or trick question which I'm going to pounce on when you give an answer, I genuinely want to know the furthest parameters of the relatively inevitable dip in our countries prosperity that you would feel is an acceptable level for the hope of a better future.
    To me that's a "how many toes/legs etc do I have to loose to stop a cancer, before death."

The answer is "whatever it takes".

For me the EU had morphed into a perversion of what it once was, trying to micromanage everyday life with very little regard to the average man/woman on the street, pandering to large companies and international groups.

I do not see voting leave as a negative, but an opportunity that personally I intend to seize and make the most of.
    Intel i7 8700K delidded | Asus TUF Z370 Gaming Plus | Palit GTX980 SuperJetStream 4Gb | Samsung 840 EVO 240Gb | Samsung 1Tb F2 | WD 1Tb & 2Tb | Corsair 750TX v2 | 32Gb Corsair Vengence | Saitek Cyborg EVO F.S. | Zalman MS800 | Corsair K90 | AOC 27" 2560x1440 |AOC 24" HD | HTC Vive
    “This post was written using 100% recycled words.”

Thanks
    • opel80uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770-UD3 revision 2
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X4 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4gb PC2-8500
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 1tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI ATI Radeon HD 6950 Twin FrozR II OC 2048MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX450W 450w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 10Mb

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I finf the arrogance of Junkers truly breathtaking though, demanding that the UK starts negotiating immediately. The referendum gives the Government a mandate (in fact a direction) to invoke article 50, but not the timescale, although it is signalling an intention.

But the timescale is firmly down to the UK, and until then, we remain a full member of the U.K. Negotiation can start before formal notification, and probably better that it does as we would be excluded from some of the decision making processes once it is invoked.
    On one hand, you find Junker's arrogance breathtaking, but then in the next paragraph you assume that the rest of the EU will start negotiations before formal notification. Says who? If I were the rest of the EU, I wouldn't be having any informal negotiations, and that's not from a punitive point of view, but rather a pragmatic. The UK wants out, fine, but get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    However, the desire to push for a rapid exit seems to suggest that the Brussels beuaurocrats are not confident that the EU is such a good thing that other Countries might start questioning their own membership.
    I see it the opposite, the rest of the EU want to get on with it. If the wife said to me that she had decided to file for divorce, I doubt she would expect me to wait for the divorce papers before I packed my bags and left.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by aramil View Post
    To me that's a "how many toes/legs etc do I have to loose to stop a cancer, before death."

The answer is "whatever it takes"
    Kind of but not really. You don't seem to grasp the hypothetical nature of the question. I'm not suggesting a particular real life outcome will actually happen, I'm asking what eventuality it would take for you to take a moment of self reflection and consider the alternative might have been better.
    In this hypothetical situation, If you're willing to go so far as to martyr the entire nation and then still say, "we tried" then fair enough, I guess I'm just hoping this isn't the widespread opinion.

Edit: Or have I misunderstood your answer?

I really don't want to misrepresenting people's opinions.
    Last edited by Biscuit; 26-06-2016 at 01:30 PM.

Thanks
    • Andy3536's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-880GMA
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95w @3.8
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1T WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 4870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750
      • Case:
      • Antec P-182

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    I've not misrepresented anything, we were told if we left the EU it would be an end to the free movement of labor, something they backtracked on less than 24 hours after the result, you can try to distance yourself from those claims but it's obvious the leave campaign was run on those grounds, people, understandably, assumed they meant it would put an end to johnny foreigner coming in their country, an assumption that the leave campaign played along with only to back-peddle on 24Hrs after the result.
    You've taken a post i made, responding to a post on a specific point. And your arguing against points I never made in that post.
    Although i voted leave, you can't direct your anger at me for claims that i clearly wasn't talking about in the post you quoted.
    Did you even read the OP from CAT, read the context? Understand the context?
    Now if you want to debate on the specific point just say so, don't jump onto a different conversation with someone else and pretend it was about something it was not.

Thanks
    • excalibur2's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z77-d3h
      • CPU:
      • Intel 2500k @4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2X4gb Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • WD 2tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 750
      • Case:
      • Haf-x tower
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell u2410
      • Internet:
      • broadband with Plusnet

Quote Originally Posted by opel80uk View Post

I see it the opposite, the rest of the EU want to get on with it. If the wife said to me that she had decided to file for divorce, I doubt she would expect me to wait for the divorce papers before I packed my bags and left.
    H'mm If your wife said "48% of me wants to remain with you" maybe you would talk it over......................................................
    2nd computer gigabyte P965ds3p, 7770 E2140@2.9ghz, corsair HX520 6 years stable, replaced now with E8400@3.9ghz and will overclock more when I'm bored.

19. Received thanks from:

opel80uk (26-06-2016)

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information