Thread: Holiday In America : But were?

Thanks

Holiday In America : But were?

Looking to go on holiday with the girlfriend to the US of A between july and late aug, as shes a teacher it's the only time we can really go.

Any suggestions on were to go though? It looks like it will be for two weeks and the area needs to be as cool as possible as I hate the heat, so no Florida or LV suggestions!

Would love somewere that has massive photography potential as Im a keen am photographer.

Thanks
    To be honest you are a bit screwed there mate cos pretty much all of America is ridiculously hot at that time of year.
    From my experiences the best photography potential is in the Midwest.
    Yellowstone Park is awesome and the Grand Canyon spectacular, plenty of other good stuff round there as well if you're willing to do your research.
    Knight 1: We are now no longer the Knights who say Ni.
    Knight 2: NI.
    Other Knights: Shh...
    Knight 1: We are now the Knights who say..."Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm.

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    mid-west that time of year is best. I went there for 3 1/2 weeks a while ago. yellowstone and teton national parks are fantastic. lots of scenery in wyoming. if you can face it going either down into utah or up into montana are also rewarding places. could even make it a round trip. we started in saltlake city, headed north through wyoming, left up into idaho, back round through montana and down through wyoming again to head back to saltlake city. of course did other stuff like white water rafting for a week in idaho and a week on a ranch in wyoming...if you have the budget to do something like that I'd strongly urge it!
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Goat Boy
    Thanks
    Go to San Francisco, drive to Vegas and back. Get a car with air con. Job done.
    "All our beliefs are being challenged now, and rightfully so, they're stupid." - Bill Hicks

Registered+
    Thanks
    I live in the Midwest and while some people are stating YellowStone as part of the midwest it's really classified as a Mountain and or Western State.

Now for your question if you enjoy travel then I would suggest starting in Chicago. Fly into O Hare and you can see what a large midwestern city is like. You are also bordering on the Great Lakes and if you want some beach time, on a Hot August Night it can't be beat.

Pending your interests you can go any direction from there. Wisconsin where I am, is the place people from Chicago come to, slower paced, lots of cows, beer, and forests. I do suggest that all your travel expenses be credit carded, or as much as possible to get the best exchange rate. British pound gets about $1.70 US so from your point of view a very good travel deal.

If shopping is part of your trip, and with most it is then the Mall of America in Minnesota is the place to be, no you don't have to go to Texas for the biggest Mall it's in the midwest. About a 2 hour flight from Chicago or if you drive you are looking in the 7-8 hour range. This will be all highway, american limited speed autobahn. Speed limit is 65mph or roughly 105kmh. Just remember gas is sold in gallons or 3.8liters, so 38liters is about 10 gallons. Gas pricing currently US for regular unleaded is going for $1.90 gallon. The issue with driving is insurance, so check your policy limitations.

Photo ops are whatever you are intested in. If you need more information, real pricing or other options pending you needs please let me know.

Thanks
    Minnesota would be my bet, although Montana or Idaho could work. Are you looking for cities, open space, lakes, mountains...?

That might gives us a clue.

Whatever you do, don't come to southern Arizona, you'll fry.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    Not frikkin Oklahoma - been over there three times for work - and it's the dullest place on earth!
    Now go away before I taunt you a second time.

smtkr
    Smokey Mountains if you like hiking.
    NYC if you want to see a huge city with a ton of things to do and see (smells like garbage though, IMO).
    Las Vegas is another city with a lot to offer (and it's close to the Grand Canyon and the Hoover Dam).
    Florida has a ton of cool stuff--It could occupy a month long vacation easily.
    Washington, D.C. <------Do you really need and explanation? I'm planning a trip for Spring break.

I know you said you don't want to put up with the heat, but the whole country is going to be friggin hot at this time of the year. I visited New York City once in April and it was 35°C the whole 2 weeks I was there. It was a fluke for that time of the year, but temps slightly higher than that are common during July/August. I grew up in NW Ohio and we also had temps in the mid 30s during the summer. You might as well not attempt to avoid the heat here.

Thanks
    New York is a fantastic place. Cant recommend it enough.

Miami is good. I'm going to San Francisco, Hawai (SP) and Vegas this year can't wait. Love America.

Thread Information