• Corsair HX450W 450w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 10Mb

17th Thread about Brexit

Is it just me, or does anyone else see the irony/tragedy in one of the main reasons most leave voters/campaigners gave for voted to leave was so that the UK could 'take back control' and that UK Judges could make decisions without European interference, and when they do just that they are accused of subverting democracy and ignoring the will of the people? I saw some moron on QT last night complaining, as a result of the Judges answer to the question they were asked, that 'Democracy is dead'. I'm not sure what sort of Democracy he was talking about that he thinks has died, but presumably not the Parliamentary Democracy that people in the UK live in, which appears to be alive and kicking. Couple that with the headlines in most of the MSM regarding the Judgement, describing the 3 Judges as 'Enemies of the People', and it reinforces my opinion that the UK appears to be losing the plot.

What will it take for those that campaigned (and indeed voted) to leave to accept that, even if the premise of leaving is a sound one they still agree with, that the way we've gone about it has been an absolute balls up?

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Re: 17th Thread about Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by opel80uk View Post
    ... does anyone else see the irony/tragedy in one of the main reasons most leave voters/campaigners gave for voted to leave was so that the UK could 'take back control' and that UK Judges could make decisions without European interference, and when they do just that they are accused of subverting democracy and ignoring the will of the people? ...
    Not just you. I can't get my head round the fact that three British judges, sitting in a British court, have made a ruling based on British law, confirming that the involvement of the whole of the British Parliament is required to enact or revoke British Law, and this is somehow controversial or unexpected. Or can we suddenly not trust MPs any more? You know, the same people that 17 million of us trusted when they told us that there'd be no repercussions to leaving the EU and we'd easily negotiate a new trade deal that was just as good as the deal we currently have - somehow over the last 6 months we magically learned that they don't always act in our best interests?

Even had family members complaining that "it's down to what MPs want" as if that's not how our system of governance has worked for centuries.... Wasn't the fact that we can kick our MPs out if we don't like what they do one of the big reasons for leaving the EU? But now we're worried they might stop us leaving, so they shouldn't be involved?

Gah, seriously. I'm this " close to abandoning the internet for the rest of 2016. And if Trump wins next week, I'm going off grid completely. That will be the final sign that the world is no longer worth bothering with.... *sigh*

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

"if Trump wins"..................if Brexit hasn't occurred I'd have £100 on Hilary at the bookies...

but if nothing else, Brexit proves .. I have NO IDEA what my fellow countrymen think....at all.

So I am CERTAIN I can't second guess someone else's country!

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

What I found even more sickening is when I walked in Tesco today and glanced at the papers. Both the DM and Express have front page spreads actively targeting the judges and the people who brought about the action as traitors and scum. The DM even had to point out one of the judges was gay before they backtracked. I feel more worried about the safety of the judges and those people now.

If the DM and Express editors feel so strongly they should then also start their own case and take it to the judges too. If they feel people are playing the system,so should they instead of promoting thuggery.

The worst thing is that people don't get the media in this country is owned by people who end up backing both sides and pushing antagonistic headlines towards "brexiters" and "remainers",to sell papers. The media should be trying to unite the country as we need to move forward together - it isn't and more and more it is looking like something out of a banana republic,not one of the most developed countries in the world.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 04-11-2016 at 06:11 PM.

Thanks
    • Lanky123's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-H81M-D2V
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4570
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD + 2+4TB HDD + 3TB Synology DS216SE
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Radeon R9 270X HAWK
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone Strider 400W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02B-F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 / Ubuntu 16.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • ElectriQ 32" 4k IPS + Dell 22" U2212HM
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 60Mbit/s

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    The worst thing is that people don't get the media in this country is owned by people who end up backing both sides and pushing antagonistic headlines towards "brexiters" and "remainers",to sell papers. The media should be trying to unite the country as we need to move forward together - it isn't and more and more it is looking like something out of a banana republic,not one of the most developed countries in the world.
    But would you really want to place restrictions on a free press in order to prevent things like this? Could politicians ever be trusted to even go near that sort of legislation or is it the lesser of many evils to simply hope enough of the population are intelligent enough to recognise...*ahem*..."reactionary claptrap" for what it is?

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Lanky123 View Post
    But would you really want to place restrictions on a free press in order to prevent things like this? Could politicians ever be trusted to even go near that sort of legislation or is it the lesser of many evils to simply hope enough of the population are intelligent enough to recognise...*ahem*..."reactionary claptrap" for what it is?
    How about we look at who owns these papers?? There is no free press anymore - its owned by fewer and fewer business magnates who play each side against each other. They are interfering with the political process by manipulating sentiment BOTH ways.

You need to ask a simple question - who elected those people and who do they answer to??

Or are we going to end up like some countries when one business person owns 90% of the popular media??

Plus encouraging thuggery and indimidation is not the hallmarks of a "free-press" but of bullies like in banana republics who rile up people. What has somebodies sexual orientation got to do with their job?? Was the DM saying gay people were anti-Brexit and are traitors?? Because apparently one of the judges was gay and it needed to be mentioned.

What about all the gay people who voted for Brexit then??

So what about the cowardly editors who push this stuff - maybe they need to publish details of their sexual preferences,etc just so we can get a clear picture of who they are. They hide behind the press,whilst hardly anybdy knows a damn thing about half of them.

I bet if somebody attacked them - they will be going about "their freedoms" whilst trying to promote thuggery on people they don't know.

Don't ever make excuses for them - what if you are the next person a tabloid tries to intimidate just to sell papers?? Would you be OK with that??

Or do you want to see more and more political violence and killings from now onwards?? Because that is what vitriol does,and beware what you wish for mate,because in most countries in the world it is not that uncommon.

Edit!!

I have never thought in the UK I would expect the "press" to stoop so low. This is a new low for the WHOLE lot of them.

The whole press has failed - it's just become the mouthpiece of business magnates,governments and their money making schemes.

The politicians are just fighting each other at every step. Every party is divided. People are divided.

Not a single voice is calling for unity anywhere.

Its like a bunch of headless chickens running about in a panic.

Its become a joke now.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 04-11-2016 at 07:39 PM.

Thanks
    • Lanky123's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-H81M-D2V
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4570
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 60Mbit/s

How about we look at who owns these papers?? There is no free press anymore - its owned by fewer and fewer business magnates who play each side against each other. You need to ask a simple question - who elected those people and who do they answer to??

Plus encouraging thuggery and indimidation is not the hallmarks of a "free-press" but of bullies like in banana republics who rile up people. What has somebodies sexual orientation got to do with their job?? Was the DM saying gay people were anti-Brexit and are traitors?? Because apparently one of the judges was gay and it needed to be mentioned.

So what about the cowardly editors who push some stuff - maybe they need to publish details of their sexual preferences,etc just so we can get a clear picture of who they are. Don't ever make excuses for them - what if you are the next person a tabloid tries to intimidate just to sell papers?? Would you be OK with that??

Or do you want to see more and more political violence and killings from now onwards?? Because that is what vitriol does,and beware what you wish for mate,because in most countries in the world it is not that uncommon.
    I completely agree with everything that you're saying. I think that the owner of a large section of the newspapers under discussion is possibly the worst thing to happen to the planet in the last few decades. But what action would you like to see carried out? Can you see a form of legislation that would keep a lid on such excesses in the tabloids but wouldn't be open to political meddling (leading us further into banana republic territory)? Trust me, I would like to hear of a way forward on this, I just can't see it...

As far as I can tell the best option by far would be to improve the standard of education in this country. It's not a quick or an easy solution, but I'm pretty sure we're heading for a turbulent couple of decades whatever happens with Brexit. The only way I can see the country coming through is if enough of the population have been given the skills to disentangle fact from fiction. There is always going to be a source of reactionary bile for those who are angry and want an easy target, whether it's in tabloids, online news, social media etc. I think the only way to manage it is to make the market for it as small as possible.
    Last edited by Lanky123; 04-11-2016 at 07:45 PM.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I completely agree with everything that you're saying. I think that the owner of a large section of the newspapers under discussion is possibly the worst thing to happen to the planet in the last few decades. But what action would you like to see carried out? Can you see a form of legislation that would keep a lid on such excesses in the tabloids but wouldn't be open to political meddling (leading us further into banana republic territory)?

As far as I can tell the best option by far would be to improve the standard of education in this country. It's not a quick or an easy solution, but I'm pretty sure we're heading for a turbulent couple of decades whatever happens with Brexit. The only way I can see the country coming through is if enough of the population have been given the skills to disentangle fact from fiction. There is always going to be a source of reactionary bile for those who are angry and want an easy target, whether it's in tabloids, online news, social media etc. I think the only way to manage it is to make the market for it as small as possible.
    I think laws need to be changed so their limits to how much foreign ownership of news media there is,limits to how much one set of individuals can own papers and media and strengthened anti-hatred laws. If the media starts campaigns of hate towards people,if anything happens to said people as a result,they need to be held accountable. You cannot just have a runaway media,just like all of us can't drive at 200MPH through a level crossing,they need to be regulated too.

If anything the DM is trying to subvert the democratic order of things in the UK by trying to pressurise the judges involved so they will buckle.

They even are ignorant of our history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_...ish_Parliament

That was a few hundred years ago.

Remember we don't live in a free society otherwise there would be anarchy. The media needs to live under rules just like every citizen.

People have a right to have different political view,but the media has no right to persue hate compaigns against people since they are gay,etc. That is crossing a line and technically already breaking existing rules on sexual discrimination.

The worst thing,is the hate campaign against one of the people who made the case,shows how much the DM twisted things . She basically said "we are all leavers now",but she wanted to make sure parliament had a say in things.

Paliament is elected by us the people. If people don't like their MPs,then vote new ones in.

Nobody is stopping concerned individuals mounting a legal challenge to the decision.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 04-11-2016 at 07:57 PM.

Thanks
    • Lanky123's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-H81M-D2V
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4570
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 60Mbit/s

People have a right to have different political view,but the media has no right to persue hate compaigns against people since they are gay,etc. That is crossing a line and technically already breaking existing rules on sexual discrimination.
    Possibly they can be prosecuted under existing legislation then? I'm with you that some regulation is necessary (although the ship sailed on foreign ownership/monopolies about 20 years ago...). However, it's an area where I'd be very worried with legislation that wasn't well considered first. If you start being too heavy handed with banning/prosecuting media/political groups (and they are sort of blending into one at the moment) you 1. Lend credence to claims of persecution and 2. Need to be very confident of the impartiality of the body doing the prosecuting.

I maintain the most elegant solution (possibly in addition to some well thought out legislation) is to ensure the population have the logical thinking skills to understand the motivation behind the headlines. It would also probably help with anger-looking-for-an-outlet levels in the population if various groups in society hadn't been trampled on for the best part of a decade (or longer), but I think inclusive growth, social mobility etc is probably for another thread!

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Possibly they can be prosecuted under existing legislation then? I'm with you that some regulation is necessary (although the ship sailed on foreign ownership/monopolies about 20 years ago...). However, it's an area where I'd be very worried with legislation that wasn't well considered first. If you start being too heavy handed with banning/prosecuting media/political groups (and they are sort of blending into one at the moment) you 1. Lend credence to claims of persecution and 2. Need to be very confident of the impartiality of the body doing the prosecuting.

I maintain the most elegant solution (possibly in addition to some well thought out legislation) is to ensure the population have the logical thinking skills to understand the motivation behind the headlines. It would also probably help with anger-looking-for-an-outlet levels in the population if various groups in society hadn't been trampled on for the best part of a decade (or longer), but I think inclusive growth, social mobility etc is probably for another thread!
    OTH,trial by media is not acceptable as it leads to vigilante action,and they need to be held to what they peddle.

Regarding the anger,well maybe the media should be asking why the British establishment and industry is so short-term,why the parties have no long-term plans between them,and why British companies are quick to export any jobs in this country. Yet,the French with much stricter labour laws,more militant workers,etc can build nuclear reactors,sell loads of attack submarines to Australia,etc.

Even their nuclear deterrent is mostly made in France - the rockets,the nukes,the reactors,steel,literally everything. Trident,OTH,is just helping the US a bit with spreading costs.

This is why the Aussies just bought 12,yes,12, conventional variants of the French Barracuda nuclear attack submarine,hence probably paying for a nice chunk of the r and d costs too in the process.

Its a joke when we need CHINESE help to make a nuclear reactor and companies like Sheffield Forgemasters had to cut down on expansion plans due to lack of help from the government(they are located in Sheffield too).

I only read recently Reaction Engines despite testing the pre-cooler sucessfully,has had to scale back their plans due to lack of funds. Yet another British innovation which will be bought by a foreign company creating more jobs elsewhere methinks. Just like us ditching our space programme which benefited countries like France.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 04-11-2016 at 08:35 PM.

Thanks
    • badass's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-m pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 850 EVO, 2TB WD Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon RX 580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG02-F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Del U2311, LG226WTQ
      • Internet:
      • 80/20 FTTC

I was in the remain camp. Then there was the shock at the result. A few days later I was in the "lets get on with it" camp.
    I am now 100% for getting things under way as it is the way a slim majority voted. However I take huge issue with the way the current government are dealing with it. Reckless, random and completely unplanned. At least with parliamentary scrutiny, they can't just decide that a vote to leave the EU is a vote to wreck the country. They now have some oversight.

The bad news is that this will probably delay the inevitable. The economy embraces most change. It's uncertainty that causes damage. That and politicians.
    "In a perfect world... spammers would get caught, go to jail, and share a cell with many men who have enlarged their penises, taken Viagra and are looking for a new relationship."

Thanks

I was in two minds about the whole "royal prerogative" situation because on the one hand it sets a dangerous precedence yet conversely putting it to a vote in the commons / lords could have serious consequences in the event of a negative outcome. However, on balance I decided that the former was less preferable and that parliament should at least have its say. So I'm not upset at the result even if slightly surprised that the judges didn't find a smart way to wriggle out of the situation.

As for the reaction in the media etc. it is an over-reaction, but not unexpected given the circumstances. This situation has been brewing since the 70's and was further escalated during the 80's / 90's with the treaties that took us from the EEC to the EU. People have been denied a voice on the matter for a long time. Consequently they see anything that threatens a hard fought victory as their views being trampled on yet again. Now the editors in the red tops are neither daft, i.e. they realise the above, nor bothered with the consequences. All that matters is sales and in the modern world with ubiquitous media, he who grabs attention wins. Their behaviour is disgusting, but to be frank what they have written is tame in comparison to a lot of the stuff that flies about on social media. Therefore to sort the situation out we'd have to regulate both and that opens a whole other debate about free speech and the responsibilities that entails.

In terms of how we have gone about things being a balls up so far it pretty much aligns with my expectations. Admittedly I could never have predicted the detail, but it was clear that it would happen. There was no definition of what "in" or "out" meant prior to the vote, so obviously we'd be arguing about it afterwards. The key question is whether the blinkered ideologists on both sides will wake up to the fact that there are some blindingly obvious compromises.
    If Wisdom is the coordination of "knowledge and experience" and its deliberate use to improve well being then how come "Ignorance is bliss"

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37869797

US sports anchor Gina Miller abused in Brexit mix up
    By Emma Thelwell BBC News

6 hours ago
    From the section UK Politics

Image copyright Gina Miller/PA
    Image caption Gina Miller and Gina Miller - the one on the left knows all about offensive linesmen and loaded bases

A US sports presenter has been flooded with online abuse after being mistaken for Brexit campaigner Gina Miller.

Texas-based namesake Gina Miller was initially bemused to be branded a traitor who had "ruined our democracy".

She said she received several hundreds of messages, including death threats, adding: "It was absolutely vitriolic".

It came after the High Court ruled that Theresa May must seek Parliamentary approval before invoking Article 50 to start formal EU exit negotiations.
    Image copyright Twitter

London's Gina Miller, an investment manager and philanthropist, was the lead claimant in the case and was widely photographed and quoted in media coverage of the decision.

Brexit court case: Who is Gina Miller?

The US-based Ms Miller said she first became aware of the London investment manager's legal moves in October, after a few people mixed up the two women's Twitter addresses.

But she said Thursday's "crazy" Brexit backlash took her completely by surprise.

"On Twitter, on Facebook - there were some f-bombs, lots of people saying I was a traitor. 'You're ruining our democracy', 'F-off and move to France' - and much more'.

She added: "I even had an email. In the subject box it said: 'I hope you die, I sincerely hope you get cancer and die'."

Having visited the UK on previous occasions, Ms Miller said: "It was in overwhelming contrast to the very proper, polite British behaviour I'd seen before."
    Image copyright EPA
    Image caption London-based Gina Miller said on Thursday she "will not let other people bring me down"

The London-based Ms Miller, 51, who was born in Guyana but grew up in Britain, has not answered those critics who have targeted her on social media.

But speaking outside the High Court on Thursday, she said she was aware of being called a "black widow spider" and had suffered abuse from those in favour of leaving the EU.

She said: "That nickname is wrong on so many levels. But I do not and will not let other people bring me down. I believe that level of abuse means I am doing something right for investors."

She did not respond to the BBC's request for comment.

The American Gina Miller, who is also a multi-media consultant with Smith Geiger, a market research and strategy group, said: "If I were counselling her, I'd suggest she be a little bit more overt [on social media].

"You have to expect some sort of reaction - and it's better to take ownership of it."
    Image copyright Gina Miller
    Image caption Gina Miller the broadcaster said many people told her they were sorry after realising they had messaged the wrong Gina Miller

One of the legal groups that brought the case to the High Court, Mishcon de Reya, previously said that a number of other clients who wanted to join the action withdrew their names after receiving letters of abuse.

Yet for US-based Ms Miller, the abuse has introduced her to a whole new fanbase - boosting her number of followers on Twitter to 28,000 - who can now keep up with her daily insights on American football and baseball.

To make it clear, she did tweet: "Again, to my new UK-friends: Wrong Gina Miller. It's @thatginamiller you want. Appreciate all the engaging dialog though."

She later said: "The tide began to shift when they realised I was the wrong Gina Miller - with lots of people saying they were sorry.

"I started talking to some of them about soccer - one even asked me what I thought of Queen's Park Rangers' manager."

She added: "I'll take them, I hope they'll stay - if they want to chat about sports, I'm their girl."
    Share this story About sharing
    Nothing to do with the newspapers whipping up sentiment at all. No wonder with all the stuff coming out of certain media outlets.

But hilariously,they even don't know even their own history let alone what the lady actually said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37861888

But she has stressed throughout that the challenge is not an attempt to overturn the referendum decision, telling BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "We are all leavers now."
    Its worrying because if a certain lot resort to thuggery and vitriol it only means the other lot will too. They reap what they sow. What some of these people don't realise is that even though 17 million voted to leave,16 million voted to stay so what happens when like minded people from the other side start reacting?? Then what??

Are we going to have a return to the past whilst we have loads of opposing people having massive punch-ups at rallies?? Police deployed?? The army??

This is why the politicians and the pathetic media in this country need to unite everybody going forward.

There is a lack of leadership anywhere at the moment and its become somewhat of a shambles. Each one is either passing the buck,just postering to win the next election or leadership of their party.

I thought I would never see the day,all the main political parties are just falling apart before my eyes at probably the most important juncture since WW2,or even the original EEC vote.

The worst thing is the common person will be the one suffering if they don't get their act together soon - this is all projecting utter weakness to Europe and potential trading partners,which they will exploit for their own needs.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 05-11-2016 at 01:29 AM.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Im just soaking up every little drip of irony in the situation.

"WE WANT INDEPENDANCE FROM THE RULING ELITE CLASS OF BRUSSELS!!!!"

Supreme court block Government from enacting Article 50 without advise and consent from the democratically elected MP's, essentially enforcing the rules of our own political system to make sure the people are being represented properly.

"GODDAMN JUDGES BLOCKING OUR INDEPENDANCE FROM THE RULING ELITE CLASS OF BRUSSELS!!!!"

People get EXACTLY what they want, our political system protecting our people and making sure we are properly represented and they still whinge about it. Priceless.

Despite the fact that the actual brexit plan will probably be a lot more public now, which is an undeniably good thing, on the downside the simple act of putting any kind of stumbling block in the path to Article 50 being enacted seems to have given people a scapegoat if things go tits up.

15. Received thanks from:

outwar6010 (05-11-2016)

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

I feel more worried about the safety of the judges and those people now.
    It's not like an MP was recently murdered by someone who saw her as a traitor and scum.

17. Received thanks from:

outwar6010 (05-11-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousSam View Post
    People have been denied a voice on the matter for a long time.
    Strictly speaking that's not true, people have had plenty of opportunity to voice their opinion, it's just for years politicians and the media have been saying the opposite and everyone bought into it.

Throughout the years we've had the choice of electing either Europhile or Eurosceptic governments (who represent us in the EU council) along with electing MEPs (who represent us in the EU parliament), unfortunately what happens in the EU always took a backseat in the electorates mind (IMO).

EDIT: Of course none of this would be happening right now if the politicians had done their job properly in the first place, if the referendum bill had been written better the courts wouldn't have needed to clarify what can or can't be done, if it had been written better we would have known what Brexit actually meant before we all cast our votes.
    Last edited by Corky34; 05-11-2016 at 10:49 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information