View Poll Results: What's the lowest that is "a lot" of money to you right now?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • £2,500

9 20.00%
  • £10,000

15 33.33%
  • £50,000

7 15.56%
  • £100,000

6 13.33%
  • £250,000

4 8.89%
  • £500,000

0 0%
  • £1 million

2 4.44%
  • £2 million

0 0%
  • £5 million

2 4.44%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How much money, is "a lot" of money to you?

Thanks

Re: How much money, is "a lot" of money to you?

Hmm, to be honest, I read reviews etc. even for purchase under a tenner. I only tend to buy things that I plan to use for a long time, so it's important that I know it will serve me well. Having to replace it before long isn't just a waste of money (though it is also an issue).

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Quote Originally Posted by virtuo View Post
    In my head, before I saw the options, I was thinking "If someone game me a grand for nothing, that's a lot of money". Because it is. But I'm at a stage in my life where I'm making a decent living, crushing a mortgage and considering a pretty expensive new (2015!) car in the next couple of months. For anything to really make me think "Well, that's changed things", it'd have to be 5 figures. So I went for the £10k option.

I'm glad that seems to be the average answer
    you, dear chap, hit it on the head.....

hard question isn't it? But it IS a real question and I'm grateful for the replies

thank you all

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

don't stock motherhoods
    Thanks
    • Millennium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD 3600x @ 3.85 with Turbo
      • Memory:
      • 4*G-Skill Samsung B 3200 14T 1T
      • Storage:
      • WD850 and OEM961 1TB, 1.5TB SSD SATA, 4TB Storage, Ext.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3070 FE HHR NVidia (Mining Over)
      • PSU:
      • ToughPouwer 1kw (thinking of an upgrade to 600w)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 101 Home 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HiSense 55" TV 4k 8bit BT709 18:10
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone 12 / month, high contentions weekends 2, phone backup.

I would want something that on interest/revenue would serve to keep me going. So it would have to be £1m.+
    hexus trust : n(baby):n(lover):n(sky)|>P(Name)>>nopes

Be Careful on the Internet! I ran and tackled a drive by mining attack today. It's not designed to do anything than provide fake texts (say!)

Thanks
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy

I see the poll has ended, but I'd vote for the £5 million. My upper limit for imagining how much would be something like £100 million. Any more than that would be a bit silly. I'd be content with a nice house, some nice cars and not have to work but doss around all day. lol

With £100 million, few decent investments, property and the like should be fine for life and not really have to worry, so long as one is sensible about it all.

One thing I have noticed, if I spend say £80 on something (legitimate say) it can seem a lot. But if I get £80 from something, it doesn't seem a lot. That make sense?

Thanks

There was a post on reddit a while back outlining the differences in lifestyle between the upper echelons of wealth - I think the core point was that past a certain point (around £100 million) there isn't really much more to gain. I suppose as a billionaire you can go a bit more mental on spending ("Oo I like that jet, I'll take three") but if you had £100 million you'd have to be a monumental idiot to lose it all.

On a personal note though, as a student, £100 is a lot for me

Registered+
    Thanks
    • BiggYinn's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG crosshair V formula Z
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX9370
      • Memory:
      • 32GB avexir PC19200 4x8gb
      • Storage:
      • 120gb ssd o/s 2x256gb ssd 2x 1tg wd black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte R9-290X windforce (4gb)
      • PSU:
      • Superflower leadex 1000w 80+ platinum
      • Case:
      • NZXT Switch 810 white
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10pro 64bit (upgraded from win7 ultimate64bit)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer 1080p 27" 2ms ips (cant remember model)
      • Internet:
      • Gigabit lan , throught virgin media hub 2, 206mbps ... Or very poor sky xdsl broadband from partners

Any amount is a lot when your skint
    Or have other priorities

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stringent View Post
    I see the poll has ended, but I'd vote for the £5 million. My upper limit for imagining how much would be something like £100 million. Any more than that would be a bit silly. I'd be content with a nice house, some nice cars and not have to work but doss around all day. lol

With £100 million, few decent investments, property and the like should be fine for life and not really have to worry, so long as one is sensible about it all.

One thing I have noticed, if I spend say £80 on something (legitimate say) it can seem a lot. But if I get £80 from something, it doesn't seem a lot. That make sense?
    Yes, the £80 thing makes sense, and I'd say is close to the heart of this question.

If you spend £80 (or any £ x) on something, then you're assessing the value of tge something. Is a cheese sandwich and a glass of water worth £80? How about a brand new luxury car?

But you can reverse that depending your circumstances. Suppose you dying of thirst and starvation, have £80 left in your pocket, at someone offers you either a brand new luxury car or a cheese sandwich and a glass of water? And no, you can't use the car to get to help because you're in a desert miles from help and the car has no petrol .... and no mobile phone signal either.

Anyway, you get my point. The value of any sum of money, IMHO, is what it'll buy and the value of what you can buy depends on your circumstances, which includes how well off you are.

There are quite a few things I'd like, but short of a billionaire relative I didn't know I have dying and leaving me his entire pile, I know I'll never have. And I'm not fretting about that. There are a lot of things that, while I'd like them, are not snd never will be on my shopping list unless my finances change to the point where the £x they cost is relatively inconsequential, by which I mean I can afford them comfortably without giving up much else. Examples would include the private jet and super yacht. They would also be a LONG way down my priority list in the event I inhetit or win a seriously large fortune.

My point is that for almost any level of income short of multi-billions, I can think of things I'd like but will never buy, because they'd be too much of a stretch, and there are other things yo do with money, such as absolutely guaranteeing whatever my level of comfort and security was.

IMHO, to be willing to buy extravagances like jets, yachts, etc, the massive cost of such things has to be almost trivial.

It comes back to the old saying ... if you have to ask how much, you can't afford it.

That's what determines what money is worth to each of us ..... how much we've already got, what an incremental amount will buy and what your needs and desires are.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information