View Poll Results: Which party do you intend to vote for in the General Election?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Labour

25 35.21%
  • Conservative

18 25.35%
  • Liberal Democrat

20 28.17%
  • UKIP

2 2.82%
  • SNP

3 4.23%
  • Other

3 4.23%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: General Election 2017 Poll.

Spreadie

Re: General Election 2017 Poll.

Our "Strong and Stable" MP has had to stand down after publicly stating homosexuality was ‘wrong’ and ‘dangerous to society’. Well done, Andrew Turner MP - you're a credit to intolerant bigots everywhere.

Other than a few feckless hopefuls trying to fill his bigoted shoes, the only other candidates around here are a bunch of swivel-eyed UKIP types. I honestly can't find anyone worth voting for.

I'll have to practice drawing male genitalia for the ballot paper.

2. Received thanks from:

Phage (07-05-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TeePee View Post
    The Human Rights act is a 1998 UK law. A longer term conservative goal has been to replace this with a British Rights Act. Theresa May individually wants to reform ECHR, but has no backing from any party.
    Apparently she won't need any after June 8th.

Personally, I'd like to see better recognition of Human Rights in UK law, and reform is long overdue.
    I'm not going to pretend i know much about Human Rights law, however depending on UK law for such things like human rights makes me extremely nervous as changes to UK laws seem all to easy for MPs to achieve, i think there's an idiom that says something like never giving the government powers you wouldn't want wielded by your enemy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    Apparently she won't need any after June 8th.

I'm not going to pretend i know much about Human Rights law, however depending on UK law for such things like human rights makes me extremely nervous as changes to UK laws seem all to easy for MPs to achieve, i think there's an idiom that says something like never giving the government powers you wouldn't want wielded by your enemy.

It's 'easy' provided it doesn't breach the ECHR treaty. The Human Rights act is basically in implementation of that law. British law should go farther than that to protect rights. Something like the US Bill of Rights would be ideal, provided it weren't ignored.

Thanks

Maybe we're at cross purposes here as IIRC she's said she wants to withdraw from the ECHR, as in it would no longer apply to the UK, as in it would be English courts, not EU courts, making judgments based on the supposed British bill of rights that MPs could change as they wish.

Thanks

Maybe we're at cross purposes here as IIRC she's said she wants to withdraw from the ECHR, as in it would no longer apply to the UK, as in it would be English courts, not EU courts, making judgments based on the supposed British bill of rights that MPs could change as they wish.
    Very much cross purposes. The ECHR is upheld by a court called the European Court of Human Rights. All members of the Council of Europe are bound to this by treaty. The EU is not involved with this, and has it's own EU court for EU law.

Britain has a Human Rights Act which is a set of UK laws that govern the manner in which the UK government implements ECHR. The Conservatives want to change this interpretation. Should that implementation breach ECHR, then they go to the European Court of Human Rights, again, not an EU Court.

May claims that ECHR is limiting, and should be reformed. That IS disturbing. But she has no support in her own party for this.

My opinion is that Human Rights are weakly protected in the UK, and that a British Bill of Rights should be more protective of human rights, preferable structured in a simple way like the US Bill of Rights. However, that seems to be ignored by everyone.

Thanks

I'm not sure how much clearer i can be, Theresa May said in the past that she wants to withdraw from the ECHR, she not calling for reform she's calling for withdrawal, she doesn't want to remain a member of the Council of Europe, she doesn't want EU courts making judgments that effect UK citizens.
    Last edited by Corky34; 05-05-2017 at 07:12 PM.

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

I'm not sure how much clearer i can be, Theresa May said in the past that she wants to withdraw from the ECHR, she not calling for reform she's calling for withdrawal, she doesn't want to remain a member of the Council of Europe, she doesn't want EU courts making judgments that effect UK citizens.
    The rest may well be true, but the ECHR is still not an EU court.

Thanks

Say it with me: 'ECHR is independent from the EU. Not an EU court.'

OilSheikh

Correction. There's no such thing as British law or UK law. It's called English law. And, of course Scots law if you are from up there

Thanks

My opinion is that Human Rights are weakly protected in the UK, and that a British Bill of Rights should be more protective of human rights, preferable structured in a simple way like the US Bill of Rights. However, that seems to be ignored by everyone.
    I disagree here. I imagine the ECHR is a truly impartial body in the way it's not answerable to the UK. Now if we're given the British Bill of Rights then how will we know how a British Judge behave impartially free of political interference. We already know how the BBC was bullied by the Tory party in the last general election.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Top_gun View Post
    I disagree here. I imagine the ECHR is a truly impartial body in the way it's not answerable to the UK. Now if we're given the British Bill of Rights then how will we know how a British Judge behave impartially free of political interference. We already know how the BBC was bullied by the Tory party in the last general election.
    The British Bill of Rights as a Conservative policy was still an interpretation and incorporation of EHCR in to British (or English) law. I do not think leaving the Council of Europe is a good idea.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    The rest may well be true, but the ECHR is still not an EU court.
    Yes i know it's not, it is a treaty that is interpreted by EU courts when their making judgments.

Say it with me: 'ECHR is independent from the EU. Not an EU court.'
    Yes i know it is, however who do you think interprets the ECHR treaty when people bring cases against government under that treaty, it's EU courts just like when Abu Hamza took his case against deportation to the EU courts.

Thanks

Yes i know it's not, it is a treaty that is interpreted by EU courts when their making judgments.

Yes i know it is, however who do you think interprets the ECHR treaty when people bring cases against government under that treaty, it's EU courts just like when Abu Hamza took his case against deportation to the EU courts.
    The title of the article is wrong.

The European Court of Human Rights is not an EU court.

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

No, no, and no again.
    I guess this does prove that despite physically being the last broadsheet, The Telegraph really is a tabloid. No wonder since they used to have BoJo 'working' there making up stuff like the bendy banana myth.

To be fair to the copy writer, the article never mentions the EU but the headline writer does.

Anyway, maybe you should read the Wikipedia entry on the both:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe...n_Human_Rights
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe...f_Human_Rights
    The ECHR is 100% a Council of Europe thing even if all countries wanting to join the EU must be signatures to the ECHR to met their minimum human rights commitments.
    Here's a map showing the signatures:

In Europe, only Belarus and Kosovo are not signatures. Great company May wants to keep there. Still Erdoğan has pretty much announced he's leaving too.

Thanks

The title of the article is wrong.

The European Court of Human Rights is not an EU court.
    Quote Originally Posted by kompukare View Post
    No, no, and no again.
    So this is rather embarrassing, i made the same mistake even the newspapers and probably lots of others made, i was using the abbreviation of EU to mean Europe in general rather than the union.

In other words i should have been saying European and not abbreviating it to EU, apologies.

However that doesn't change that Theresa May wants to withdraw from the European Convention on Human Rights and the jurisdiction of the European Court of Human Rights, as a separate matter from the union stuff, or that the stuff i said before i started to use the EU abbreviation incorrectly is wrong, or maybe it it is as I'm starting to doubt myself now.
    Last edited by Corky34; 06-05-2017 at 10:01 AM.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

So this is rather embarrassing, i made the same mistake even the newspapers and probably lots of others made, i was using the abbreviation of EU to mean Europe in general rather than the union.

In other words i should have been saying European and not abbreviating it to EU, apologies.

However that doesn't change that Theresa May wants to withdraw from the European Convention on Human Rights and the jurisdiction of the European Court of Human Rights, as a separate matter from the union stuff, or that the stuff i said before i started to use the EU abbreviation incorrectly is wrong, or maybe it it is as I'm starting to doubt myself now.
    It's not the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) that the Tory/May object to. It's the two-fer of activist European Court of Human Rights expanding the purview of tge original intent of the ECHR to override thinfs both originally exclyded from it, and to surplant the clearly expressed will of sovereign Parliaments. It's a two-fer because the way Labour framed the implementation of the HRA embeds that judicial usurping of Parliamentary will over matters it was never intended to cover, such as prisoner's access to the franchise.

So the intention is to repeal the HRA and withdraw ftom jurisdiction of these activist judges, BUT ... to embed the exact wording of the ECHR into UK Primary legislation, and to supplement it with a written Bill of Rights that confers essentially the same protections as envisaged by the ECHR against torture, thereby strengthening many current rights, which are more contained in tradition and common law, but returning the right of a sovereign Parliament to create and amend laws, and the UK Supreme Court as the final arbiter, short of Parliamentary amendment of law, of it's interpretation. Decisions from the ECtHR woukd then be advisory, not binding, on the Supreme Court.

18. Received thanks from:

spacein_vader (06-05-2017)

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information