Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The travellers' dilemma

Thanks

Re: The travellers' dilemma

Setting aside the fact that the question has no bearing to reality, i.e. no human being is entirely rational. The answer is £100... primarily because (a) the penalty is not significant enough to out-way the benefits of outbidding the other traveller and (b) the bonus isn't significant either. Assuming that both will take the rational position of trying to recoup their investment. "Beating the other guy" is an emotional rather than rational response.
    If Wisdom is the coordination of "knowledge and experience" and its deliberate use to improve well being then how come "Ignorance is bliss"

HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wazzickle View Post
    Amusing distractions aside, I'm not sure I explained it properly - you're all (presumably) a bright bunch.

In any case. Game theory suggests the answer is $2 - assuming you start with $100, as the other traveller is entirely rational, he will be looking to maximise his own return and select $99. Knowing that will be his strategy, you underbid him with $98, and he changes with $97, all the way until $2.

This is a fairly useful analogy to a bunch of conflicts, including, most obviously, nuclear deterrence.

The 'real' answer is clearly some mix of $99 and $100. This leaves you with a range of payouts between $99 and $101. The key here is that bidding $2 does not maximize returns, but, rather, minimizes them, through the logic simply of trying to beat the other guy. What the ratios would be is a question for smarter men than me, but it could be as simple as half and half. But game theorists actually insist that the only, correct answer, is $2. Which is pretty stupid imo.
    Yeah, at no point did you say "to get more than the other guy"; it was only implied to maximise the amount you get.

But the minimum amount does make sense to "win", as if the other person says the same, you draw. If he opts for anything higher, you get $4 ($2 + $2 honesty) and he gets $1 ($2 - $1 liar).

Thanks
    • Peter Parker's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i5-6600K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Kingston 128GB SSD + 2x3TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX970
      • PSU:
      • SilverStone ST50EF
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Grandia GD01S-MXR
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 33

In any case. Game theory suggests the answer is $2 - assuming you start with $100, as the other traveller is entirely rational, he will be looking to maximise his own return and select $99. Knowing that will be his strategy, you underbid him with $98, and he changes with $97, all the way until $2.
    I've rewritten this comment twice because it's so confusing and counter intuitive!

OK, I read the wiki page for it hoping it might help, because right now it's reminding me that you should "never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line"

I started writing about why an explanation based on John Nash's Nobel-winning theory is stupid, but ... as I write it starts to make sense. (edit 2 - except now it doesn't)

First I started thinking, surely if Alice bids $100, then she can get either $100, or if Bob bids $99 then she gets at worst $98. Why on earth would she bid $2 ever?! Economic theory is great in theory and dumb in practice! Look how clever I am, I'm smarter than Russell Crowe etc etc ...

But wait! It's not that simple. Bob isn't guaranteed to bid just either $100 or $99. He could easily bid $50 to be more "honest" which spoils everything. Alice has no idea if Bob has ever heard of the Prisoners Dilemma. Perhaps the most he ever reads is a tatty copy of The Metro on the way to work, and perhaps Nash is right and $2 is the best bid?

edit 2 :-

But wait! Would any real human ever do that? I did some searching and there's actually a paper where the researchers played this game with some random people on the Internet. There's a chart of the chosen bids at the top of page 6:
    https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/6c8...c441cf62b6.pdf

Some very odd people bid $31, $49 and $70. A few bid $2 or $3 - found the 1st Year Econ students! Most bid over about ~$90.

Here's a Sci Am paper by the original author of the TD problem which discusses more experiments with real people. Fairly readable, and he seems genuinely amazed that everybody doesn't behave like at least a Masters-level economist!
    http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~robins/T...rs_Dilemma.pdf

And so finally ... this is where economic theory really is great in theory and dumb in practice. The theory assumes that the rules of the game as stated are perfect and pure - the two players know nothing about each other, and $2 is the mathematically provable rational choice. We are all robot economists.

But in reality both players at least know the other is a human, and believe that no rational human would really bid $2. Except those 1st Year Econ students who are idiots and know nothing about human behaviour. Those kids will be future governors of the Bank of England and future Chancellors of the Exchequer

Thanks
    • wazzickle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H470M-itx
      • CPU:
      • i5 10500
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 HyperX Fury
      • Storage:
      • Barracuda 510 1TB M.2, WD Blue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SFX 600
      • Case:
      • Ghost S1 V2
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 27" 144Hz QHD
      • Internet:
      • three4g & nighthawk MR1100

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrard View Post
    Yeah, at no point did you say "to get more than the other guy"; it was only implied to maximise the amount you get.

But the minimum amount does make sense to "win", as if the other person says the same, you draw. If he opts for anything higher, you get $4 ($2 + $2 honesty) and he gets $1 ($2 - $1 liar).
    If you follow the game theoretical logic, you maximize your payout by going with $2, even without going for the win.. I'm not saying it's right - it's clearly not - this highlights an obvious limitation, but you should hear how adamant the mathematicians are that this is the only and correct solution.

Thanks
    • wazzickle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H470M-itx
      • CPU:
      • i5 10500
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 HyperX Fury
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SFX 600
      • Case:
      • Ghost S1 V2
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 27" 144Hz QHD
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousSam View Post
    Setting aside the fact that the question has no bearing to reality, i.e. no human being is entirely rational. The answer is £100... primarily because (a) the penalty is not significant enough to out-way the benefits of outbidding the other traveller and (b) the bonus isn't significant either. Assuming that both will take the rational position of trying to recoup their investment. "Beating the other guy" is an emotional rather than rational response.
    Please read through your post again and ask yourself whether there are any inconsistencies.

Change the levels of the penalty or bonus if you want, it doesn't matter. This is a theoretical question whereby improving your results by a small amount is the goal, if you can't improve your results by a bigger amount. "Not worth it" is not part of this equation.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Let's see if I get this.

I say $100, and the other traveller (let's say, you) predict that and says $99. Result = I get $100-1=$99, and you get $99+2=$101.

So, in order to avoid losing $1, I'm supposed to claim the value as $2, and be called "rational" for doing so?

Instead, I'll just claim whatever I think the item is worth, and if you succeed in getting a whole buck or two more, well, good for you. Your good fortune is no material loss to me. Just don't spend it all at once.

Your definition of rational behaviour, however, leaves a lot to be desired.

7. Received thanks from:

sammyc (11-05-2017)

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

The $2 thing seems to be about maximising definite reward, I think most rational people would go for a risk/reward balance and on the rules here you punt for $100. I mean, if I paid $150 for something and I claim back $100 towards its replacement then that is unfortunate, but claiming back $2 to me means I lost the big picture. I think that is the problem here, I suspect most people on this forum are going to be big picture co-operative types and not the small detail competitors that will drive you down to $2. I wouldn't bother with the paperwork for $2.

Or the other way to put it: If I bid $100 then there is a chance that I will lose up to $101 of my best case $101, whereas if I bid $2 then there is a certainty that I lose $99. For most people a loss of $99 would be considered a defeat, so assuming the other guy is rational you both need to bid high. The choice really is $99 vs $100, because co-operation is a corollary of the rules.

Prisoner's dilemma is better

Thanks
    • wazzickle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H470M-itx
      • CPU:
      • i5 10500
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 HyperX Fury
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SFX 600
      • Case:
      • Ghost S1 V2
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 27" 144Hz QHD
      • Internet:

Ok guys, let's change the numbers if this will make it easier to envisage.

You can choose between $2,000 and $100,000, the 'honest' traveller receives the amount they claimed plus $2,000, the dishonest will receive that same amount minus $1,000.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

It's still the same thing, this is just co-operate betray prisoners dilemma.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Ok guys, let's change the numbers if this will make it easier to envisage.

You can choose between $2,000 and $100,000, the 'honest' traveller receives the amount they claimed plus $2,000, the dishonest will receive that same amount minus $1,000.
    You'd have to come up with a significant bonus/penalty, I think.
    At the levels we're talking, the pain/gain is a pittance.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

The real problem with this phrasing of the problem is that it's too unrealistic. There's no way to read it and think "oh, yes, I could imagine being in that situation".

A more sensible rephrasing of this problem (if I have understood he original problem correctly) would be:

Two people are asked to play a game. They each secretly request a prize between £2 and £100. If they both request the same prize they each receive it. If they request different prizes, the person who made the lower request receives the lower request plus £2, and the person who made the higher request receives the lower amount minus £1.

Assuming that both players are rational and know the rules, how much should they ask for to maximise their prize?
    Personally, I'd also add the corollary question

How much would you ask for if paying this game?
    which is an interesting experiment - would people willingly admit they're not rational by giving different answers?

IMO the "correct" answer under these conditions is to request £100. The potential gains for any other selection simply don't add up. And as a game it has some merit (although not much, as the loss/reward ratio simply isn't good enough to make it interesting). But when you start suggesting it as a method of calculating insurance settlements, it's just ludicrous.

Thanks
    • virtuo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 64Gb G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent 2TB PCIE4 NVME + NAS upon NAS upon NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3090 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2 Grey
      • Operating System:
      • RedStar 3, Ubuntu, Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung CRG90 5140x1440 120hz
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet's best, but still poor, attempt

I think Churchill operate in a similar fashion

Thanks
    • wazzickle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H470M-itx
      • CPU:
      • i5 10500
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 HyperX Fury
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SFX 600
      • Case:
      • Ghost S1 V2
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 27" 144Hz QHD
      • Internet:

This is a thought experiment. This isn't a 'how much does money mean to you' question, it shouldn't matter whether the numbers are pennies or billions. The maths is what makes this question interesting, not the psychology.

Thanks
    • wazzickle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H470M-itx
      • CPU:
      • i5 10500
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 HyperX Fury
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SFX 600
      • Case:
      • Ghost S1 V2
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 27" 144Hz QHD
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    It's still the same thing, this is just co-operate betray prisoners dilemma.
    Nope

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

This is a thought experiment. This isn't a 'how much does money mean to you' question, it shouldn't matter whether the numbers are pennies or billions. The maths is what makes this question interesting, not the psychology.
    And you're getting our thoughts on it!!
    The maths are simple, any rational human will vote for the maximum amount and any rational pair will reason that, if they both seek to maximise the odds of a higher payout, they will both vote the maximum, evening the odds and sacrificing the smaller bonus in order to secure the majority.

But you can't really ask for that of humans, because psychology will always govern their maths - This is why stuff is still priced at £14.99, because that is less than £15.00.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

I did wonder what the effect would be if the reward or penalty was different, but it actually does make no difference - its the psychology of potential reward that is supposed to govern the choice.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information