• Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: Todays society - snowflakes

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    What on earth have racoons got to do with packaging? Bad name all round I say.
    Maybe they idolised Cyril Sneer as a kid??

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    What on earth have racoons got to do with packaging? Bad name all round I say.
    Apparently so much that the name "raccoon" was already taken. In Erlang. There's also a different "raccoon", part of a VPN server setup.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

/clambers back up onto his soap box from the comfort of his Zimmer frame and re adjusts his cardie....

/coughs

/fall's over from pluracy... which I cant spell... regains footing

/speaks

Kids these day have some things REALLY good and REALLY bad.

A mobile life and social media can bring such strength, such happiness. But the total lack of it 40+ years ago needs contemplating.

You could only get bullied if the nasty geezer was in front of you. He/ she/they couldn't do it remotely at midnight into your bedroom.
    Houses were colder. Most didnn't have any central heating. No radiators. So no matter if you could afford the gas.. there wasn't a bolier anyway in many homes. And Double glazing was rare.
    TV's and radios were made of wood. Actual wood. From trees. And there was 3 TV channels and they were only broadcasting during part of the day.

That means people went out and played on their bikes. A lot. A very lot.

Wardrobes were... smaller. And had less in them. A lot less.

And Saracen and I walked to work before we got up, and were beaten with metal poles before we went down the mines.....

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    One developer pointed out that "coon" has been a racist slur for over a hundred years, in the USA.
    So?
    It's also a surname... although I note that you can no longer get a Bluetick Coon Hound.
    In certain parts of the world Bobo is a racial slur, yet no childrens' party is complete without Bobo the Clown....

Question 1: was he wrong to point that out?
    Yes.
    I remember Morgan Freeman's response to problems about race was basically, "Stop talking about it". I reckon no-one would have kicked up a fuss until the 'racism' issue was pointed out.
    I also remember having to ask, in 1974, what everyone's problem with a black sherrif was in Blazing Saddles. That was the first time I'd ever heard The N-Word before and never really encountered racism. I had to learn about it from films.

Same happened when I watched The Dirty Dozen: Next Mission - This squad decides to nick some uniforms and dress up as Germans, to sneak into their camp. They're just getting ready, when one of them asks 'what about Dregors'. Lee Marvin's character just stares, not knowing what they're on about.
    I'm quite proud to say I was staring blankly too, more so because Dregors was actually played by a friend of mine, but also because Ricco Ross is black.
    Now they dress him up in bandages to hide his skin, which is par for the course with such films. But even back then I didn't get the race thing. My mind just never went there. in the first place.

My point being, as with what Morgan Freeman was saying, if we stop making such a big deal out of these things they cease to exist.
    We don't live in Apartheid, or anything (and it's often said by Saffers who did, that anyone who hasn't doesn't understand what real racism is), so much of our "Racism!!!!!" and similar stuff is just white people preemptively crying wolf on behalf of others, I find.

Question 2: who's right?
    None of them... because not one of them suggested stealing the word.

Cool, sick, wicked, rinsing, hoe, deft... I could give a hundred words that people use, where the original meaning has been discarded in favour of some newfangled interpretation.
    Even today, I heard someone refer to a thing as "gaaaaaaaaaay", and this from a 55 year old who isn't usually 'down wit da yoof, innit blud'... yet he clearly did not mean the rather shoddily made flash drive wanted to plug into other flash drives, rather than the more typical USB3.0 port.

Take over the word, change its meaning and rob it of all offense.

The argument is "there may not be repercussions for me being offensive".
    That door swings both ways, though and the argument is that the snowflakes think those repercussions is them being oppressed. See it alla time on Judge Judy...

Quote Originally Posted by Lanky123 View Post
    Well, an idiot and their money etc etc. I can't find student numbers for such degrees from a quick google but having never come across someone with a David Beckham BA
    I think such things developed out of the massive increase in people who got to attend uni, as well as that idea that having a degree meant you were more employable.... because that became ANY degree, no matter how silly.
    The local IT manager (MCSA, MCSE, CNA, CNE, etc etc etc) in our IT support partner got his job because he had a degree and the other candidate didn't....
    What's the degree in, you ask?
    Artificial insemination of pigs.
    True story.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    As the previoys generation to yours, I can tell you from first-hand experience that buying a house has never been easy or cheap, and at 26, my cbances of doing so were precisely zero. Why? After school, a year "off", prior to university ..... which was spent working, to get some experience. Then, 3 years at uni, and following that, three years (minimum) of "articles", which was basically slave-rate pay learning Chartered Accountancy.

Bear in mind, by this time (mid 80s) I couldn't afford foreign holidays at all, very rarely ate out, because again, couldn't afford to, more than once or twice a YEAR. Even visits to the pub were heavily rationed, partly because of long work hours (typically 60/week and up to 80-ish) on top of which I had to find time for study to have any chance of passing those professional exams, which made degree exams feel like a stroll in the park on a warm summer day) but mainly because, well no money.

Oh, and I was one of the lucky ones that did get to go to uni. In my day, about 5% of school leavers did, not 45%.

It was only when I hit your age, degree educated and professionally trained, that I started to make enough money that I could even afford to move out of Mum and Dads, never mind buy a house. But if I had, rent would have made it almost impossible to save for the deposit. So, there I was, nearly 30 and still living with parents.

Remember, no foreign holidays, no broadband to pay for, no mobile phone contract, rarely eating out, no fancy trainers or designer clothers, saving every penny of spare money for the deposit.

No doubt, some people my age had it easier, I knew a few, with private money. But a LOT had it much harder than I did.

Of course, by 30 I was well-paid, saving furiously and did buy a house. Shortly after that, I went self-employed and came etremely close to losing it again. There was a couple of years, getting a business started, where paying the mortgage meant dinner was yesterdsy's leftovers, and paying the gas meant getting a red letter from the electricity. Even then, the mortgage was in serious arrears.

Oh yeah, buying a house was SO easy a generation ago.

Note - But despite the very bad, lean times, buying was worth it. Now, and for some years, no mortgage and no rent. So despite several years of nose barely above water, it's paying off now, big-time.

What does get right up my nose, though, is when "kids", and I mean your approx age but children of friends and acquaintances, driving new cars, eating out most nights, clutching expensive 'premium brand' phones while showing pictures of their recent trip to, oh, South-East Asia or some far-flung glamour spot, telling me how my generation had it so much easier.

And if you really want to know how hard buying a house can be, you ought to ask my parents wgat they sent through. I had it easy compared to them.

I was 30 before I could afford a house, and then spent nearly 10 years of financial hell trying to hold on to it.

Had it easy? Horrocks.
    Hi I really appreciate the insight as it can be hard to get a balanced and fair opinion of their own situation. I would start by giving you a bit of background as to be fair, I am not the same as other 26 year olds. I don't drink, neither does my wife. We don't eat out as my wife can't (dietary wise) and also money wise. I may go out for a cheap lunch with colleagues every so often. We haven't been on holiday at all since we were together except two cases, one was paid for by my parents (and was in the UK), and second was for our honeymoon which was a honeymoon gift, we still had to pay for the transportation and spending money etc. The only luxuries we have are nice mobile phones and the cheapest virgin broadband, which is vital for my work. I do think maybe you've tarred all young people with the same brush and assume we are all wasting away the little money we earn.

I put myself through university and didn't get any support from my parents, this meant I have racked up debt on making ends meet as the government loan didn't cover the costs. Now I am only just in a job that pays well, I have considerable debts that I am clearing and will be cleared in a few years time, If I wasn't paying these (which are a good portion of my income) I would be able to save for a house at an alright rate.

The simple fact is that the costs of buying a house in the 1980s were a lot cheaper than they are now, a lot of young people don't save for a house because even with a deposit they couldn't pass the affordability calculator for a mortgage. Yes I can see you did struggle to make ends meet on your mortgage but being self employed is always a risk and I am sure it has paid off now that you've got through it.

The article below is a good example of how insurmountable the current housing market is, and its getting worse. Lots of people from a similar generation to you managed to get houses on tiny tiny deposits which are these days not possible.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/personal-...pared-to-2016/

But I will agree with you and I also admire your attitude and hardwork in respect saving and getting onto the property ladder, this is mine and my wife's primary goal. We do our finances weekly and account for all of our spending, we also have put a lot of time into getting our debts on the cheapest rates and they are always paid off in full every month.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Blaine..youre in London -that Telegraph article is heavilly London focussed. In London... you're screwed

the rest of the country is different.

and the chap from Brighton compares himself to his parent in Essex... HELLO!!

A reasonable one-bedroom flat costs upwards of £250,000 in Brighton,” Mr Bradfield said.

“Its so much harder today than for my parents. They were both teachers, and modestly paid, yet they bought a three-bed semi in Essex and had paid off the mortgage by the time I went to university.”
    in short.. it's the Telegraph

Three bed Semi in Naze
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-71317112.html
    £175k

nothing in Brighton below £245k?

Same rules back then bud.
    Last edited by Zak33; 13-02-2018 at 06:26 PM.

"The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

**I was talking rubbish.**

Edit

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-65999498.html

£175k flat in Brighton
    Last edited by Zak33; 13-02-2018 at 06:35 PM. Reason: wrong link

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

brighton is stacked with retirement homes.....but you get the drift.

Essex is cheaper.... his comparison is useless

Thanks

I guess to clarify, unsure why my profile says London as I am in Reading.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

ohh that Telegraph article has me riled

According to the couple at the top, they paid £23k in 1982 for their 3 bed semi

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-71427125.html

the amount of 3 bed semi's in Wigan for under £70k is amazing...
    but lets go above £70k
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-49790748.html

Offers above £70k. ie ....£70k

Tell me that people in Wigan are having it harder now than in 1982

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Blaineoliver View Post
    I guess to clarify, unsure why my profile says London as I am in Reading.
    Living in Reading and complaining about house prices???!!!

Sorry, that's like living in Death Valley and complaining about the heat.... !!

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I lived in Manchester and was ridiculously cheaper than down south,even going out. I still remember getting change out of £5 for three pints and we thought there was a mistake. Having said that forget London - Oxford and Cambridge are ridiculously expensive and the pay does not even reflect that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    Living in Reading and complaining about house prices???!!!

Sorry, that's like living in Death Valley and complaining about the heat.... !!
    At least you don't live in Slough - the only thing that stood out there was the ginormous Tesco.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    At least you don't live in Slough - the only thing that stood out there was the ginormous Tesco.
    It's not exactly Swindon.
    Salaries have been heavily beefed up by companies putting customer contact centres and operational bases there. If you're any good at commission-based jobs like marketing and sales, you're laughing.

Still a scummy place to live, though. You work in Slough, you buy a house in Reading... the price of which dictates that you work in Slough in the first place!

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

It's not exactly Swindon.
    Salaries have been heavily beefed up by companies putting customer contact centres and operational bases there. If you're any good at commission-based jobs like marketing and sales, you're laughing.

Still a scummy place to live, though. You work in Slough, you buy a house in Reading... the price of which dictates that you work in Slough in the first place!
    LOL,OTH the weekly shop is easy. It was so huge it reminded me of the Costco from Idiocracy.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    ... Tell me that people in Wigan are having it harder now than in 1982
    well, they're living in Wigan - that's pretty harsh whenever

What you don't get a feel for looking at house purchase prices is what the rental market is like.

In 1982 we were still under regulated tenancies, with rents set by a rent officer, and those were CHEAP. I've seen some of the rental values from back then (they're not easy to track down online, for some strange reason :/ ). So you could afford to rent somewhere and save for a deposit.

Deregulation occurred in 1983, and suddenly if you got a new tenant you could decide for yourself what to charge them. The exact details shifted a bit over the next decade or so, but essentially private rentals went from struggling to break even, to a hugely profitable business. And the rents went up accordingly. We're not just talking the 3x increase reflected in the average selling prices, but 10x and higher. And that's from the figures I saw a decade ago. The house prices themselves aren't necessarily the restrictive factor.

e.g.: https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...ty-soars-in-uk
    The average cost of a new tenancy on a one-bedroom home hit £746 a month in May, taking up 48% of the take-home pay of a worker aged under 30, data from property firm Countrywide showed.
    I mean, I live frugally, and my bills are over £300 a month. When I used to live alone I could comfortably feed myself for maybe £200 a month. But if I've only got £750 a month left after my rent, and I need £500 to pay my bills and food... I can save at best £3000 a year. And that's without any new clothes. Or transport. Or entertainment (beyond internet/phone). Or holidays. or, in fact, doing anything other than barely keeping myself alive.

Sure, in many parts of the country the house price: average wage ratio hasn't changed that much since 1982. But that's not the most important factor in determining whether someone can buy a house.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

The N-Word
    If words are harmless and a hundred years of negative meaning can be overridden if you just declare it so, then what's this PC bull doing here?

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information