Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ancient organic compounds found on Mars

Thanks

Re: Ancient organic compounds found on Mars

I used to know more about this. I have read that many of the atoms in our bodies were created in stars, so I suppose these constituent parts are blasted across the cosmos. I only discovered recently that only 43% of the cells in our bodies are human cells, the rest microscopic colonists

'The human genome - the full set of genetic instructions for a human being - is made up of 20,000 instructions called genes. But add all the genes in our microbiome together and the figure comes out between two and 20 million microbial genes'.

I think we will find life in all the billions of stars with their planets. But the reality of long term exploration is going to be robots, because of the radiation and the long term effects of space psychosis. Unless we can develop a warp speed, I know they have been working on it.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnroe View Post
    I just like asking questions, playing with ideas.
    Pertinent questions, like "Who the hell cares if there was life on Mars", right?

So therefore alien life might have the same bases as life here but simply adapted to a different environment.
    And the most reasonable way of beginning any confirmation of that theory is by checking out some planets, starting with the closest and easiest to land a survey rig on, no?
    Kinda like Mars, really...... but who the hell cares, eh?

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

I have read that many of the atoms in our bodies were created in stars,
    Nah, I bet you saw it on Doctor Who

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Nah, I bet you saw it on Doctor Who
    Wasn't that featured in a Star Trek plot.... some kind of plot device to explain why all the different life forms in the galaxy have the same basic humanoid form-factor, with only comparatively minor Tom Burman variations?

Thanks

You guys are just so funny. And you wonder why no one talks about anything in depth. Look you may get your knowledge from sci fi, but I stick to text books. So when trying to understand more about life on earth, I started with Darwin's The Origin of the Species, and worked my way forward to contemporary knowledge. Enjoy your prattling nonsense though!

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Don't feed the troll
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

You guys are just so funny. And you wonder why no one talks about anything in depth. Look you may get your knowledge from sci fi, but I stick to text books. So when trying to understand more about life on earth, I started with Darwin's The Origin of the Species, and worked my way forward to contemporary knowledge. Enjoy your prattling nonsense though!
    Oh do get a sense of humour, kid...!!!
    I don't care how many books you've read, or what you think you know over and above the people who are actually doing this stuff for a living (because that'd make them more along the lines of 'experts', innit bruv?) - We ARE talking about it in depth. Some of us are just a little more irreverent than others... you know, being human and all that.

Or just make copious use of that IGNORE button you've been given, and move along...

Thanks

Hey I was just adding my bit of knowledge to the previous posters. Don't call me 'kid', you're the ones prattling on about Star Trek/ Dr Who was it, can't even remember.

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Hey I was just adding my bit of knowledge to the previous posters. Don't call me 'kid', you're the ones prattling on about Star Trek/ Dr Who was it, can't even remember.
    You get some nice bits of science in the Dr Who stories, don't knock it! From memory the science is that the big bang only produced hydrogen, main sequence stars then fuse that into helium and carbon, but that's it. As they run out of hydrogen as fuel stars can explode creating heavier elements in the process. The bit of maths that sounds dubious but my physics isn't up to disputing it is that some of the heavier elements in our body takes a journey through seven supernova to create. If true that's pretty mind bending that bits of my knee have been through that many supernova. My flippant comment is because I thought that was fairly well known.

... but Dr Who put it as:

Hey, do you mind if I tell you a story? One you might not have heard. All the elements in your body were forged many, many millions of years ago in the heart of a far away star that exploded and died. That explosion scattered those elements across the desolations of deep space. After so, so many millions of years these elements came together to form new stars and new planets. And on and on it went. The elements came together and burst apart forming shoes and ships and sealing wax and cabbages and kings. Until, eventually, they came together to make you. You are unique in the universe. There is only one Merry Galel and there will never be another. Getting rid of that existence isn't a sacrifice, it is a waste!
    which I think it quite a decent bit of prattling, almost could be described as writing

But enough of that, I'm off to make a cup of tea and read some more of my book. Not Origin of Species though, blimey life's too short, did you really read that?

Thanks

Oh it's not the sci fi I have a problem with. Yes it's been a long time since I studied some of this stuff(Darwin's a breeze, you have to admire his dedication and absolute scientific rigour). I was the sort of adolescent who read New Scientist for fun. While I am all for logic and a sceptical scientific approach, humans go way beyond that.

So were you saying that life chains are being formed in space and then finding a home planet. They are all theories, but some are mind blowing. What are the chances of all those different parts of the equation coming together, on in the Earth's case a toxic planet. The right inorganic materials, UV light, correct solution, and it's led to all this.

Sci fi is an interesting culture in it's own right, and with many links as you know to some science theory. I like ideas like this; no one knows if aliens exist, the only place they exist is in the human mind. They are a projection of something inside us. But we all have images of what we imagine alien life might look like, or act like.

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

So were you saying that life chains are being formed in space and then finding a home planet.
    I was more thinking a question out loud. Supernova tend to happen on larger stars that burn brightly for (in astronomical terms) a short time. That gives life a shorter time to establish, but if it did happen then someone who knows that side of physics can probably work out where the Goldilocks zone which is "just right" for supporting life would be a on a star in that size range, and then what happens to planets in that orbit when the star blows.

TBH the journey through space would be pretty intense so I have to wonder if any useful biochemistry could make a journey of thousands of years. Just reading up on how fast the SpaceX Tesla is going to fall apart was quite interesting.

But in pure numbers there are so many stars and planets out there that one in a billion chances start looking like a certainty to happen somewhere. That does make for fun sci-fi stories both in terms of what humans might be capable of and what else might be out there.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

Don't call me 'kid', you're the ones prattling on about Star Trek/ Dr Who was it, can't even remember.
    Yes, because this is a forum for humans, who are reknowned across the galaxy for taking the mick and chatting about numerous things along numerous tangents within forum threads... but perhaps it's time for your nap, old man.

I was the sort of adolescent who read New Scientist for fun.
    So was my wife - She still had a sense of humour!

What are the chances of all those different parts of the equation coming together, on in the Earth's case a toxic planet. The right inorganic materials, UV light, correct solution, and it's led to all this.
    Chances are pretty low, but evidently not impossible.
    Factor in the current theoretical and hypothetical biochemistries of non-carbon based life and you have more potential options, although perhaps along similar chances of existing and with very low likelihoods of us even locating them, at this point.

Thanks

I was more thinking a question out loud. Supernova tend to happen on larger stars that burn brightly for (in astronomical terms) a short time. That gives life a shorter time to establish, but if it did happen then someone who knows that side of physics can probably work out where the Goldilocks zone which is "just right" for supporting life would be a on a star in that size range, and then what happens to planets in that orbit when the star blows.

TBH the journey through space would be pretty intense so I have to wonder if any useful biochemistry could make a journey of thousands of years. Just reading up on how fast the SpaceX Tesla is going to fall apart was quite interesting.

But in pure numbers there are so many stars and planets out there that one in a billion chances start looking like a certainty to happen somewhere. That does make for fun sci-fi stories both in terms of what humans might be capable of and what else might be out there.
    Yes I think I pretty much ended up with some theories along the lines of the cosmos itself is a life generator. It creates all the basic elements, it creates a massive amount of potential habitats. I think I saw the sort of inorganic chemical makeup of the planets as being the matrix on which life would be based. The other theory is the comet seed idea, which is also plausible. Which could mean that all life throughout the cosmos would have the same bases. (Just the fact that we float on some land masses over a molten metal core, is a bit mind blowing. I was watching those vids from Hawaii)

I don't believe in supernatural beings, but I believe there is some inherent intelligence within life itself(not cognitive), that gives it purpose. I don't think we'll encounter any form of alien life for many centuries, if then(unless they visit here), and ultimately life here may be just a random accident. I saw a film the other day Arrival, it was interesting for about five minutes, where a linguist has to create a common language with some aliens, but most of it was slushy American dream nonsense.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

I saw a film too. It was a foreign film I didn't really understand, and I couldn't be bothered to learn Korean because that would take years right? But I read a part review of it over the shoulder of a man on the bus reading the metro, so I'm happy to say it is definitely proof that aliens exist and Darwin was a visitor from outerspace.

Thanks

ik9000>what is that? Look I just cut people out when they get boring, and seem to be attacking me.

Isn't there some idea that if humans went on deep space missions, they would evolve to that life and environment maybe over generations, and therefore return as alien. I've seen reports that some species are adapting to things like pollution. So it's possible humans will as well(radiation is a difficult one). Our minds are obviously evolving to match our technological capabilities.

Thanks
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

But enough of that, I'm off to make a cup of tea and read some more of my book. Not Origin of Species though, blimey life's too short, did you really read that?
    I've read it. It's an interesting historical text, but hardly cutting edge science. If that's John's source era we'll be hearing about the luminiferous ether anytime now.

17. Received thanks from:

DanceswithUnix (13-06-2018),ik9000 (13-06-2018)

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information