Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: How much could I sell my old pc for?

  1. #1
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    How much could I sell my old pc for?

    Hi guys,

    What is a fair price I can get for my old pc?

    Specs

    Dell Optiplex 790
    Processor: Intel Core i5-2500 @ 3.3GHz
    RAM: 4GB
    Hard Drive: 2TB HDD
    Optical Drive: DVD-RW
    Graphics: On-Board
    COA: Win 7 Pro

    Thanks

  2. #2
    bored of Vienetta now
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,779
    Thanks
    1,140
    Thanked
    684 times in 517 posts
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

    Re: How much could I sell my old pc for?

    given that my work were just giving a job-lot of these away for free, I'm going to say not much. £50 tops if you're lucky. Reason being the mobo and case are so limited that it kind of prevents you adding too much to it. One, maybe two spare SATA II ports, only one spare drive bay, and locked down BIOS, only 2 RAM slots , presumably both occupied by basic 2GB DDR3 RAM DIMMS? etc etc

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: How much could I sell my old pc for?

    The specifications are not much impressive, however, depending upon the location fro selling price. Where are you located?

  4. #4
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: How much could I sell my old pc for?

    Thanks for feedback.

    I'm in London, just had a look on gumtree and some people have this spec pc up for £90.
    Guess I can list the item for a bit higher and if I get anything above £50 its a bonus.

  5. #5
    bored of Vienetta now
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,779
    Thanks
    1,140
    Thanked
    684 times in 517 posts
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

    Re: How much could I sell my old pc for?

    Quote Originally Posted by advan View Post
    Thanks for feedback.

    I'm in London, just had a look on gumtree and some people have this spec pc up for £90.
    Guess I can list the item for a bit higher and if I get anything above £50 its a bonus.
    It's always amazing what folks are willing to pay sometimes. Not worth it IMO, but to each their own.

    just remember to wipe the HDD with DBAN and give them a clean install (or a disc to do the clean install from). I have a set of the dell win7 disc and drivers for that machine if needed, though with the service tag you should be able to download them directly off the dell website.

  6. #6
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: How much could I sell my old pc for?

    Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    It's always amazing what folks are willing to pay sometimes. Not worth it IMO, but to each their own.

    just remember to wipe the HDD with DBAN and give them a clean install (or a disc to do the clean install from). I have a set of the dell win7 disc and drivers for that machine if needed, though with the service tag you should be able to download them directly off the dell website.
    Thanks for reminding me to wipe the hard drive will try DBAN appreciate the offer for Windows 7 disc, the machine has a COA sticker so I'll be able to download a copy online.

  7. #7
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    55
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    18 times in 13 posts
    • atemporal's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell ownbrand
      • CPU:
      • i5-2500
      • Memory:
      • 4GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 160GB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • you're kidding right?
      • PSU:
      • 300W OEM Dell
      • Case:
      • Dell Optiplex 990
      • Operating System:
      • windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Some small 17" dell thing
      • Internet:
      • yes I has the internet

    Re: How much could I sell my old pc for?

    I have two of these exact machines, albeit much smaller HDD. Let me know how much you get for it. I thought no-one would want them these days as they're not win10.

  8. #8
    Theoretical Element Spud1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    6,765
    Thanks
    222
    Thanked
    217 times in 169 posts
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2x 2.8ghz Quad Core Xeons (octo-core)
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR2 FB-Dimm
      • Storage:
      • 1x1TB, 1x320gb, 2x500gb, 1x250gb, 120GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia Geforce 560Ti
      • PSU:
      • Mac pro PSU
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1x22" LG 3D TFT 1x 19" ViewSonic
      • Internet:
      • 80mb BT Infinity

    Re: How much could I sell my old pc for?

    Personally I wouldn't bother and would just break it up and sell a few of the parts.

    You will get £40-£50 for the CPU on ebay, maybe £20 for the hard drive, £10 for the ram...then I would take the case/mobo/cd drive to the tip or offer it on freecycle (yes throw away that Win 7 COA too its worth less once the mobo is binned)

    It's a shame but these old, low specified machines are pretty worthless and cost more to ship than its worth in most cases. Easy to sell the bits on ebay though

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: How much could I sell my old pc for?

    It will make you good cash in some parts of Africa, although the specs look not much impressive, but it would still cash their eyes, apart from UK, US where they have high taste in electronic gadgets. So your location would determine the cost...

  10. Received thanks from:

    Millennium (24-07-2018)

  11. #10
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: How much could I sell my old pc for?

    Quote Originally Posted by atemporal View Post
    I have two of these exact machines, albeit much smaller HDD. Let me know how much you get for it. I thought no-one would want them these days as they're not win10.
    Finally managed to sell the PC! had it advertised for collection on gumtree for months!

    It was cash on collection and sold for £70, had it advertised for £90.

  12. #11
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: How much could I sell my old pc for?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    Personally I wouldn't bother and would just break it up and sell a few of the parts.

    You will get £40-£50 for the CPU on ebay, maybe £20 for the hard drive, £10 for the ram...then I would take the case/mobo/cd drive to the tip or offer it on freecycle (yes throw away that Win 7 COA too its worth less once the mobo is binned)

    It's a shame but these old, low specified machines are pretty worthless and cost more to ship than its worth in most cases. Easy to sell the bits on ebay though
    Didn't make as much money selling the PC as a whole unit but saved me a trip to the tip and time listing on Ebay and trips to the post office. So I'm happy

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •