Thread: Wooooo!

Thanks

Wooooo!

I've got a reputation for knowing a bit about computers and my mum's friend asked me the other day if I could help her out. She wanted me to help set up her old computer, move her old computer into another room for the kids and set up ADSL for her. Today I did this, and she was gonna chuck out her old p3 system along with scanner, printer, 19" monitor, keyboard mouse etc because she didn't need it anymore

I generously offered to take these off her hands and she was more than happy. Then after finishing the couple of hours work she offered to pay me £60 as well! I said she didn't need to, so we compramised and I got £30. I'm well chuffed, now I'm not sure weather to set this p3 system as a linux box or sell it in my local newspaper for a couple of hundred

Thanks
    Keep it, second PC's are allways good

And allways take some money for your services. Trust me, being honest and truthfull to people will in most cases lead you to no where. Too many people are willing to take advantage of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

cs nub
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Agent
    . Too many people are willing to take advantage of you.
    and how true that is, pc's being dumped on ya to fix etc its not worth the whole smile and say its fixed now thing

Thanks
    I always charge people when building a rig for them. The last time I built a PC for someone I ended up losing money due to a certain bunch of people who sell overclocking related products contuinally despatching me DOA equipment.

Add to that the fact that when you build a PC for someone you are automatically they're tech support guy for the life of the PC.

I just tell people to buy a Dell.

Thanks
    I may have accepted the £60 if it was someone I didn't know but she's my mum's friend and her husband's recently died so I really didn't want to rip her off. In the past I've fixed loadsa things for people for free and have built 3 comps for friends for free so I know what you mean.

Also I'm off to uni after the summer and won't be able to take 2 comps up there, I suppose I could leave one here but then it wouldn't be used most of the time and the extra money might come in handy.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Slick
    I may have accepted the £60 if it was someone I didn't know but she's my mum's friend and her husband's recently died so I really didn't want to rip her off. In the past I've fixed loadsa things for people for free and have built 3 comps for friends for free so I know what you mean.

Also I'm off to uni after the summer and won't be able to take 2 comps up there, I suppose I could leave one here but then it wouldn't be used most of the time and the extra money might come in handy.
    Belive me, you'll want a small server machine for uni

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    Slick,......mate...you and I know you did WELL enough out of it, they're just trying to help you for the future.

P3.....could be a server....or a LAN box......you lucky git

Nice work man

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

2nd hardest inthe infants petrefax's Avatar
    Thanks
    Originally posted by QueenAdreena
    IAdd to that the fact that when you build a PC for someone you are automatically they're tech support guy for the life of the PC.
    true enough there m8, building one don't take long & is a very satisfying thing to do, its the "its making a beep noise when i switch it on - can u call round at <insert unfeasably inconvenient time here> to look at it cos it just don't seem to be going right?"
    if it ain't broke...fix it till it is

Thread Information