Thread: Advice

OilSheikh

Unhappy Advice

I bought an expensive graphics card off Ebay. It was used by the seller for only 4 months ( he sent me the store receipt too ). He mistakenly sent me his new graphics card's receipt too and asked me to post it to him, which I did. His receipt contained a Bitcoin item.
    I used my card for a few months and then noticed that there would be random crashes, there would be no output on the monitor, occasional old no signal screens ( the fuzzy snowy screens on TV's, remember those ? ), display driver has stopped working errors and hangs. This led me to believe that he must have used the card for mining too.

I approached the Graphics card manufacturer for RMA repair as it was within the warranty period and they said RMA's need to be handled by the retailer.

I complained to Paypal and got my money back. I have decided to contact the retailer and arrange an RMA, so that the seller can get a working card and is not out of pocket ( The RMA repaired item would be sent to the seller by the retailer as he bought it from them ) . Should I continue along this line or just bin the card? What if he causes an issue with Paypal and Paypal does a U-turn ?

2. Received thanks from:

Millennium (11-09-2018)

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Advice

Warranties are usually with the original purchaser and not transferable - so you need to read the terms and conditions. And afaik you dont’ get the protection of consumed law unless he is a trader and you are a consumer. (I am not an expert in consumer law though)

But if you have got your money back, you could just send the card back to the seller and let him sort it out.

It does highlight the risks of buying expensive goods off eBay though.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Warranties are usually with the original purchaser and not transferable - so you need to read the terms and conditions. And afaik you dont’ get the protection of consumed law unless he is a trader and you are a consumer. (I am not an expert in consumer law though)

But if you have got your money back, you could just send the card back to the seller and let him sort it out.

It does highlight the risks of buying expensive goods off eBay though.
    More or less, yes.

While the old Sale of Goods Act was commonly referred to as consumer law, and large bits related exclusively to consumers buying from retailers, some of it covered B2B as well .... not that that mattets here. Consumer law is a bit of a misnomer, though, and covered other laws than the old SoGA, which has been replaced anyway, and tightened up a bit.

But I do agree, having got your money back (which is a bit of a surprise is the seller wasn't a retailer), I'd retyrn the defunct card to him and let him sort out the retsiler/RMA aspects.

OilSheikh

Thanks.

Thread Information