Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Beware of Ebuyer Warranty, partial refund after 6 months.

Thanks

Beware of Ebuyer Warranty, partial refund after 6 months.

Recently fell victim to it but my fault for not reading the policy I guess.

Here's the policy:

"If an Order is over 6 months old and we have confirmed that the Product is defective and a refund is due then:

if the Product is found to have been faulty at the time of purchase, clause 10.1.2 will apply; or

if the Product was not faulty at the time of purchase, the refund will be calculated based on the age of the Order and you will be refunded a proportionate amount of the original purchase price of the Product. This does not include the carriage cost of the original Order which will not be refunded."

I sent a computer part in for repair. I discussed the fault with them over the phone and they said they'd repair it and put down it down for repair or replace. I thought great, they'll probably order a replacement part (fan) for the item or send it back to the manufacturer for repair.

Without any talking to me they sent me a lousy partial refund with this below in the email

"As per our terms and conditions and in line with the Sale of Goods Act 1979, as this item is over 6 months old you will only qualify for a proportionate refund of the original purchase price. Therefore we are unable to issue a replacement as initially requested. "

The partial refund is not enough to buy a replacement as they've not come down in price and haven't had any luck in bidding on ebay. Wasting a lot of time looking and it's full of crypto mining parts.

I sent my property in to be repaired and they decided themselves to process a snide partial refund.

I wonder do they send the item back to the manufacturer and claim the full amount back and earn money from that and just pass on part of it?

Also what is the policy of Scan UK? Amazon give out a full refund.

I feel like I've been conned. They had no intention of repairing, and replacement is not even covered yet they wrote it down as an option before I sent it back. They also could've said we can't get that part for it before I sent it in or be honest and say we won't replace as per the terms.

If you bought a car for £4000 and took it in for a minor repair under warranty, for example a roof lining rattle with the understanding of what the fault was and they just sent you a message say we can't repair it and here's the book price of £2500 and said in a telephone conversation inquiry "oh and the engine was knackered" yet you was using it fine otherwise without issue and it was in excellent condition you'd be quite mad. That's my experience with ebuyer.

Is scan similar?
    https://forums.hexus.net/general-dis...icy-right.html

Becoming hard to support UK based companies. Might end up using amazon and giving my money to Jeff Bezos in the US.
    Last edited by tekmon; 17-10-2018 at 12:55 PM.

Thanks
    • MaddAussie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix Z370G
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700k (5.1Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • 500G 960 EVO NMVE
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1070
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM650i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide A1r 240
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell HD + Samsung HD

Re: Beware of Ebuyer Warranty, partial refund after 6 months.

I had a similar issue with Novatech recently, now I will only buy from Amazon

Isn't salad what food eats??

Thanks
    • Jonj1611's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Gaming 5 X370
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 1700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 1 x 1TB, 1 x 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8GB EVGA GTX1080 FTW2
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750W SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster H500
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer 31.5" QHD IPS LED
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Fibre

Scan is similar yes.

That's why I only buy from Amazon. Full refund always, best returns in the business, now they only get my business.
    Jon

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

I believe the Sale of Goods Act has been superseded by the Consumer Rights Act unless the goods were purchased before End of September 2015.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...faulty-product

Thanks
    • Dashers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-5930K
      • Memory:
      • 48GB Corsair DDR4 3000 Quad-channel
      • Storage:
      • Intel 750 PCIe SSD; RAID-0 x2 Samsung 840 EVO; RAID-0 x2 WD Black; RAID-0 x2 Crucial MX500
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 720W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K AMVA + 23.5" 1080 IPS 72Hz OC
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

I wouldn't touch Ebuyer with a barge pole after some similar obstructions for returns. Manufacturer support acknowledged the issue and asked for it to be returned to the supplier. Ebuyer wouldn't have any of it because their chimps couldn't reproduce the intermittent fault on the test bench.

Agree with other comments here. I haven't had a fantastic time with Scan, nor Overclockers. Amazon is definitely the best place to buy in terms of customer service.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-PRO
      • CPU:
      • i7 5960X o/c to 4.summat
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair DDR4 somethingorother
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte G1 GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Phankecks Enthoo Luxe perspex window
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB270HU 1440 IPS GSync
      • Internet:
      • BT 0.7Mbps 'In The Sticks' version

If you are outside the 30-day right to reject, you have to give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace any goods or digital content which are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described.
    You can state your preference, but the retailer can normally choose whichever would be cheapest or easier for it to do.

Under the Sale of Goods Act, the retailer must either repair or replace faulty goods 'within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience'. And the retailer can deduct money from a refund for fair use.

If the product is within its guarantee period, check the terms of the guarantee. Find out if the manufacturer will offer a repair or replacement.
    https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...y-or-guarantee

If you're still having trouble, contact your local Trading Standards - Their legal advice is free.

Quote Originally Posted by tekmon View Post
    I wonder do they send the item back to the manufacturer and claim the full amount back and earn money from that and just pass on part of it?
    What they paid and what percentage of that they'll get back will not be as much as you paid for the item in the first place, so no money would be earned from doing this.

Also what is the policy of Scan UK? Amazon give out a full refund.
    Amazon also buy everything in massive bulk and earn a fortune from numerous other streams. They're so well set up that 'their' refunds aren't even a drop in the Rainforest.... and half the time, it's not Amazon paying the refund, but them simply passing it to you from one of their marketplace retailers anyway. This is why many businesses selling through Amazon end up failing. Amazon can afford to be cavalier about chucking refunds around and soaking up fraudulent returns, because it's at the expense of sellers.

They had no intention of repairing, and replacement is not even covered yet they wrote it down as an option before I sent it back. They also could've said we can't get that part for it before I sent it in or be honest and say we won't replace as per the terms.
    They may not have known which part was needed before you sent it in. Upon seeing what was wrong, they may well have known without needing a return to the manufacturer that it'd cost too much to repair, and replacement depends on stock availability as well as value. It's legally their choice.

If you bought a car for £4000 and took it in for a minor repair under warranty
    Warranty is with the manufacturer not the retailer, unless specifically stated. This is why you can take cars to other approved dealers/mechanics for warranty repairs and product recall fixes.

Becoming hard to support UK based companies. Might end up using amazon and giving my money to Jeff Bezos in the US.
    Vote with your wallet then... Just don't be surprised if UK laws still apply for sales based in the UK.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-PRO
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte G1 GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Dashers View Post
    I haven't had a fantastic time with Scan, nor Overclockers.
    OCUK are alright so long as you don't talk to the Saturday Boy... Get in touch with Bailey, he'll be very fair with you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    I believe the Sale of Goods Act has been superseded by the Consumer Rights Act unless the goods were purchased before End of September 2015.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...faulty-product
    I'll look into it as the item was bought in 2016 but doubt anything can be done with seeing all the other horror stories, seems iron clad.

Yeah, seems like amazon is the way to go. I did buy my gaming rig parts from Scan a while ago and also other GPUs in the past, luckily nothing had failed so never tested Scan's warranty. The last GPU I bought scan didn't have it in stock if I recall so I went with ebuyer.

I bought new to avoid things like ebay but here I am wading through endless mined parts with this rubbish partial refund and looking at auction descriptions where people can't string two words together.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    If you are outside the 30-day right to reject, you have to give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace any goods or digital content which are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described.
    You can state your preference, but the retailer can normally choose whichever would be cheapest or easier for it to do.

Under the Sale of Goods Act, the retailer must either repair or replace faulty goods 'within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience'. And the retailer can deduct money from a refund for fair use.

If the product is within its guarantee period, check the terms of the guarantee. Find out if the manufacturer will offer a repair or replacement.
    https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...y-or-guarantee

If you're still having trouble, contact your local Trading Standards - Their legal advice is free.

What they paid and what percentage of that they'll get back will not be as much as you paid for the item in the first place, so no money would be earned from doing this.

Amazon also buy everything in massive bulk and earn a fortune from numerous other streams. They're so well set up that 'their' refunds aren't even a drop in the Rainforest.... and half the time, it's not Amazon paying the refund, but them simply passing it to you from one of their marketplace retailers anyway. This is why many businesses selling through Amazon end up failing. Amazon can afford to be cavalier about chucking refunds around and soaking up fraudulent returns, because it's at the expense of sellers.

They may not have known which part was needed before you sent it in. Upon seeing what was wrong, they may well have known without needing a return to the manufacturer that it'd cost too much to repair, and replacement depends on stock availability as well as value. It's legally their choice.

Warranty is with the manufacturer not the retailer, unless specifically stated. This is why you can take cars to other approved dealers/mechanics for warranty repairs and product recall fixes.

Vote with your wallet then... Just don't be surprised if UK laws still apply for sales based in the UK.
    Well the replacement is not even covered by the terms after 6 months yet they made it an option before sending. It was clear the item was no longer in stock on the store before sending it in. They of course have other brands of the same graphic card to replace with or get in touch with the manufacturer for a replacement or like for like. Thing is I only sent it in for a minor repair, I wasn't looking for a refund or replacement and sure as hell wasn't expecting a low partial refund of the purchase price without any options or discussion.

The refund was about 60% of the purchase price. Maybe they have some room for profit I'm not sure, they were adamant they won't return it back to me.
    Last edited by tekmon; 17-10-2018 at 02:15 PM.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Yup, go Amazon.

The last time eBuyer and Scan did this to me pretty much decimated the amount of business they got from me. They have now lost thousands in sales from me over the last few years.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Lenovo Flex 2 / 12GB RAM / 240GB Corsair Force 3 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: HTC One U11 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM12.1 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-PRO
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte G1 GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

I'll look into it as the item was bought in 2016 but doubt anything can be done with seeing all the other horror stories, seems iron clad.
    It's 2 years old??!!
    Blimey, is it even still in warranty at this point...?

Yeah, seems like amazon is the way to go.
    At this rate, yeah, because eventually no-one else will want to bother with excessively demanding customers...

Well the replacement is not even covered by the terms after 6 months yet they made it an option before sending. It was clear the item was no longer in stock on the store before sending it in.
    It's possible they were anticipating a replacement from the manufacturer, even if they had none at the retail end... that, or it will be subject to stock levels and other eventualities.

They of course have other brands of the same graphic card to replace with or get in touch with the manufacturer for a replacement or like for like.
    Unless all prices are exactly equal, from new through depreciation, down to used, that may not be a fair swap... and again, not something people should expect. OCUK have a history of doing something similar, and now people expect to abuse something for a couple of years and then demand an equal or better replacement each time...

Thing is I only sent it in for a minor repair, I wasn't looking for a refund or replacement and sure as hell wasn't expecting a low partial refund of the purchase price without any options or discussion.
    Repair may not be possible or viable, for any number of reasons. As previously mentioned, you can state a preference, but it's not your decision.

The refund was about 60% of the purchase price. Maybe they have some room for profit I'm not sure, they were adamant they won't return it back to me.
    I doubt it. The item was used, and you got two years of good use out of it before it developed a fault.
    If you were making an insurance claim, that is exactly the same approach your insurer would take.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

So - it was two years old when it failed - so you had two years use out of it?

So effectively you are getting the second hand value of the card.

Harsh perhaps, but thats the way it works.

Had they got a replacement in stock, it might have been refurbished and anyway, the warranty would have been from the original purchase date.

Unless it explicitly says so, warranties are not 'new for old' insurance policies.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

The item was under two years. Whether it was 6.5 months, 12 months, 14 months or 23 months this is their warranty. You only get a partial refund after 6 months is the point but it seems some of you don't expect things to carry on working as intended or happy to get some use and buy another.

The fault developed much further back, I contacted the manufacture first but their policy is through the retailer. I'd say it has had light to medium use and failed the purpose about 12-14 months in. I thought I would get it repaired or sorted out before the two years is up.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-PRO
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte G1 GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

You only get a partial refund after 6 months is the point
    Well.... yeah. That's what the law allows.
    Retailers can choose offer further benefits beyond what the law has deemed reasonable, but that's entirely up to them.

but it seems some of you don't expect things to carry on working as intended or happy to get some use and buy another.
    Not at all.
    We're just not surprised if something does give out, are already aware it might happen and don't expect a warranty to cover complete replacement of something potentially hammered to death... or feel that it would be reasonable to overcomplicate things and overburden manufacturers and retailers with a plethora of lookup tables to ascertain precise rations of ownership time to usage to wear to value and testing of claims that it's not been hammered.

The fault developed much further back, I contacted the manufacture first but their policy is through the retailer.
    And did you go straight to the retailer immediately afterward?

I'd say it has had light to medium use and failed the purpose about 12-14 months in.
    It could have been used only once, you've still had it for 12-14 months.

I thought I would get it repaired or sorted out before the two years is up.
    Sometimes it's just not possible, or not cost-effective.

If you have any issues, go to Trading Standards, or your Parliamentary Ombudsman.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

The item was under two years. Whether it was 6.5 months, 12 months, 14 months or 23 months this is their warranty. You only get a partial refund after 6 months is the point but it seems some of you don't expect things to carry on working as intended or happy to get some use and buy another.

The fault developed much further back, I contacted the manufacture first but their policy is through the retailer. I'd say it has had light to medium use and failed the purpose about 12-14 months in. I thought I would get it repaired or sorted out before the two years is up.
    if a product faiks after 6 months (that tine being defined by law) you may request repair/replacement but not insist on it, especially if it's either not possible, or not economic.

Then, you might be entitled to a partial refund, or to nothing. That will depend on why/how it failed, and may require you to get an expert report. But assuming they grant a refund whixh isn't necessarily something they're required to do, then tge deduction rwflects the use you've had from the card.

It works broadly like this :-

x = average life of card.
    y = how long you had it

r = (x - y)/ x (as a percentage)

So for arguments sake, expected life = 5 years. You had yours 2 years What you "lost" was the remaining 3 years. Which by a strange coincidence, is 3/5ths of the purchase price or ..... yup, 60%

If you gad taken this to court, and won, that's pretty likely to be what you would have won.

As for "other cards" being available, that cuts both ways. I had a raging argument with a retailer that wanted to supply an "equiivalent" from snother manufacturer which most definitely was not acceotable - I had ruled that out when I bought what I bought as it didn't do what I wanted. That type of substitution can be a can of worms.

Oh, and finally, your xar example is a bad one as it is the one type of product specifically excluded from ths legjsllation that gives rise to these terms.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post

It could have been used only once, you've still had it for 12-14 months.
    I'm probably one of those needy customers then.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information