Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whos going to uni?

Thanks
    Originally posted by petrefax
    hehe - another 1992 graduate here! - where'd u go mate?
    Originally posted by Swafeman
    i like chemistry, i like girls
    KCL... Chemistry (main concentration - organic) with Management options.
    Last edited by spikegifted; 22-09-2003 at 12:28 AM.
    Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly. - Batman costume warning label (Rolfe, John & Troob, Peter, Monkey Business (Swinging Through the Wall Street Jungle), 2000)

Thanks
    Looks like we got a forum full of computer scientists. and iv seen quite a few mathmatitians here too u cleva buGGers

Were starting to take our hobbies seriously

Thanks
    i dont do chemistry as a hobby it's getting the best out of something not that great.... blowing things up/getting experiments wrong is fun

Thanks
    You want to know something about things going wrong in the chemistry lab? Try this...

I was trying to reduce an sugar-based acid back to the sugar and it required heat with lithium aluminum hydride in a ether solution. I setup the equipment and left. When I came back, the fume cupboard has been racked!! The water pipe feeding the condenser was loose and after the ether was boiled dry, the LiAlH4 exploded... I was told it was a 'bang' of sort... One of the stoppers on the tripple neck round bottom flask got blown off - it hit the side of the fume cupboard which usually has bullet-proof glass! You can see the point of impact!

If you think that's not too spectacular, the one that happened a year after I left was truly awful... The kid was doing a different reaction, but lost his left hand (he was holding the flask) and his thumb and first two fingers on his right hand (he was adding something into the flask when it went)!!
    Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly. - Batman costume warning label (Rolfe, John & Troob, Peter, Monkey Business (Swinging Through the Wall Street Jungle), 2000)

Thanks
    oh dear god! and i complained cos i used something-or-another carbonate instead of carbonite and it was wrong! - hence i got a B :/ but we didnt get a second chance at the experiment, eventhough it was the fooking demonstrators fault for putting the wrong thing in the wrong place and i got some sort of yellow precipitate instead of a colourless solution heh... oh well!

Thanks
    You get to run your own projects and experiments when you get to the 3rd years... The senior project is one of the most demanding things, especially if you do it on of the heavy-duty experiemental projects.

Anyway, no-one have better time fighting than chemist!! We used to have dry ice fights! Why? You can hit people and it will hurt, but you don't have to clean up!!

Thanks
    They wont let me play with dangerous liquids

Don't feed the trolls... tiggerai's Avatar
    Thanks
    • tiggerai's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD PhenomII 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire X1950XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R 550w
      • Case:
      • Antec lovely black thing
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 20" widescreen
      • Internet:
      • Pipexpants
    I'm missing uni now...

I'm out on placement, working I miss uni so much.

All my mates graduate this year... so i'll go back and it'll just be me and my man.

Thanks

Re: Whos going to uni?

Originally posted by BoB_DoG
    As in the title, how many people are off to university this year, and if so what u studying?

Personally, after the fiasco of six months at UCL studying Electronic Engineering, and then actually having to work after leaving, I am off on my way to a course that wont suck.

Im going to Brunel University to study Product design (BSc Baby!)

AND I CANT WAIT.
    Why a fiasco ?? Im doing my A2's right now and have to put my application in for uni next year, in a couple of months, think im gonna apply to Bristol for Electronic Engineering ??? It aint that bad is it ??

Maybe Electronic Eng with computer systems Eng, still havn't made my mind up as to the specific course. Did you just not like it ? or what ...

All i know is HATE chemistry, after being baffled by somehow getting an A in my GCSE chemistry I was some how convinced to take AS level chemistry, big mistake lol. On results day i come out with, Maths A, Physics A, Computing A, Chemistry D
    I ended up with an unclasified with one of them, only managed the D because i got a B in one module, just scraped a D by 2%

I blame it on the chem teacher who encouraged questions and then liked to call you an imbecile for not knowing the answer lol
    Last edited by Lexeus; 23-09-2003 at 11:21 PM.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton, 1024Mb PC-3200 TwinMOS w/Winbond, MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR, Radeon 9800SE AIW, 40 GB 7,200 Rpm Hitachi Deskstar, 120GB 7,200 Rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor Diamond 9, 160GB 7200 Rpm 8mb Cache Seagate 7200.7 SATA, Plextor 708A 8x DVD-RW, 550W PFC Q-tec PSU, Casetek 1019SM Silver Case, Camdridge Soundworks DTT2200 Speakers

Laptop: Clevo D470W - 17" Widescreen TFT, Intel Pentium4 3.06Ghz 533FSB, 1024Mb PC-2700 Hynix, Radeon Mobility 9000 64Mb, Fujitsu 80Gb 4,200rpm, 250Gb 7,2000rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor OneTouch, Toshiba SD-R6372 DVD-RW +/- x4, Built-in Four speakers, webcam and microphone

Thanks
    Electronic Engineering wasnt too bad, but where I was it was a really intensive course, and also full of foreign students, most of whom had trouble speaking fluent english. The course was all maths based, and whilst that might tent some peoples trousers, it wasnt really what I expected it to be.

In the end, I really wanted more from my 4 years at uni than just a degree, and a lot of hard work.

Thanks
    im off to uni,
    cant do with the early starts anymore
    all messed up times,
    9-10am lecture
    free all day
    and 4-5pm lecture

this is cruel / torture!

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    as you might have seen from my 'woohoo!' thred i finished (very drunkenly) an MSc yesterday which I am very happy about.
    now thinking 'what next' or maybe PhD..

i fancy being a doctor if only for the reason that I can stand up and shout 'YES' what someone calls out 'is there a doctor in the house'
    despite having zip to do with medicine