Thread: Plumbs - anyone used them?

Thanks

Plumbs - anyone used them?

For clarity, I'm referring to the furniture re-upholstery company that refurb chairs, sofa's, etc.

What I'm interested in is the full reupholstery service. By whuchbI mean, not just new covers, but stripping furniture back to the chassis, replacing springs, rebuilding foam padding, etc, and then covering in fabric of your choice. All to modern flame-retardant spec, etc.

Also, if necessary, frames can be separated, reglued/screwed and repaired.

Has anyone used them? How did you find them? Any luck negotiating on price?

Oh, and on the subject of price, I'm aware they are not cheap, and that this process is very labour-intensive, and skilled labour at that. It is certainly going to be more expensive than buying a cheap modern suite, and probably not far off Ercol, G-Plan, Parker Knoll, etc, so it's only worth it if the suite you're doing is well-built, probably soluid hardwood, and good quality in the first place.

TIA.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Re: Plumbs - anyone used them?

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    For clarity, I'm referring to the furniture re-upholstery company that refurb chairs, sofa's, etc.

What I'm interested in is the full reupholstery service. By whuchbI mean, not just new covers, but stripping furniture back to the chassis, replacing springs, rebuilding foam padding, etc, and then covering in fabric of your choice. All to modern flame-retardant spec, etc.

Also, if necessary, frames can be separated, reglued/screwed and repaired.

Has anyone used them? How did you find them? Any luck negotiating on price?

Oh, and on the subject of price, I'm aware they are not cheap, and that this process is very labour-intensive, and skilled labour at that. It is certainly going to be more expensive than buying a cheap modern suite, and probably not far off Ercol, G-Plan, Parker Knoll, etc, so it's only worth it if the suite you're doing is well-built, probably soluid hardwood, and good quality in the first place.

TIA.
    my folks got this done not too long ago - not sure of the company, but it sounds the same as what you're on about. I'll find out the details of who they used. Seem to go quite well with a couple of snags that needed a 2nd pass, but got there in the end.

3. Received thanks from:

Saracen999 (28-01-2019)

Thanks

Re: Plumbs - anyone used them?

Thanks, ik9000.

One of my firm beliefs is that you can tell much more about a company from how they handle problems than if everything is perfect first time .... though the latter is preferable. There are several companies I've been using for years, like my car audio supplier, mainly because of how they handled it when there was a problem.

Thread Information