Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HMV saved - sort of

Thanks

Re: HMV saved - sort of

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    @Saracen999

HMV and (Virgin Megastore) have a bit of a special place in my heart (there were time I would spend hours windows shopping as a kid without money).. but if the goal is to purchase CDs (not sure about Vinyl) can't it be done online? Those things aren't exactly time critical purchases right?

Oh, sure, it could be done online.

But, as I said, I'm a bit of an anchronism. And in a number of ways. Which is kinda weird for a semi-retired twch journalist that's spent a good chunk of the last 30 years playing with .... errr, .i mean "testing" the latest tech before the public has any chance, and regularly before they've even heard of it.

Anyway, online?

I guess I took it for granted that my views on online buying were common kbowledge, partly because I've said it so often, over many years. But of course that's presumptuous of me that people even read it, and if they did, cared enough to remember.

So .... I avoid online buying whenever and wherever possible. Two main reasons. Buying online means dealing with couriers and I did thatso much in my journalism life, and had so many problems, that now I avoid doing so wherever possible. Secondly, privacy. Buying online means using payment card and that, at an absolute minimumm means a risk of one more aspect of my life being digitally recorded, tracked, stored analysed, manipulated, used and probably abused, by people I seriously loathe, the data vampires.

Buying a CD, for cash, in a local store, on the other hand ....

So, I very, very very rarely use online buying because I very, very VERY rarely use either debit or credit card.

And if all that ain't enough, I enjoy the time spent going in, rummaging around and finding some little gem I'd never have thought to search for, online.

You mentioned lifestyle changes. Well, me too, but in a very different way.

Now, I work when and if I want, on what I want, and only ever when the mood takes me. My most precious commodity is time, so I spend that most carefully, and rummaging in a music shop is one of those little treats that I value, like reading a good book cooking a nice meal, spending time with those close to me, or growing herbs, veg etc for my kitchen. But sitting on a computer, looking through an "online store"? That ranks with me somewhere equal-ish in my fun-stakes to root canal surgery, or maybe passing a kidney stone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    I go to Truro a fair bit (spend over half my time in Newquay) and the HMV there is at best half the size of Plymouth's. Perhaps they are shutting the larger stores?

Oddly though, the Truro store always seems empty and the Plymouth store always busy........
    Several of the closure targets do seem to be large "flagship" stores .... which gives me some hope that they're refocussing on music fans, not trying to be all things to all folk, and all flashy with it.

A good record shop needs (IMHO) exactly two things :-

1) a very good, if eclectic, range of material, and
    2) staff that are full of both knowledge and enthusiasm.

Which is why small, owner-managed stores are often far better. Hopefully, HMV try to offer a really good service to true fans.

Thanks

HMV has re-opened in Plymouth
    Jon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information