Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Farage to Launch Brexit Party Today

Thanks

Farage to Launch Brexit Party Today

Mentioned not just Brexit - but 'a broken' two party system:

Any other year, any other time, and I would have said this would be pointless, and maybe it still is, but I suspect there's more impetus for a third party now then any other time in recent memory. But will this split the Conservative vote and mostly leave the Labour vote intact?
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Re: Farage to Launch Brexit Party Today

Quote Originally Posted by Galant View Post
    Mentioned not just Brexit - but 'a broken' two party system:

Any other year, any other time, and I would have said this would be pointless, and maybe it still is, but I suspect there's more impetus for a third party now then any other time in recent memory. But will this split the Conservative vote and mostly leave the Labour vote intact?
    Hasn't the Brexit party been knocking about for a few months at least, pretty much as soon as the new UKip leader went full BNP?

I don't think Labour will escape untouched, if we've learned one thing about Brexit it's that it doesn't divide along traditional party lines.

Certain irony that the "undemocratic" EU insists on holding elections under a far more equitable system than FPTP.

3. Received thanks from:

outwar6010 (12-04-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    Hasn't the Brexit party been knocking about for a few months at least, pretty much as soon as the new UKip leader went full BNP?

I don't think Labour will escape untouched, if we've learned one thing about Brexit it's that it doesn't divide along traditional party lines.

Certain irony that the "undemocratic" EU insists on holding elections under a far more equitable system than FPTP.
    They've been talked about but nothing official and no list of any specific individuals.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    • g8ina's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z75 Pro3
      • CPU:
      • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3.
      • Storage:
      • 250GB SSD system, 250GB SSD Data + 2TB data, + 8TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD 6870
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 22"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB unlimited

Cheers, David

6. Received thanks from:

DanceswithUnix (12-04-2019),outwar6010 (12-04-2019)

Thanks
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group Dark Pro Edition 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHZ
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

Quote Originally Posted by g8ina View Post
    "donate to led by donkeys"
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."

8. Received thanks from:

MaddAussie (12-04-2019),Top_gun (12-04-2019)

Thanks

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

I think the most insidious thing about UKIP as was - apparenlty now the Brexit party - is the obvious conflict of interest in them standing for European elections ... "We don't think the EU works for Britain, so vote to send us to the EU where we can make sure the EU doesn't work for Britain".

They're not there to represent British interests in the EU, and it's frankly dishonest of them to stand for election to a position where they can have no positive impact whatsoever on whether the UK remain in, or leaves, the EU. It's one of the most blood-boiling things about the whole toxic nonsense.

*ahem* and perhaps now it's clear why I've been keeping out of most of the Brexit threads

11. Received thanks from:

Ferral (18-04-2019),MaddAussie (12-04-2019),outwar6010 (12-04-2019)

Thanks
    • PC-LAD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • X370 GT7
      • CPU:
      • R5 3600 @ 4.3GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4*4 GB TG Delta @2933
      • Storage:
      • 128gb Sandisk SSD plus, 1tb SeaGate Barracuda, 640GB WD Black, 500gb WD Blue sata ssd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Evga G+650w
      • Case:
      • MasterBox 5 Lite TemG
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • MSI Optix G24C
      • Internet:
      • 10 up 70 Down

Shame RT are supporters of Tommy Robinsons fruit shoots tho

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    I think the most insidious thing about UKIP as was - apparenlty now the Brexit party - is the obvious conflict of interest in them standing for European elections ... "We don't think the EU works for Britain, so vote to send us to the EU where we can make sure the EU doesn't work for Britain".

They're not there to represent British interests in the EU, and it's frankly dishonest of them to stand for election to a position where they can have no positive impact whatsoever on whether the UK remain in, or leaves, the EU. It's one of the most blood-boiling things about the whole toxic nonsense.

*ahem* and perhaps now it's clear why I've been keeping out of most of the Brexit threads
    Couldn't conceivably disagree more.

Look, like it or not e are, and have been for decades, in an supranational organisation that morphed from a "Common Market" into a body that stands for ever-further integration, including political integration.

I'll say that again, in case the point wasn't clear - we ARE members.,

So, by your logic, anybody that doesn't agree we should be in gets no representative electoral say in how that organisation is run?

Only the people that agree with it get a vote?

So if the likes of UKIP (old version) can't stand for election, just who are people like me that don't support the EU supposed to vote for?

By your logic, the only candidates that are eligible are those that support the EU, so my electoral choice is limited to :-

a) a candidate whose beliefs are opposite to mine, OR

b) don't vote.

Let's apply that logic to UK elections, shall we?

We have a Tory government, so we won't let any candidates stand for Labour, LibDem, SNP, Plaid, Green or ..... well, Monster Raving Loony.

You now have a choice of voting Tory, or not voting at all. How's your logic working out for you?

I would remind you that at the last EU elections, UKIP (old version) came FIRST in the UK. They beat both Labour and Tory. Yet, by your logic, all those people aren't allowed to vote for who they want to?

Rarely have I heard a more ludicrous or anti-democratic suggestion.

"Democratic" (and I use that tetm loosely, whether referring to the EU or UK) set rules for representative ineligibility. There are things you cannot do, and cannot say. There are rules you have to meet, and modest fees you have to pay, and providing you don't breach tjose ineligibility criteria and comply with electoral law, anybody can stand, and on any platform, including outright satirical and mocking parties like the Loonies who, frankly, add a bit of colour and puncture the pomposity of many mainstream candidates.

It's then for people to choose either to vote for them, or not. The idea is that people vote for any legal party they believe in, and if enough vote for an anti-EU party (as they did) then it starts to have political consequences.

Or are we just supposed to toe the traditional party line because a pre-selected set of candidates want us to endorse the status quo?

Having a range of (legal) diverse candidates giving people of all views a candidate broadly in line with their views is a fundamental democratic pressure release valve, without which we risk alternative ways of objecting, like the Russian or French revolutions.

If I vote for a UKIP candidate in an EU election, he/she had darn well better be eurosceptic when they get there. It's what I voted for them for.

14. Received thanks from:

peterb (12-04-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Galant View Post
    All i could focus on in that video (i assume it's the same as what was on TV) is that guy at the back right, someone really should have told him to get rid of his gum as he looks like he's not finished his lunch or that he's doing an impression of a heifer.

/pet hate rant.

Thanks

UKIP mark II. Same broken record. No plan A.

Just how long will it be until you read about their racist's antics in the national newspapers?

17. Received thanks from:

Ferral (14-04-2019),outwar6010 (12-04-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Top_gun View Post
    UKIP mark II. Same broken record. No plan A.

Just how long will it be until you read about their racist's antics in the national newspapers?
    More parties than UKIP have had problems with racists. I would point you at current Labour issues with anti-semiticism, as a leading example.

The difference is that under Farage, UKIP knew just how poisonous racism is and booted out anyone caught. The current UKIP seems to be embracing it, which is why I think it's doomed.

My bet is that this new Farage party will be very aware how poisonous it is too, and be very proactive about booting it out.

But it's not surprising to see that hoary old allegation surface so fast, and with zero evidence.

Having had many discussions over the years where I opposed, for example, the UK joining the Euro on purely economic grounds to do with structural differences and the nature of trade cycles, only to be met with the highly informative response (not) of "racist", because if I oppose Euro I must be eurosceptic, and therefore must be racist.

Is it any wonder that this issue is so contentious when we get so moderate, considered and detailed response as that old "racist" smear.

You try being called that year after year because of your (mainstream) political view and see how you like it. Maybe I ought to start treating all Labour supporters as antisemites and racists? No? I thought not.

blueball

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    More parties than UKIP have had problems with racists. I would point you at current Labour issues with anti-semiticism, as a leading example.
    Don't forget the Tories and their Islamaphobia which is just as bad

Thanks
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group Dark Pro Edition 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHZ
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post

The difference is that under Farage, UKIP knew just how poisonous racism is and booted out anyone caught. The current UKIP seems to be embracing it, which is why I think it's doomed.

My bet is that this new Farage party will be very aware how poisonous it is too, and be very proactive about booting it out.

But it's not surprising to see that hoary old allegation surface so fast, and with zero evidence.

Having had many discussions over the years where I opposed, for example, the UK joining the Euro on purely economic grounds to do with structural differences and the nature of trade cycles, only to be met with the highly informative response (not) of "racist", because if I oppose Euro I must be eurosceptic, and therefore must be racist.

Is it any wonder that this issue is so contentious when we get so moderate, considered and detailed response as that old "racist" smear.

You try being called that year after year because of your (mainstream) political view and see how you like it. Maybe I ought to start treating all Labour supporters as antisemites and racists? No? I thought not.
    Top_gun didn't say you were racist. However ukip have overtly been xenophobic towards eastern europeans and then there was the anti refugee billboards etc...

The anti semitism thing is a completely different situation and members who have been reported seem to be kicked out quickly. Unlike how tories deal with islamophobes which is to suspend them and quietly let them back in.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."

21. Received thanks from:

Ferral (14-04-2019),MaddAussie (12-04-2019),Top_gun (12-04-2019)

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

I'm glad he's joined them and they have started to promote themselves...this could be our best way out of this mess

Best thing that could happen for the UK now is that the Tory & Labour brexiteers all defect and join up with this lot, a GE is called mid year and both the tories and labour pledge to remain in their manifesto, tories get back in power and this whole mess is put to bed.

Sadly I doubt that will happen (although I can dream!) and what is more likely is that whilst we'll see some defections, the "brexit party" will do just as badly as UKIP, the tories will keep leave in their manifesto whereas labour won't, and we'll end up with a labour government that either gives us a second referendum or chooses to remain.

As a remain voter that puts me in a real quandry - I fundamentally disagree with the vast majority of labour policy (notably their stance on nationialisation, tuition fees, & trade unions, amongst many, many, many others) and I am really not sure which option would do more damage to the UK - leaving the EU or Labour getting in to power with Corbyn as a leader.

I've come to the conclusion that we're probably all stuffed, and my best option is to move to Canada when (as is likely) my personal circumstances present the opportjunity in the next 12 months. I am so thoroughly embarassed and ashamed to be British right now

23. Received thanks from:

Saracen999 (12-04-2019),Top_gun (12-04-2019)

blueball

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    I am so thoroughly embarassed and ashamed to be British right now
    Feel free to be embarrassed but never be ashamed of being British. You can however feel ashamed at the complete lack of leadership in this country; led by a bunch of self serving,... etc etc etc

25. Received thanks from:

Saracen999 (12-04-2019)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information