Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jamie Oliver

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by elm
    He also runs a restaurant which would be where the most part of his money comes from, so saying he's getting £10M for this one series is YOU being naive.
    Where did i say that? But his restaurant got very popular after he was on tv, so I would estimate 95% of his income is linked to how he appears on tv. You are naive if you cant see this.

Elmo you are clearly very young. All my points are totally valid, if you are so in love with this guy and you can't even admit the possiblity that his motives may at least be partly driven by the huge amount of money he is making from it then it is you who is naive. As I said, good luck to the guy I hope he makes a lot more money, but I won't be queueing up to lick his arse and call him the new messiah for making 2 tv programs where he "shows how much he cares".

Andy, I am not saying that anyone who does charity work is an evil baddy who is only out for themselves. Try not to be so polarised, philosophers have debated altruism and philantrhopy for hundreds of years (do a Google search) and there is still no clear answer.

Jamie Oliver for Primeminister!
    Athlon 3500+ | 1Gb Ram
    ATI X800 XT PE | Blackgold TV Card
    Raptor 74Gb OS/Games | 200Gb Storage
    Samsung 21inch TFT | Freecom16x DVD/RW

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tom deloford

Elmo you are clearly very young. All my points are totally valid, if you are so in love with this guy and you can't even admit the possiblity that his motives may at least be partly driven by the huge amount of money he is making from it then it is you who is naive. As I said, good luck to the guy I hope he makes a lot more money, but I won't be queueing up to lick his arse and call him the new messiah for making 2 tv programs where he "shows how much he cares".
    I would appreciate it if you werent so bloody patronising. I dont regad myself as "very young" at all, however i'm not "old" either. I'm 21 this year, and i would say a very worldly one at that. Jumping to the conclusion that just because i dont share the same closeminded view as you, i obviously am "in love with him" is total bollocks tbh. I'm not the only one that has disagreed with you in this thread, if you've got a problem with the fact i'm a girl is troubling you, then please, GET A GRIP.

Thanks
    • Steve's system
      • CPU:
      • Intel i3-350M 2.27GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GiB Crucial DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 320GB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD3000
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 11.10
    Tom, please stop with the flamebait. While I don't doubt that Jamie is enjoying the success that comes as a result of what he is doing, he is still creating public awareness... which is why this thread is here in the first place.

Can we please move away from talking about Jamie's finances and resume discussion of the subject this thread was intended to cover - the crap kids eat today.

Thanks guys.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Old boys club member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kez
    Can we please move away from talking about Jamie's finances and resume discussion of the subject this thread was intended to cover - the crap kids eat today.

Thanks guys.

Thanks
    I'm 21 this year, and i would say a very worldly one at that.
    Ok Ill have to trust you on that one.

Kez mate, read the posts again, I think I'm not the one to criticise, anyway its not for you to decide whether ppl can talk about jamies finances or the crap kids eat today, most threads divulge from the starting thread. In fact the thread is titled Jamie Oliver, I therefore claim the right to discuss Jamie Oliver, whether that be how wonderful he is (Andy,Elmo etc.) or how he "may" have more than purely saintly intentions. Please moderate, not dictate.
    Last edited by tom deloford; 20-03-2005 at 03:13 PM.
    Athlon 3500+ | 1Gb Ram

Thanks
    • Steve's system
      • CPU:
      • Intel i3-350M 2.27GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GiB Crucial DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 320GB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD3000
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 11.10
    I wouldn't mind if you could do it without creating arguments... that's right, arguments, not discussions.

I won't be undermined. Either drop it as of right now, or I'll dump the thread.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();

Thanks
    Sorry Kez but I honestly dont think I have done anything wrong, everything I said I backed up. This is debating, the fact that someone else cannot propose a decent opposition to that view is not my problem.

I think I shouldnt have used the word naive and I retract that, but apart from that I have not flamed at all. I didnt use the word b****cks (like elmo) for example.

BTW...

Definition of argument : A discussion in which disagreement is expressed; a debate

Are you actually proposing that every discussion must be in full agreement?
    Last edited by tom deloford; 20-03-2005 at 03:23 PM.
    Athlon 3500+ | 1Gb Ram

Thanks
    • Steve's system
      • CPU:
      • Intel i3-350M 2.27GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GiB Crucial DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 320GB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD3000
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 11.10
    think I shouldnt have used the word naive and I retract that, but apart from that I have not flamed at all. I didnt use the word b****cks (like elmo) for example.
    You are right in that respect, but Elmo hasn't come back with any witty replies against me has she? I'm happy as long as this thread continues in a civlised manner. It'd be a shame to ditch it for the sake of an argument because it could be a really good thread. Let's let it continue, and take any further issues to the PM system (not that I feel any more needs to be said.)
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();

Registered+
    Thanks
    I have always like the work that Jamie Oliver does, It is great that he is encouraging the youth of our country to eat heathly, and keep off Junk food.
    Kemp!

Thanks
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • 1x 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD 2x640gb HGST raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Silencio 352
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband
    I think what is so shocking is how little regard government (of all colours) has for nutrition in schools. It's their responsibility yet choose to do nothing about it.

It is well known that diet in children affects behaviour yet instead if spending a bit more of my tax on a decent mid-day meal for children they choose to waste it.

What you have to ask yourself is, would you eat turkey twizzlers and happy pizza faces that cost 37p for a main meal when there is an alternative?
    "Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be." Frank Zappa. ----------- "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Huang Po.----------- "A drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind", - Ride.

Registered+
    Thanks
    i think the goverment thinks the problem lies with the lack of exicise rather than the junk food which many of opur children eat.

The goverment have improved sporting facitilles in schools and not the quality of food. What is this country coming to?
    Kemp!

Thanks
    Its a bit unfair to compare 37p to the cost of a meal you get from sainsburys. Bulk buying has a significant effect. Take the cost price of "healthy" food from sainsburys and compare it to 37p, then you might get a better idea of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Kez
    but Elmo hasn't come back with any witty replies against me has she?
    Note to self: No witty replies
    Last edited by tom deloford; 20-03-2005 at 05:31 PM.
    Athlon 3500+ | 1Gb Ram

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan kempo
    i think the goverment thinks the problem lies with the lack of exicise rather than the junk food which many of opur children eat.
    The government thinks that reducing spending on the sly is more important than children's health.
    There is an old saying: You are what you eat. While well known, most people don't understand quite how literal it's truth is.
    I read a book called "Fats that heal, fats that kill" It only covered one tiny part of dietary needs, but it did it really well. It explained the basic chemistry of essential fatty acids, how human cells are built from them, and that the human body can't manufacture them, they have to be eaten.
    There is a less well known saying: Eat foods that spoil, before they do...
    Modern diets are increasingly made up of convenient food. Convenient for the suppliers, that is. Many of the critical elements of foodstuffs, like essential fatty acids, go off quickly. Suppliers don't like foods that go off. So they process them chemically. Healthy substances are converted to unhealthy ones. But hey, what do they care, their products can sit for weeks or months in the supermarket and the consumer won't have a clue that they're buying rubbish. They even have the cheek to claim they are healthy (e.g. margarines are not a healthy alternative to butter. They are nutritionally bankrupt and even carcinogenic.)

The point I am making is that a healthy diet needs some foodstuffs that are fresh and unprocessed. That means they cannot be dirt cheap. So school dinners at 37p or whatever cannot possibly be adequate.

When Tony Blair eats the same food as schoolkids, I'll believe the government cares about them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan kempo
    The goverment have improved sporting facitilles in schools and not the quality of food.
    What, they've started buying back all the playing fields that were sold off, have they?
    DFI LanParty UT NF4 SLI-D; AMD64 3500+ Winchester ;
    2x XFX 6600GT ; Corsair XMS3200XLPRO TWINX 1GB;
    Dell 2405FPW TFT.

Thanks
    • steve threlfall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 WFP 24" Widescreen, Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb
    Its a bit unfair to compare 37p to the cost of a meal you get from sainsburys. Bulk buying has a significant effect. Take the cost price of "healthy" food from sainsburys and compare it to 37p, then you might get a better idea of the problem.

Note to self: No witty replies
    True enough but this isnt really a case of how much money is spent on the meal but what that money is spent on. 37p bulk buying turkey twizzlers (processed muck) or 37p bulk buying chicken legs (that are much healthier).

I see your point though, the unhealthy food could well cost a good deal less...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rajagra
    (e.g. margarines are not a healthy alternative to butter. They are nutritionally bankrupt and even carcinogenic.)

Just as a side note here, not *ALL* margarines are bad, the same as not all fats are bad. Animal fats are bad (hence butter being worse than marge), plant fats are lightly better for you as long as they are unsaturated fats. The only problems with this is that unsaturated fats are liquids. These are then saturated or "hydrogenised" to make them solids and this is where the problem lies.

*back on topic*

Thanks
    Thought I'd post an extract from this page someone sent me a while back, its a pretty daunting guide to cancer prevention and eating healthy. All the bad foods sound like school dinners to me!

• Avoid beef. pork and lamb; processed meats and liver. In a large study at Harvard it was shown that the relative risk of colon cancer in women who ate beef, pork, or lamb as a main dish every day was about two-and-a-half times that of women who ate such foods less than once a month. Processed meats and liver were also associated with increased risk, whereas fish and chicken without skin were related to decreased risk. The conclusion was that a high intake of animal tat increased the risk of colon cancer.

• Avoid all foods that contain olestra. When traveling through the body olestra takes with it the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K and it also reduces circulating levels of carotenoids, including beta-carotene and lycopene.

• Avoid all processed fats and oils or any foods containing processed oils including hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated products. Trans fats or hydrogenated oils found in margarine and vegetable oils are linked with an increase in breast cancer. Avoid canola oil, safflower oil, corn oil, soybean oil, sesame oil as well as margarine. Avoid all commercial cookies, crackers, snack foods, frozen foods, deli foods, mayonnaise, fried foods and all foods labeled "partially hydrogenated."

• Avoid frying, barbecuing or broiling meat, poultry or fish - especially when using polyunsaturated fats such as safflower or corn oil as it can produce potential carcinogens called heterocyclic amines which have been linked with many forms of cancer. If you do occasionally fry food, use olive oil or butter and do not cook to a point where your food becomes burnt or blackened.

• Avoid refined carbohydrates such as white sugar and white flour. They can cause abnormally high levels of blood glucose, a common factor in cancer. The excess glucose feeds the fermentation process of cancer cells and suppresses the immune system. Elevated glucose levels are seen three to eight times more often in people with active cancer. A study on diet and breast cancer showed a relation*ship between an excess of starch intake (refined pasta and bread) and breast cancer.

• Avoid processed soy foods - such as soy grits, textured soy protein and soy oil which have been processed using hexane a toxic chemical used frequently as an extraction agent.

• Cancer patients should avoid coffee. For those in good health, however, organic coffee is fine in moderation.

• Cancer patients should avoid alcohol. Alcohol depletes glutathione levels and stresses the liver. For healthy individuals a glass of organic red wine with a meal is fine. Wine is a rich source of two very important anti-carcinogens - PCOs and resveratrol.

• Do not smoke. Countless studies have shown significant increase in the risk for cancers of the lung, bladder, esophagus, stomach and pancreas in smokers as compared to nonsmokers.

Its the trans fatty acids that are created as a by-product of ALL margarine (hydrogenatation) production that are considered (currently) to be carcinogenic.
    Last edited by tom deloford; 20-03-2005 at 07:34 PM.
    Athlon 3500+ | 1Gb Ram

Thread Information