• BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Re: Should HS2 proceed : Yes or No?

I tend to think it will allow for more advance fares - if I book when the trains are quiet - e.g. a month or two ahead - its cheap..I can do a peak time return for £60, not too bad. When they are busy, the prices are crazy expensive...since HS2 is mostly about capacity (and also lower running costs), i;d expect prices to be cheaper (in relative terms - keeping inflation etc in mind).

Thanks

It's not a line I'm likely to use, so no axe to grind either way.

I hope you're right, Spud. I'm just ..... ummm .... sceptical. And maybe cynical too.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Im a NO

Because I'm seeing the ridiculous waste of money on my very door step every single day.

I'm seeing trees and hedges netted off for 1 year so they can prove there's no wildlife at stake when they cut them down
    I'm seeing plans for fields being dug up and moved. Yes entire fields are to be dug to a depth of over 1m and being relaid elsewhere to save the bio diversity in the soil.
    I'm seeing designs for tunnels that aren't dug into the side of hills. They're massive ravines dug from above, and then a concrete lid is to be put on it and a skim of soil to allow grass to grow. No trees will grow along those lids.
    I'm seeing good agriculatural growing fields, laid fallow while contractors park up and wait...for years.
    I'm seeing rows of saplings planted to create noise breaks, in mid summer and then no one is paid to water them and everyone dies... thousands of them

And for an actual personal "it happened to me" moment....

Last winter I stopped my car in a country lane, at 9pm to take a star photo with my mobile phone... it was laid on the roof, middle of a country lane, AC DC playing on the stereo, while I counted to 100 for the shot to take... and a security gaurd walked out of a field, to ask what I was doing. I told him to leave me alone and he stood there with his torch and said he had to wait until I'd driven off. He was gaurding the new site that a truck site was due to be built on the next month. He had to protect it from antis

But..... I'd go with all of that if I thought the efficency and time to travel to the north would shrink sizably. But it won't. It'll save an hour from London to Brum I think. woopeee.

I see no CO2 calcuations for the concrete, work force, diggers, smelting of steel, laying of tracks, creation of trains (from China) or building of bridges along the route

And it won't be cheap to travel on.. how can it be? At that cost

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

4. Received thanks from:

hb904460 (12-02-2020),sammyc (21-01-2020),Saracen999 (23-01-2020),Ttaskmaster (21-01-2020)

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Would be nice for the south west to get some transport link upgrades........

So I say no, as the links to the North are much better than the links to the South West currently. How about doing things in a logical manor?

Especially with the cornwall spaceport that (I beleive) has been agreed. The links down here are bad enough already.....now there is going to be a huge influx in people and frieght....
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post

So I say no, as the links to the North are much better than the links to the South West currently. How about doing things in a logical manor?
    now THAT makes sense.

and therefore won't occur.. but it DOES make sense.

tell you what else we could do with between 50 and 100 billion quid...

have proper national internet networking- now THAT would make us more efficient.

"The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Well, I saw that docu the other day, on the declining Cornish fishing industry.
    The general hope seemed to be that Brexit would lead to better control over our waters and a swell in local fishing, which could subsequently mean improvements in freight and transport lines...?

For those who aren't fans of scenery and outdoor pursuits, Terry English, or some other niche interest, Cornwall basically has Goonhilly/Eden Project, cream teas and pasties. You'll need more than just a reasonable fry up at the Jamaica Inn to draw the people and investments that would justify public transport, over what they rely on private vehicles to currently facilitate.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    For those who aren't fans of scenery and outdoor pursuits, Terry English, or some other niche interest, Cornwall basically has Goonhilly/Eden Project, cream teas and pasties. You'll need more than just a reasonable fry up at the Jamaica Inn to draw the people and investments that would justify public transport, over what they rely on private vehicles to currently facilitate.
    might add a few to this (all of which are tourist based)

Lost Gardens of Heligan
    Lands End
    St Michaels Mount
    Sandy Beaches for family holidays

but I take your point. It's quiet..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    I see no CO2 calcuations for the concrete, work force, diggers, smelting of steel, laying of tracks, creation of trains (from China) or building of bridges along the route

And it won't be cheap to travel on.. how can it be? At that cost
    What about the continued air travel that many use to get 'hup Norf, less air travel is a good thing right if HS2 cits travel enough to not need to fly.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig View Post
    What about the continued air travel that many use to get 'hup Norf, less air travel is a good thing right if HS2 cits travel enough to not need to fly.
    yup.. agreed. But there's another issue there, isnt there?

Aviation fuel has no tax on it.. so it's cheap to fly planes and even cheaper when the government bails out failing flight companies.

So HS2 will HAVE to be cheap to compete.. and it cant be cheap at it's current cost.

Chickens and Eggs and all sorts of things between are leaving everyone baffled

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Supernova G6 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" U2715H & Gigabyte M27Q
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe

It's a no from me. It would never reach Scotland anyway so wouldn't directly impact me in my day to day life. However, the massive amount of money that it would likely cost (which seems to rise every month) could be used to update the rail network across the WHOLE of the UK, rather than just the south. Let's be honest, the UK rail network, it's managment, it's operation and it's maintenance is an absoulte shambles. One trip to mainland Eurpoe will highlight jsut how poor it is. Surely tackling this would be a better use of funds and time/effort etc? Similarly, it looks like it could have a devastating impact on wildlife at a time of a national 'climate crisis' - not that you could tell there was a climate crisis as nothing is happening from the government to tackle it other than hot air (pun intended)....

I'm from the frame of mind that LOTS of smaller projects across the entire transport network would likely have a much wider cumulative impact on the everyday people across the entire UK. As such, the estimated £100B (an insane number when you think about it, no?) could be much better spent to benefit EVERYONE.

However, it won't happen as some politicians like their vanity projects. So I expect to see it go ahead. But I would love to hear it isn't and the money that WAS going to be used for it was getting equally allocated across the UK to focus on transport improvements.
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme, MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO, Enermax Supernova G6 850W, Lian LI Lancool 3, 2x QHD 27in Monitors. Denon AVR1700H & Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Sound
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB & Synology DS920+ 9TB
    Portable=Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Huawei M5 10" & HP Omen 15 laptop

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Quote Originally Posted by neonplanet40 View Post
    It's a no from me. ..... massive amount of money that it would likely cost (which seems to rise every month) could be used to update the rail network across the WHOLE of the UK, ..the UK rail network, it's managment, it's operation and it's maintenance is an absoulte shambles. One trip to mainland Eurpoe will highlight jsut how poor it is. ... But I would love to hear it isn't and the money that WAS going to be used for it was getting equally allocated across the UK to focus on transport improvements.
    utterly agree. 100%

Thanks
    • badass's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-m pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 850 EVO, 2TB WD Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon RX 580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG02-F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Del U2311, LG226WTQ
      • Internet:
      • 80/20 FTTC

No, NO, NO, NO and NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    NO.

It's the principle of opportunity cost.

You aunt gives you £100 for your birthday. You can either go out for a slap-up meal, or buy a new computer widget.

The opportunity cost is that is you do one, you can't do the other.

How much more true that is of spending £106 billion quid.

I'm a "no" because of opportunity cost.

I have no problem with spending £106bn (*) provided

a) we get best bang for bucks, AND
    b) we get it impacting in the right places.

Those right places are, essentially, not-London. Probably not-SouthEast either.

There is, however, a danger of saying "spend it in the North", including that "the North" is not one homogenous, equal blob. Not all cities are equal, there are disparities between city and town, and even bigger disparities between city/town, and rural communities.

For instance, a rural community might really need a local hi-speed broadband hub, or a community post office, or better public transport links from country to tiwn/city (or all three), or .... you get the picture. Also, one local community might need that BB link, the next one a post office and yet anothdf, better local bus/rail.

Who's best equipped to decide local needs? Hint - it ain't some muppet in Whitehall. Or Downing Street.

I'm in favour of investing in the North (and other disadvantaged areas), but the real question is what gives the best bsng for buck, either in returns in jobs, etc, or in acdressing necessary social needs.

(*) SO ..... £106bn eh?

First it was £30bn-ish, then (IIRC) £58bn, then around £80bn, now £106bn.

Anyone got any faith it'll even come in at that? Final bill?

Anyone?

Hello? ..... lloooo, lloo, oo.

Thought not.
    Totally and completely agree with all of that apart from the bit in bold. I suspect that it's likely that the money will be most effectively spent in various parts of the country including bits of London and the south east.
    "In a perfect world... spammers would get caught, go to jail, and share a cell with many men who have enlarged their penises, taken Viagra and are looking for a new relationship."

Thanks
    • badass's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-m pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 850 EVO, 2TB WD Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon RX 580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG02-F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Del U2311, LG226WTQ
      • Internet:
      • 80/20 FTTC

Quote Originally Posted by neonplanet40 View Post
    It's a no from me. It would never reach Scotland anyway so wouldn't directly impact me in my day to day life. However, the massive amount of money that it would likely cost (which seems to rise every month) could be used to update the rail network across the WHOLE of the UK, rather than just the south. Let's be honest, the UK rail network, it's managment, it's operation and it's maintenance is an absoulte shambles. One trip to mainland Eurpoe will highlight jsut how poor it is. Surely tackling this would be a better use of funds and time/effort etc? Similarly, it looks like it could have a devastating impact on wildlife at a time of a national 'climate crisis' - not that you could tell there was a climate crisis as nothing is happening from the government to tackle it other than hot air (pun intended)....

I'm from the frame of mind that LOTS of smaller projects across the entire transport network would likely have a much wider cumulative impact on the everyday people across the entire UK. As such, the estimated £100B (an insane number when you think about it, no?) could be much better spent to benefit EVERYONE.

However, it won't happen as some politicians like their vanity projects. So I expect to see it go ahead. But I would love to hear it isn't and the money that WAS going to be used for it was getting equally allocated across the UK to focus on transport improvements.
    My gut feeling is that a large chunk of it would be best spent removing/replacing the huge number of different signalling systems across the UK network with something vastly more modern (on the condition of the complete removal of the huge number of older systems of course. Any leftovers could be spent increasing the gauge (note not track gauge, UK and Europe are the same there) in targeted areas so we can use European trains in select parts of the network, saving money when buying new trains.
    "In a perfect world... spammers would get caught, go to jail, and share a cell with many men who have enlarged their penises, taken Viagra and are looking for a new relationship."

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    might add a few to this (all of which are tourist based)
    All those come under scenery or outdoor pursuits, really.
    About the only thing that don't is Bodmin Jail.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

No. It doesn't stack up IMO. But look at how much overseas interest is involved and then, I'm told, you'll see why they are reluctant to cancel it. It was put to me that a certain (overseas) nation has a big stake in it and it was passed to appease them. Interesting if that is true.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    No. It doesn't stack up IMO. But look at how much overseas interest is involved and then, I'm told, you'll see why they are reluctant to cancel it. It was put to me that a certain (overseas) nation has a big stake in it and it was passed to appease them. Interesting if that is true.
    thats exctly it...the question is....what do we owe China?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information