Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gym/food advice!

Thanks

Gym/food advice!

Gym/food advice!

Hi guys, just started going to the gym a few times a week and I was just wondering about food and drink, what sort of food is good to have before and after I go, I do want to get the most out of my time there, I do 10 mins running to warm me up and then upperbody weights and exercises as that’s what I’m working in on.

Any advice on the food would be good

Thanks
    Not much, avoid the rubbish (Crisps, chocolate, greasy fry's)

Also avoid eating before you go. Unless you want to fart/be in pain through stiches.

Lots of fruit (Pineapply, mango, pomello) afterwards is good as they contain lots of water and are healthy.

Thanks
    If you're wanting to lose weight then you can work out in the morning without having eaten everything; that way, your body has to burn off fat reserves for fuel. The workout could be a bit gruelling though. If you're just there to get fit/build muscle then eat some starchy carbohydrate like pasta, bread or potatoes a couple of hours before you go, this will fuel you up. After the workout eat some more starch and plenty of protein which your body needs to rebuild the muscles you have worked.

Sorry if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs here, but if you're going 'a few times a week', make sure you allow 48 hours between workouts to allow your muscles to recover. Also, don't just do upper body work, the 'large torso and spindly legs' look is not a good one.

Rich :¬)

Thanks
    a good bit of protein and lots of meals in the day should help you put on wieght too. lots of chicken and other meats expensive i know, but it's the only real way to gain muscle weight if that's what you want. and push those weights till it hurts, small reps of big weights. opposite to lose weight, large reps of light weights hope that helps

On a Tactical Vessel in search of an Invisible Submarine
    Thanks
    mm avoid soft drinks too much sugar and other crap, but make sure you dont get dehydrated .(i.e drink water)

Thanks
    • Theo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Wifi deluxe
      • CPU:
      • E6600 @ 3150Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB OCZ 6400
      • Storage:
      • 1x80GB Maxtor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 640MB 8800GT
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS M221u
      • Internet:
      • Be Value
    Do more than 10 minutes cardiowork, too. 10 mins jogging, 10 mins cycling and 10 mins rowing will do you alot more good than just a 10 minute warm up.

Increase to 20 minutes each as your fitness improves.

Banned
    Thanks
    Eat loads of egg and tuna, then do sit-ups and pull-ups until it hurts. As mentioned, don't do loads of light weights, you want short, intense heavy reps.

Thanks
    • mark22's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock Z68 extreme4
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500k @4.6GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB GSkill PC16000
      • Storage:
      • Crucial C300
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus 6950 oc
      • PSU:
      • Antec truepower
      • Case:
      • Antec 902
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq 24" LED
    I always try to have for or five egg whites (maybe a couple of yokes) as soon as possible after a workout to give the muscles all the protein they need to grow. Plus tuna sarnies for lunch, lots of chicken and of course still some carbohydrates like pasta or noodles or potatoes with dinner to give you the energy you need to do the workout.

And creatine if you want an extra kick.

Homestarr Mod
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rave
    If you're wanting to lose weight then you can work out in the morning without having eaten everything; that way, your body has to burn off fat reserves for fuel.

Rich :¬)
    I read the opposite to that, as if you dont eat in the morning your body doesent actually burn fat it burns off muscle first.

''The basic principle is that anyone who has eaten an evening meal at about 7 p.m., spent the evening doing various things and then slept for seven or more hours, will probably have fasted for 11 to 12 hours by the time he or she gets up in the morning. After such a prolonged fast your blood glucose levels are very low, which will in turn influence how much exercise you can do, which areas you get your energy, how well your brain works and how tired you will feel for the rest of the day. It is, therefore, essential that everyone should eat something on awakening to boost blood sugar levels.
    Last edited by 5cupa; 23-03-2005 at 06:51 PM.

Thanks
    Learn to love the ergo. It can make you fit as a fiddle but won't do much for looking 'buff'.

Thanks
    thanks guys! i love you all!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 5cupa
    I read the opposite to that, as if you dont eat in the morning your body doesent actually burn fat it burns off muscle first.
    I frequently miss breakfast, and in general I don't eat a great deal. I run, often very hard, to the station every morning before breakfast. All the muscle I put on in my teens is still present at the age of 25, so I can safely say this doesn't apply to me.

Thanks
    Actually, can I ask what you're trying to achieve? If you simply want to look buff, then a low number of reps at about 80% of maximum will indeed build the maximum amount of muscle in the shortest time. If you want to build some genuine power though, you're best off mixing up your workouts. Doing 12-15 reps as fast as you can at about 60% will give you more actual strength. If you compare bodybuilders to Olympic weightlifters, the bodybuilders look much more buff, but the weightlifters can lift a lot more.

This is a subject that interests me a lot, because when I can be bothered to work out (usually the months between March and May when I'm bothered about what I'll look like with my shirt off in the summer), I'm split about 50/50 between wanting to look good, and wanting to be genuinely hard.

Homestarr Mod
    Thanks
    I would say the most important thing is hydration and sensible eating. remember to drink just water as if you add squash etc your body doesn't absorbed it in the same way as it thinks it is a meal. but yes good carbs and protein for muscle repair and growth a few hours before wont hurt.

theres also reports that drinking high caffeine drinks 20 mins before a session will allow you between 2-4 extra reps. personnaly I dont like this idea, just remember that caffeine is diuretic so keep your fluid intake small and often

I've left
    Thanks
    I have the same query, I prefer to eat before I go to the gym (around 6:30-go to gym around 8) because I think I put on more weight if i get back and eat at 9:30.

Sometimes I do go at 6 and come back and eat at 8 but then I have no energy for working out.

I need someone to educate me on gyming and diet as I have many a mixed message about whats the best way to do things.
    There's a thin person in every fat person.....that's because they just ate them.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rave
    This is a subject that interests me a lot, because when I can be bothered to work out (usually the months between March and May when I'm bothered about what I'll look like with my shirt off in the summer), I'm split about 50/50 between wanting to look good, and wanting to be genuinely hard.
    I'd avoid trying to be genuinely hard Rave, as I've seen people who are genuinely hard, and really, its got less to do with their body tone, and more to do with the fact that they are nutters.

I'd stick to buff to impress the missus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information