Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post-lockdown - will you go back to "normal"?

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Re: Post-lockdown - will you go back to "normal"?

You couldn't pay me enough to get me on one. I said before covid and even more so this side of it!

2. Received thanks from:

sammyc (04-05-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    You couldn't pay me enough to get me on one. I said before covid and even more so this side of it!
    For me it would depend on the Cruise, and the willingness to keep me in the manner in which I wish to be accustomed.

I'd do Southampton to NY on the QM2 for the experience, if someone else were paying 4000GBP for an appropriate suite. But I wouldn't want to be shunted around the Caribbean on a cattle barge.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • AnotherDave's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Prime Z370-A
      • CPU:
      • i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 4x 8GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB Crucial MX500, 250GB Crucial BX100, 3TB WD Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1070 Ti
      • PSU:
      • XFX XTR 650W
      • Case:
      • AeroCool DS200 (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC U3477PQU 34" 21:9

I've certainly got a tighter grip on my finances since this all kicked off so I'll be taking that into the re-opened world. Having to think about day-to-day exercise is the other major thing for me. The physical and mental benefits of just going for a walk with my partner are significant, especially as we're fortunate enough to live close to some nice rural areas. We'll be trying to keep that as a normal after the lockdown lifts.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Personally I don't think I will change anything unless forced into it - I don't see the need....

I will keep spending as I am today, i'll keep going on holidays, keep travelling, keep avoiding public transport where possible, keep eating out, going to the pub etc. Whilst I may have more freedom to work from home, I much prefer going into the office.

Cov-19 has had a huge (short term) impact, and I am very likely to lose a family member through it (my gran is 89 and is sadly a confirmed case), which is horrible....but ultimately unless the health advice necessitates a change, I won't be making them.

All that said I recognise that I am one of the lucky ones - I have a stable job in IT with a company that sells cost-down software (which thrives in a recession) so i've seen no negative effect on finances (the opposite really, given that I am spending less on travel/food etc) so other than being stuck at home and away from my family & girlfriend, it's not been a major issue for me personally. If I had lost my job/hours/salary and was really struggling as so many are, I think my answer would be very different.

Cov-19 is showing up some major social divides, which is really sad. They were all there before, but it's really shown the cracks imo...

Maybe the biggest change I will make is to get myself an ultrawide for the office. Thats been the only major positive about working at home!

Thanks
    • Hoonigan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570 ACE
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2x 2TB Gigabyte NVMe 4.0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3070Ti Gaming Pro
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 750W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Crystal Series 680X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P + ASUS ROG PG279Q
      • Internet:
      • Giganet (City Fibre) 900/900

Very little has changed for us to be honest. I've witnessed several neighbours having family members or boyfriends/girlfriends around on a regular basis, people talking in the streets, shops are busy, B&Q is rammed, all that'll change for me is a far stronger dislike for the public in general.

7. Received thanks from:

sammyc (05-05-2020)

Thanks

I work from home anyway; what will change is that i won't have my wife and son floating around distracting me every 5 minutes.
    i imagine i'll be attending far fewer on site meetings and travelling to the office even less.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • AnotherDave's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Prime Z370-A
      • CPU:
      • i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 4x 8GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB Crucial MX500, 250GB Crucial BX100, 3TB WD Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1070 Ti
      • PSU:
      • XFX XTR 650W
      • Case:
      • AeroCool DS200 (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC U3477PQU 34" 21:9

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    Maybe the biggest change I will make is to get myself an ultrawide for the office. Thats been the only major positive about working at home!
    Hah, that's one thing that'll change for me once this is over. I usually work from home on a 34" ultrawide but I'm in lockdown at my partner's place and stuck on a 15.6" laptop. It'll be so good to be back sat in front of that again. That's probably the thing I miss the most at this point, along with be able to work.

Thanks

Personally I don't think I will change anything unless forced into it - I don't see the need....

I will keep spending as I am today, i'll keep going on holidays, keep travelling, keep avoiding public transport where possible, keep eating out, going to the pub etc. Whilst I may have more freedom to work from home, I much prefer going into the office.
    The concern of passing it on to someone else is going to put a crimp in wanting to be in public spaces for the foreseeable, alongside the obvious disinclination to take the risk of picking it up myself (we may well 'all have to go sometime', but there are ways I'm prepared to go & ways I'm not prepared to go, and this is not one of the former). Sorry to hear about your grandmother

Quote Originally Posted by Hoonigan View Post
    Very little has changed for us to be honest. I've witnessed several neighbours having family members or boyfriends/girlfriends around on a regular basis, people talking in the streets, shops are busy, B&Q is rammed, all that'll change for me is a far stronger dislike for the public in general.
    What he said. Another good reason to go a bit Howard Hughes tbh.
    Aliorum vitia turbaverunt me

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
    The concern of passing it on to someone else is going to put a crimp in wanting to be in public spaces for the foreseeable, alongside the obvious disinclination to take the risk of picking it up myself (we may well 'all have to go sometime', but there are ways I'm prepared to go & ways I'm not prepared to go, and this is not one of the former). Sorry to hear about your grandmother
    Thanks - hopefully she will pull through, never know!

I agree on the risk of passing it on - I am making the (possibly invalid!) assumption that we, or at least *I* would stay in lockdown until the risk has reduced sufficiently so that its equivalent to any other similar virus. I expect that to be a long way off...and I do worry that the government is going to lift the lockdown far too early - they have been idiotic this and last week already by implying that it will be lifted shortly and that they will announce plans soon....its sending completely the wrong message.

If the public could behave and have common sense, it would be different - but whatever the spin says, the public has not listened, there are still people making constant trips out of the house for non essential reasons and the streets are far too busy at the moment. A tiny fine isn't enough - they should be a LOT tougher on the selfish prats who ignore the rules and advice. I think they would be better off with pushing those idiots into unpaid work caring for the sick & elderly - that would be a much better incentive than the threat of a tiny fine (that is rarely applied anyway)

Thanks

..I am making the (possibly invalid!) assumption that we, or at least *I* would stay in lockdown until the risk has reduced sufficiently so that its equivalent to any other similar virus. I expect that to be a long way off...and I do worry that the government is going to lift the lockdown far too early - they have been idiotic this and last week already by implying that it will be lifted shortly and that they will announce plans soon....its sending completely the wrong message..
    I get where you're coming from, I think the knowledge that this is potentially a nastier thing for me to pass on than the flu, will tip the dial from 'worth the moderate risk' towards 'will put a dampener on what I'm doing'. But I'm someone that looks over my shoulder during winter/crowds/flu season anyway.

The lockdown is not affecting me profoundly, obviously I can see why others will be struggling with it, but as you say it is not these people that are breaking cover, it's the selfish & the dimwits. I don't get why anyone with every hope of going back to a decent/fortunate life after this* can't hack it.

*give or take that there is an afterwards.
    Last edited by sammyc; 05-05-2020 at 01:18 PM.
    Aliorum vitia turbaverunt me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information