• Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG27AQ G-Sync 165 Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200/20 FTTP

Question Warranty advice (Scan)

Hi all,

In October 2017 I bought an MSI Z370 mobo from Scan.co.uk. It was fine for 18 months or so, but then I started to get intermittent 3 long beeps at POST (though system would still POST and boot). Spent a lot of time during the months after that tweaking RAM settings, replacing my RAM etc. All to no avail.

The issues gradually got worse over time - the beeps would occur more often at startup, and sometimes POST would fail too (so no display output). The only thing I found from testing RAM settings was that it was fine at lower speeds (e.g. < 3000MHz). But that's not ideal when you have 3733MHz RAM.

In August 2019, within the 2-year warranty period, I RMA'd the board to Scan. They tested it and found no fault, probably either because it was only tested a few times, and/or at slower RAM speeds. Then they returned the board to me.

Since then, I've just lived with the issue as haven't had the time or money to buy a new mobo. It's slowly got worse though, even causing games to crash and BSOD's, so I decided last week enough was enough, and bought a new Asus Z390-P board. Transplanted all my existing RAM, CPU, GPU etc across to it, and the issues have totally disappeared.

I contacted Scan to explain the situation, and to point out that although the board is now out of warranty, I originally flagged this issue within the warranty period so feel I should be able to RMA it again. They replied today to say that too much time has elapsed, so they won't honour the warranty. This means I'm left with a £120 paperweight which I bought in good faith, through no fault of my own.

I'd be grateful for any advice from anyone with more knowledge of consumer law than me. Do I have a leg to stand on in the circumstances?

thanks
    Danny

Thanks

Re: Warranty advice (Scan)

I can give you the best advice I can.

Buy from Amazon
    Jon

3. Received thanks from:

dannyboy75 (15-05-2020),Kovoet (17-05-2020),neonplanet40 (15-05-2020)

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Not really. If it was fine when you bought it then you can't claim the product was faulty when you bought it (which you have up to six years to do if you can prove it). I suppose you might be able to get a quote from the manufacturer saying that the product should have lasted longer than 18 months without error, so to not do so would mean the product was faulty. A warranty period doesn't actually give any guarantee that the product won't develop a fault, it just says they'll cover the costs of repairing/replacing if it does do so.

So your only line of action I think is with the handling under your warranty claim. If the warranty conditions stipulate scan must be able to replicate it and they couldn't then that's probably that. If you have evidence that they didn't even try then perhaps that's another route, but that's unlikely.

Unfortunately you pay your money and take your choice.

5. Received thanks from:

dannyboy75 (15-05-2020)

Thanks

You can go through MSI direct without dealing with Scan.
    Not sure how good they are, as never had to use them. But, it's a good alternative to use the manufacturer for repairs under warranty if you've bought from Scan. As they, unfortunatly have a reputation for finding nothing wrong with faulty parts.

And, it's also where Amazon is taking the lead. The last 2 items i've returned to them for a refund, the money was payed the day i posted the return.

7. Received thanks from:

dannyboy75 (15-05-2020)

Fetchez la vache!
    Thanks
    • dannyboy75's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF Gaming B550 Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5800X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 500GB, Samsung 840 SSD 500Gb, WD 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 3080 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Falcon GameMax
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG27AQ G-Sync 165 Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200/20 FTTP

Thanks guys, can't really argue with any of the above. I'll definitely try MSI directly too, feels like a long shot but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I responded to Scan this morning saying their decision was disappointing to say the least. I know it's not mega-money, but I've spent over £600 with them in the last few years.

I also asked if they'd at least consider giving me a credit (to use with Scan) for the market value of the mobo, as a goodwill gesture. That was met with a very curt response.

So, whilst I'm sure they won't lose any sleep over it, Scan won't be getting another penny of my money. I try to support the small(er) guys rather than always going straight to Amazon, but honestly, what's the point when they treat their customers like this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Not really. If it was fine when you bought it then you can't claim the product was faulty when you bought it (which you have up to six years to do if you can prove it).
    On a general level, not relating to this thread that's either wrong, or a bit misleading depending on how you define "fine".

For that consumer law to apply, a problem has to be inherent at time of purchase, but not necessarily visible or obvious. Examples would be poor design, where something fails over time due to that design, or to the use of sub-standard components that work fine for a while, but fail earlier than they 'should'.

Really, the dividing line is between whether whatever failed is "inherent" or due to some action or event after purchase. Obviously, accidents or user-abuse are not covered Or rsther, generally not, unless a warranty (as opposed to consumer law) specifically include them which, while rare, does happen.

A slippery area is that many warranties limit the type of use a product can receive, often restricting it to personal/domestic, and excluding business use. Another is to restrict use to specified parametets i.e. manufacturer's stated speeds or throughputs. Start playing with clock speeds, voltages etc and you risk voiding wsrranty unless the board/chip was sold with overclocking as part of the feature set and facilities. Last time I looked, Intel CPUs had such a restriction and overclocking risked being classed as 'user abuse'.

Anyway, back on point, a product can appear to be fine when you buy it, but some fault that existed at that time may only become visible months or even years later.

I don't have a view on Scan/MSI attitude to warranty, but I buy TVs (etc) from John Lewis and not certain high street stores because of their warranty and attitude if you need to call on it. I gather Amazon are very good too but, until an order due to arrive today, haven't used them in years.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Kingston 3600 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1300W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 27" XG2703-GS
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jonj1611 View Post
    I can give you the best advice I can.

Buy from Amazon
    Good advice. I was burnt by Scan's after-sales 'service' years ago, & I haven't bought anything from them since. I can't say I like a lot of Amazon's business practices, but when it comes to warranty issues, there's no comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by AC81 View Post
    You can go through MSI direct without dealing with Scan.
    I RMA'd a graphics card to MSI a few years ago. I had to send it to the Netherlands (which wasn't cheap), and it took about a month in total to get the card back, but it was pretty painless.

11. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (16-05-2020)

Thanks

Me too, which is why I buy from Amazon now, had a CPU fail on me a couple of years ago, had the refund before I got to the post office
    Jon

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    For that consumer law to apply, a problem has to be inherent at time of purchase, but not necessarily visible or obvious. Examples would be poor design, where something fails over time due to that design, or to the use of sub-standard components that work fine for a while, but fail earlier than they 'should'.
    Indeed, see the rest of my post where I mention getting exactly that kind of evidence from the manufacturer about whether it should have lasted longer.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

To be fair to Scan, they have not really done anything wrong in this case and I think even Amazon would be unlikely to offer any help at this particular point.
    You RMA'd the board to them, and they tested & didn't find fault - but you didn't challenge them on that [enough] at the time/flag with MSI back then - so had I been the retailer i'd assume you are OK with the decision and close the case. It would be reasonable to allow a month after the RMA rejection to handle appeals etc, maybe 3 at most for a retailer with amazing CS.

Regardless of their testing processes etc, going back to them 6 months later and complaining again, with a product that is now out of warranty, feels unreasonable to me. If they had confirmed a fault back then that would be a different story of course.

Don't get my wrong, I sympathize as it must be really frustrating - but ultimately neither MSI or Scan have done anything wrong here.
    Sorry.

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    To be fair to Scan, they have not really done anything wrong in this case and I think even Amazon would be unlikely to offer any help at this particular point.
    You RMA'd the board to them, and they tested & didn't find fault - but you didn't challenge them on that [enough] at the time/flag with MSI back then - so had I been the retailer i'd assume you are OK with the decision and close the case. It would be reasonable to allow a month after the RMA rejection to handle appeals etc, maybe 3 at most for a retailer with amazing CS.

Regardless of their testing processes etc, going back to them 6 months later and complaining again, with a product that is now out of warranty, feels unreasonable to me. If they had confirmed a fault back then that would be a different story of course.

Don't get my wrong, I sympathize as it must be really frustrating - but ultimately neither MSI or Scan have done anything wrong here.
    Sorry.
    The problem with Scan is that they have a long history of testing items that customers feel are faulty, only to find 'no fault' (anyone who's been spent any time on the Hexus Forum will have read many, many posts from people who have experienced this). At that point it's basically the customers' word against theirs; they know that if customers want to challenge that decision, they will have to do so through the small claims court, and very few people are willing to go through such a headache in order to resolve the issue. I agree the OP should have pursued the issue with Scan after the motherboard was initially returned to them for testing, and probably should have taken it up with MSI afterwards. But that doesn't detract from the fact that Scan's attitude to 'customer service' stinks, to say the least.
    Last edited by MrJim; 17-05-2020 at 11:47 AM.

16. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (17-05-2020)

Thanks

Amazon would have sorted it, he reported it before the warranty was up, my CPU was 1 month before the end of its warranty and they refunded it.
    Jon

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jonj1611 View Post
    Amazon would have sorted it, he reported it before the warranty was up, my CPU was 1 month before the end of its warranty and they refunded it.
    Did Amazon give you a full refund? Scan also tend to offer only partial refunds on items that have been used for a period of time (again, I've read LOTS of posts on the Forum from people have experienced this). Whilst they may be justified in taking such a stance, ( I'm no expert in consumer law) Scan's attitude is usually simply one of 'take it or leave it'. They decide the amount that is offered as a refund, and the customer has little choice but to accept it.

Thanks

Full refund yes, they always do
    Jon

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by MrJim View Post
    The problem with Scan is that they have a long history of testing items that customers feel are faulty, only to find 'no fault' (anyone who's been spent any time on the Hexus Forum will have read many, many posts from people who have experienced this). At that point it's basically the customers' word against theirs; they know that if customers want to challenge that decision, they will have to do so through the small claims court, and very few people are willing to go through such a headache in order to resolve the issue. I agree the OP should have pursued the issue with Scan after the motherboard was initially returned to them for testing, and probably should have taken it up with MSI afterwards. But that doesn't detract from the fact that Scan's attitude to 'customer service' stinks, to say the least.
    That's the case with all of the major etailers though? I've personally never had a bad experience with scan, but had several with ebuyer and in particular those imbeciles over at OCUK meaning that i'll never purchase anything from either company ever again. Amazon don't test RMAs in most cases and "eat" the loss, so you don't see the same sort of issue there....but they are a general retailer rather than a specialist, and can afford to

Also worth noting that whilst Amazon are typically amazing, they are not always perfect either - they DO sometimes offer part refunds, or refurbed replacements, or simply refuse to help - all depends on the item, manufacturer, your account history and which agent you get through to. Their good reputation is well deserved, but they are not perfect.

Thanks

I must admit I have never ever had Amazon offer a part refund or a refurbed replacement or refuse to help, has that happened to you? I have returned a lot of things to Amazon and made some claims under warranty never had that happen
    Jon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information