Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music streaming services ...

Thanks

Music streaming services ...

As regulars will know, I'm new to this and currently experimenting.

Currently, I have Amazon unlimited on free trial for 3 months. It might just be coincidence based on what I've played, but the recording quality seems markedly better (through a 3rd Gen Echo) than the basic Music service with Prime. Currently, I have a Planxty selection playing (not available on the basic service).

And it made me wonder ... how much difference is there between Amazon Unlimited, Spotify, etc?

Given that the one-device Amazon Unlimited subscription (which is enough for me) is £3.99/month, are there any options that are better, both for quality and value for money? I'm sure some of you have tried multiple services over the years.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

Re: Music streaming services ...

I use Spotify Premium as it means I don't have any ads, lots of special offers around. Have found the quality very good even at 320kbps

I have used Tidal in the past with their highest quality offering and it was ok, 1411kbps! And their Master quality is higher still but limited songs compared to others and price point made it unattractive

However Amazon is 320kbps same as Spotify but Amazon HD is supposed to be up 850kbps, is that the one you have? And also Amazon UHD is supposed to be a lot higher again
    Jon

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Of all the services Tidal is the one that sells itself on higher quality and lossless encoding. No idea if they're the only ones who do it though, nor the size of their collection and if it will talk to an Echo. They do a 30 day trial though so worth a test drive I'd have thought: https://tidal.com/

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group DDR-3000 32Gig
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 870 Evo 500Gb SSD, 1 x WD Red 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT watercooled
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

Deezer & Tidal are better quality and if sign up via VPN & from a country like Argentina or Turkey you can get it for a significantly cheaper price e.g. £2:30/m. Eitherway both do free trials so check them out but also remember alot will depend on what you're playing it back through as to whether you can hear the difference, but of course I don't need to tell you that.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/rec...-tidal-3471894
    https://www.deezer.com/en/offers/hifi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    Of all the services Tidal is the one that sells itself on higher quality and lossless encoding. No idea if they're the only ones who do it though, nor the size of their collection and if it will talk to an Echo. They do a 30 day trial though so worth a test drive I'd have thought: https://tidal.com/
    Apparentally Tidal is 60 million tracks, obviously gone up since I first joined!
    Jon

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

My son, who complains about high pitched coil whines etc that many people can't hear so seems to be fairly sensitive to sounds quality, has settled on Spotify premium.

Compression has improved over the years, as my hearing has worsened. I suspect the intersect of where to me they all sound as good was some time ago

7. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (03-06-2020)

Thanks

@Jonj .... No, standard unlimited, not HD.

The context is playback (currently) through an Echo 3rd Gen. Which is .... okay. Audiophile it is not. One thing I have found, already, is that where you locate it is hugely important. I guess it's no surprise but (to me, anyway) it's best in relatively open space.

Location 1 was on a shelf, very close to a wall. Result = boomy, muffled bass drowning midrange and any vocal subtlety.

Location 1 but modified. Instead of sitting on a wooden shelf, put a couple of felt pads underneath. Result = marked improvement, but still boomy.

Location 1 with mod 2. Add a bit of cloth behind, between wall and Echo. Again, better, but still not great.

Location 2 ... on a window ledge, close to a window. Result = arghhh!!! Move off window ledge.

Location 3 = on a table, in relatively open space, still on felt pads. Result = .... okay. As I said, audiophile it is not, but then, it's really for background listening, often with a radio station on a chat show.

Oh, and at my age, my ears aren't what they were 40 years ago.

So that's my context. When seeking "quality", I'm really after "decent" but certainly not audiophile. I want clear, not muffled, and bass should be deep but capable of being tight, not just a boomy mess.

The limitations are, clearly, the Echo is no better than okay, and my ears are, well, same age as the rest of me. Sadly.

So I'm picky enough to play with different locations, and with felt pads, etc, but not picky enough to find the Echo unacceptable ... just about. I have a sneaky suspicion, having bought the Echo's, that auditioning Sonos, or B&W, etc, might be a mistake.

But if a recording is bad enough to make even an Echo sound bad .... well what can I say.

I guess really what I'm after is quality sufficiently high for the Echo, optimised in setup and location, for the Echo to be the weak link in the chain, not the recording. And that isn't really setting the bar that high, IMHO.

The problem is that sound quality is subjective, in the ears of the belistener.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

9. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (03-06-2020)

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

If you’re only playing back through an Echo then Spotify is more than good enough. By the way I have an echo & Sonos in the same room and I wouldn’t say the Sonos is significantly better. I think their perceived quality is vastly overrated for the price you pay, this is a Sonos 3 by the way.

11. Received thanks from:

Saracen999 (03-06-2020)

Thanks
    • matts-uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Apple iMac
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 3.4Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 12GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • RAID5 on the twin Xeon server I keep in the airing cupboard
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 7970M
      • Case:
      • A lurvely slimline, all in one aluminium number.
      • Operating System:
      • OSX, Centos, Windows.
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" LED (Apple), 24" LED (Apple), 2 x 20" TFT Dell
      • Internet:
      • ADSL rubbish

I'm another one on Spotify premium. Audio quality is good enough for casual and distracted listening and to not annoy me. The features that sold it are the choice of tracks and the convenience of Spotify Connect...And no adverts.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Qobuz is another higher quality streaming service. However,the problem with all of these services,is the cost. Unless you use some regional pricing trick or get a cheap special offer,they cost between £10~£20 a month. I don't see the point of spending £120~£240 a year on music I don't actually own. Over 5 years that is £600~£1200,over 10 years £1200 to £2400. The only music I would care about being "better quality" would be the kind of music you would be liable to own. It can be 1 billion tracks,but I doubt anyone will have even a few thousand tracks you really care enough about over your whole lifetime! I have been down the route of "better quality" audio formats such as SACD,and basic Red Book standard CD(despite it's technical flaws),is "good enough" and after that it's mostly down to the mastering from the original recordings.

Also you need to consider what kind of devices you intend to be streaming to - is it a £5000 Hifi setup or a £100 wireless speaker?? Unless you have some really decent setup,just get the cheapest option. The limitation will be the device,and the location/positioning of the device. Also AFAIK,most of these music streaming devices are mono anyway! As long as you can get 256KBPS~320KBPS quality you will be fine for casual listening.

Edit!!

The Amazon Music Unlimited standard subscription seems to be reasonably priced. I did try out it out and it was perfectly fine through a pair of Grados and a decentish headphone amplifier.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 03-06-2020 at 01:38 PM.

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Supernova G6 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" U2715H & Gigabyte M27Q
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe

So, I have a cheat...

I used holovpn to register a tidal account in argentina. Using a revolut card. I have the top hi-fi subscription and it costs £1.88 a month...

Just an idea if you want to try it out...

I should say that I have paid full price for ALL of the music streaming services. If I had to pick one:

It would be Spotify. It just works. Has few bugs and is great with a variety of devices etc. The downside is that it tops out at 320kbps music.

However, most people don't have equipment to notice the difference. If the bitrate is your focus, Tidal is the best. But it will cost you (unless you do the region trick).
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme, MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO, Enermax Supernova G6 850W, Lian LI Lancool 3, 2x QHD 27in Monitors. Denon AVR1700H & Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Sound
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB & Synology DS920+ 9TB
    Portable=Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Huawei M5 10" & HP Omen 15 laptop

15. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (03-06-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimborae View Post
    If you’re only playing back through an Echo then Spotify is more than good enough. By the way I have an echo & Sonos in the same room and I wouldn’t say the Sonos is significantly better. I think their perceived quality is vastly overrated for the price you pay, this is a Sonos 3 by the way.
    Interesting. Very interesting.

The Sonos 3 is the current one, about £200, IIRC, yes? The only Sonos I've heard, and even that only briefly, was older. Certainly pre-Alexa days, but about twice that price. I don't know the model.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Qobuz is another higher quality streaming service. However,the problem with all of these services,is the cost. Unless you use some regional pricing trick or get a cheap special offer,they cost between £10~£20 a month. I don't see the point of spending £120~£240 a year on music I don't actually own. Over 5 years that is £600~£1200,over 10 years £1200 to £2400. The only music I would care about being "better quality" would be the kind of music you would be liable to own. It can be 1 billion tracks,but I doubt anyone will have even a few thousand tracks you really care enough about over your whole lifetime! I have been down the route of "better quality" audio formats such as SACD,and basic Red Book standard CD(despite it's technical flaws),is "good enough" and after that it's mostly down to the mastering from the original recordings.

Also you need to consider what kind of devices you intend to be streaming to - is it a £5000 Hifi setup or a £100 wireless speaker?? Unless you have some really decent setup,just get the cheapest option. The limitation will be the device,and the location/positioning of the device. Also AFAIK,most of these music streaming devices are mono anyway! As long as you can get 256KBPS~320KBPS quality you will be fine for casual listening.

Edit!!

The Amazon Music Unlimited standard subscription seems to be reasonably priced. I did try out it out and it was perfectly fine through a pair of Grados and a decentish headphone amplifier.
    I think standard Amazon Unlimited is £8/month, -ish.

There's a personal version, limited to one device, at £3.99/month. Fifty quid a year for effectively unlimited choice, and convenience, seems pretty good. Maybe even Good enough to not bother digitising all my old LPs. And then C90's of friends LP's that I liked enough to tape but was too tight to buy.

18. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (03-06-2020),Jonj1611 (03-06-2020)

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    Interesting. Very interesting.

The Sonos 3 is the current one, about £200, IIRC, yes? The only Sonos I've heard, and even that only briefly, was older. Certainly pre-Alexa days, but about twice that price. I don't know the model.
    Sorry yes it's a Sonos Play 3, which is although now recently discontinued is still available online for about £250. You probably heard the larger Sonos Play 5. Have to say I've never rated Sonos on their musical ability and I dont rate their soundbar home cinema set up either. It's purely all about convienience.

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Kingston 3600 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1300W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 27" XG2703-GS
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

I'm currently using a Bluesound Powernode 2i with a pair of Mission 7 series floor-standing speakers, using the Amazon HD service...quite an impressive sound on the whole. Having read Neonplanet40's post though, I might give that a go!

21. Received thanks from:

Saracen999 (03-06-2020)

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

That VPN & fee free card trick also works with other services. E.G. I pay £1:43/m for YouTube Premium albeit in Indian Rupees via my Revolut card.

It worth checking out as the savings can be substantial.

23. Received thanks from:

neonplanet40 (04-06-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information