Thread: David starkey goes on racist rant and gets sacked

Banned
    Thanks

David starkey goes on racist rant and gets sacked

https://metro.co.uk/2020/07/02/histo...ived-12935752/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53279273

The crazy thing is this guy with his horrific views has been in charge of many history curriculums over the decades. Is it a stretch that such people in charge of vital things could be the reason school kids aren't taught about our colonial past?

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Re: David starkey goes on racist rant and gets sacked

Like most things we need to make sure we look at the whole transcript in context and not just a snippet - though I must admit the headline and intro I did read does not sound good. It would not, however, be the first time a tabloid has chosen sensationalism over substance when it comes to reporting academic papers. Equally for the college to fire him (which is what I understand they have now done) means there might well be a problem even when taken in the wider context. I need more time to read about it than I currently have.

Going bigger picture, we do need be careful however that academic debate is not stifled or throttled. I'm not saying that applies directly in this particular instance, but in the broader sphere I mean. People need to be able to propose ideas and then others need to be able to critique those ideas. Even unpalatable ones need to dismissed by sound reason, not (simply) by emotion and outrage. Eg eugenics, or GM bio-babies, or whatever. We shouldn't fear taking down bad ideas by proper debate and reason otherwise we just become a mob led by whichever angry voice shouts loudest. I hope that isn't what's happened here, like I say I need to read up on it to comment further.

3. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (05-07-2020)

Banned
    Thanks

There is no sensationalism. The video interview is out there and is incredibly damning. Hate speech and misinformation should be censored, as for years we've seen they have a real world consequence for bame people.

https://twitter.com/Louis_Allday/sta...ed-12935752%2F

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by DK2019 View Post
    There is no sensationalism. The video interview is out there and is incredibly damning. Hate speech and misinformation should be censored, as for years we've seen they have a real world consequence for bame people.

https://twitter.com/Louis_Allday/sta...ed-12935752%2F
    Define hate speech and misinformation. It's not as easy as you think.

6. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (05-07-2020)

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Multiple HDD and SSD drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

Quote Originally Posted by DK2019 View Post
    Hate speech and misinformation should be censored, as for years we've seen they have a real world consequence for bame people.
    No, I disagree. Censoring doesn't help explain why it is "wrong", calling it out and framing it correctly is much better.

If you hide things you don't agree with, who decides what is "wrong" or "right"? You end up with a one sided biased view of things.

8. Received thanks from:

ik9000 (05-07-2020)

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

FYI the OP has been banned due to being rather obnoxious in another thread so you might not get a response for a while, if at all. Ironic that someone saying hate speech should be banned goes and has no qualms about posting bitter, nasty, personal attacks in another thread sufficient to get themselves banned, but there you go!

10. Received thanks from:

g8ina (10-07-2020)

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    FYI the OP has been banned due to being rather obnoxious in another thread so you might not get a response for a while, if at all. Ironic that someone saying hate speech should be banned goes and has no qualms about posting bitter, nasty, personal attacks in another thread sufficient to get themselves banned, but there you go!
    I had this. Someone on a Facebook thread used the word "retard" and was immediately set upon saying he should be banned from using the word. I said that, although I thought what he has said wasn't exactly nice, banning him from being offensive was absolutely wrong.

The torrent of abuse was immense. I got people saying how offensive he was to them personally and saying how I was supporting his use of the word, intermixed with every offensive swear word you can imagine. They were quite happy to use horrific language, offensive to many people, to condemn the use of a word they found offensive.

I wasn't bothered, but found it incredibly interesting, especially as I said he should face a social, not criminal consequence for his speech. They made the same point, as if it were their own, and said I should face a social consequence for supporting him. I was supporting only his right to speak.

It's maddening. I think what Starkey said was a poorly chosen expression of his views (or in this case, facts). He speaks like that a lot when he's deriding an idea and his point was that genocide and slavery are two different things. I think he's so used to being slandered for what he says, he just gives up filtering himself as he can't figure out what is and isn't going to get him in trouble.

If you examine this in the context of any of his speeches, lectures or TV appearances then it is the same kind of attitude to whatever point he is attempting to bring down whether it is about race or something else. But, taken in isolation, it sounds really, really bad and I do feel as though there was a tone in use that really did not sit well with me.

BUT, you can't destroy a man for his tone....

....oh, wait. We can. And they do.

His point (that genocide and slavery are two distinct things and you can't just merge them together, especially as knowing how to manage the downstream effects of something means you really have to know what the cause was in a very specific way) is totally valid and doesn't detract from the underlying horror, just categorises it for management and for history. The way he put it across was plain silly and more than a little tone deaf, especially now.

The man has a lot of very useful things to say, be they right or wrong from any given perspective, and so I hope he isn't permanently cancelled. He creates discussion and usually at a very high level. That is worth something. It is unfortunately easier to silence someone like him rather than contend with him these days. Discussion and nuanced debate is out of the window.

As someone who immerses himself in both sides of an argument, I get hate from both sides. Very rarely is there genuine support aside from partisans who would support anyone who happens to be saying something they agree with. I will listen to anyone, be they homophobic, black supremacist, racist, left, right, commie, nazi, pro or anti abortion or whatever.

Becuase 1) if you don't listen to someone and validate their right to a perspective, you will never change their minds. 2) They may have something to teach you, just because you disagree with their overall opinon doesn't mean they don't have something worth sharing. 3) By learning the arguments of the other side, you learn how to debate them. If you don't even bother to listen to the reasons whey they hold the view that they do, how do you expect to put a challenge to that view which is well researched and considered?

This is why it was so utterly stupid to have a go at the guy who (was he a minister?) had a book by a holocaust denier on the shelf. If that person has written a whole book on the subject, they are likely to have well researched and well reasoned arguments. How do you expect to defeat them if you have never even heard of them before?

To quote a Hitchslap:

"Sir, you strike me as being in the unfortunate position of having never read any of the arguments against your position".

Today, the very idea of researching ideas which aren't part of the "off the shelf morality" (Starkey quote) is verboten. In this state, a society can only stand still or regress. It will never progress either morally or intellectually as no one is permitted to think or speak outside of the established status quo and to do so is to, at best, end your career.

*ducks*

12. Received thanks from:

cheesemp (31-07-2020),hb904460 (11-07-2020),ik9000 (05-07-2020),Phage (14-07-2020)

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Exactly. One has to unpick their arguments and show them to be wrong, but to do so requires one to understand what their arguments are to start with. Censorship is not the answer.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

A follow up:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53308061

He apologised,and as a historian he should know better on how to phrase things!

Thanks

It's very obvious, in context, that this was the intent of what he was saying. But the present climate means that every word has to be very carefully stated, as context is, apparently, very easily ignored these days. If he wants to speak on a show about Black Lives Matter, he can't afford to be so tone deaf.

Registered+
    Thanks

and here we go again woke and cancel culture strikes again
    people lost their minds because they simply live in rich 1st world cuntries and have too much money/free time, I suggest send some of them to live in africa, maybe then they will appreciate what they got.
    Last edited by g8ina; 14-07-2020 at 01:49 PM. Reason: veiled swearing

Thread Information