Thread: Lost Camcorder, But No Receipt! Will the insurance Co. Pay out?

Thanks
    • wannabgeek's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M4A89GTD-Pro-USB3
      • CPU:
      • AMD x6 1055T Phenom @3.3ghz with Hyper 212+ HSF
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS3 (2x2GB) since upgraded to Corsair DD3 XMS3 8gb (2x 4gb) CMX8GX3M2A1600C9
      • Storage:
      • OCZ 120GB SSD / 250GB Samsung Spinpoint Sata H / 200GB Maxtor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor HD 6850 1GB GDDR5
      • PSU:
      • Tx 650w Corsair PSU
      • Case:
      • Lancool K62
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 Ultimate (the cheapest)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 19"
      • Internet:
      • Firefox & 20MB Sky max

Lost Camcorder, But No Receipt! Will the insurance Co. Pay out?

Hi!
    I don't know if i am in the right forum,please say if not!
    On Easter Sunday we all went Motor racing to see a freind race and after a long tireing day some how managed to lose my camera bag with my 3 mth old Fuji Digital Camera and my 1 year old Sony Camcorder + accessories (£1300)
    Luckily enough we have Insurance to cover items outside the home! Now here's the part that is worrying me! When i phoned "Legal & General" i explained what happened and was asked if i had all receipts for the lost items, i told him i would look upstairs to see if i can find them but i'm not too sure i have them, as i buy so many electrical items and mislay the receipts,but will look anyway and that i would ring him back Monday. Now i do have receipts for the Fuji, but i do not have any for the Sony or the accessories, as i got a friend "in the Army" who went to Singapore last year,and got him to bring it back the Camorder through the Duty Free,but to avoid the import Tax what he did was threw away the box and put the camcorder around his neck. So i obviosly do not have a receipt for it! Now i have looked in the Insurance Policy and it does'nt mention receipts "but i suppose its obvious really to keep em"! So should i tell the truth about singapore or just say i mislaid receipt! But won't they want the shops name where i brought it to check there records at the purcase time? Also has anybody made a claim before and if so what was the protocol?
    Many thanks in advance steve
    Ps sorry for long post!
    Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    AMD x6 1055T Phenom @3.3ghz
    Asus M4A89GTD-Pro-USB3
    HD 6850 1GB GDDR5
    4GB Corsair XMS3 (2x2GB)
    Tx 650w Corsair PSU
    250GB Samsung Spinpoint Sata HD
    200GB Maxtor Dmax10 IDE
    LG Sata2 DVD/RW
    Lancool K62 Case

Thanks
    credit card statements could work?

MD
    Thanks
    • MD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-M PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 - i3570k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 256GB SSD's (Samsung and Crucial)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVidia 640
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 600W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08e MATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell Flat Panel
      • Internet:
      • 60mb Virgin Media
    I edited out the caps in your thread title and typed it normally, I think you just mad a mistake when you typed it.

Ref the camcorder, the insurance company may state, go out and buy another one and then they will credit you back what you paid, this is what they advised me to do when I could not find the reciept.

They do this to stop people claiming for things, you have to appreciate why they are asking for it, I know when I had to claim many moons ago I moaned and moaned and eventually they agreed the claim.

m@
    Please do not message me about Scan Free shipping, I no longer work for HEXUS.net

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    If you tell them about singapore then you'll end up paying all the tax you owe, because much like elephants.....customs and excise blokes never forget.

Thanks
    • wannabgeek's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M4A89GTD-Pro-USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS3 (2x2GB) since upgraded to Corsair DD3 XMS3 8gb (2x 4gb) CMX8GX3M2A1600C9
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Tx 650w Corsair PSU
      • Case:
      • Lancool K62
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 19"
      • Internet:
      • Firefox & 20MB Sky max
    Re Matt D! I edited out the caps in your thread title and typed it normally, I think you just mad a mistake when you typed it.

the insurance company may state, go out and buy another one and then they will credit you back what you paid, this is what they advised me to do when I could not find the reciept.

....If you look in my profile your see why the spelling mistakes sometimes! ..But Cheers anyway!
    Re Camcorder: I hope thats still the case now as i definately will buy the same Model as its the Best Camcorder in that price Bracket!
    ....And true about Elephants! I will keep "Stum"!
    Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Asus M4A89GTD-Pro-USB3
    HD 6850 1GB GDDR5
    4GB Corsair XMS3 (2x2GB)
    Tx 650w Corsair PSU
    200GB Maxtor Dmax10 IDE
    LG Sata2 DVD/RW
    Lancool K62 Case

MD
    Thanks
    • MD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-M PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 - i3570k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 256GB SSD's (Samsung and Crucial)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVidia 640
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 600W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08e MATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell Flat Panel
      • Internet:
      • 60mb Virgin Media
    wannabgeek, Sorry, I would not have considered looking in your profile, you did spell it all correctly, its just you hit your Caps lock as you typed, hence I changed it for you.... its not a problem, ill remember for next time though

They should still do it with the camcorder, ask them, but be careful what you say cos otherwise it will just look like you are trying to get a free camcorder out of them, put the onous on them, ask them, becuase you can't find the reciept for it, what are my alternatives....

m@
    Please do not message me about Scan Free shipping, I no longer work for HEXUS.net

Thanks
    • wannabgeek's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M4A89GTD-Pro-USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Tx 650w Corsair PSU
      • Case:
      • Lancool K62
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 19"
      • Internet:
      • Firefox & 20MB Sky max
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt D
    wannabgeek, Sorry, I would not have considered looking in your profile, you did spell it all correctly, its just you hit your Caps lock as you typed, hence I changed it for you.... its not a problem, ill remember for next time though

They should still do it with the camcorder, ask them, but be careful what you say cos otherwise it will just look like you are trying to get a free camcorder out of them, put the onous on them, ask them, becuase you can't find the reciept for it, what are my alternatives....

m@

No probs Matt!
    I did say what if i can't find receipt! He said ..All they need is the shop and the rough date of purchase so they can trace the shops records back! I should of said something then really! Now i'm afraid it looks like i am coming back with a different awnser each time! I would of thought the only time a receipt is needed was if you had to take out an individual Insurance for a item that cost... say over a Grand! They must have price line for that,or is it they need a receipt for everything that you claim! Should'nt of thought so!

Edit; Also what i cannot understand is even though i told him i may not have all receipts,he said JESSOPS would get in touch with me monday to see about replacement items! Surely they would'nt pay out before they have all the relevant receipts! Or would they? I was hoping this post would be read by someone in a simular situation!
    Last edited by wannabgeek; 02-04-2005 at 06:52 PM.
    Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Asus M4A89GTD-Pro-USB3
    HD 6850 1GB GDDR5
    4GB Corsair XMS3 (2x2GB)
    Tx 650w Corsair PSU
    200GB Maxtor Dmax10 IDE
    LG Sata2 DVD/RW
    Lancool K62 Case

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabgeek
    .... Edit; Also what i cannot understand is even though i told him i may not have all receipts,he said JESSOPS would get in touch with me monday to see about replacement items! Surely they would'nt pay out before they have all the relevant receipts! Or would they? I was hoping this post would be read by someone in a simular situation!
    The reason he said Jessops, I would guess, is that in this situation, they'll probably replace the actual items, either with the same model or the current equivalent, rather than sending money. In fact, insurance companies are increasingly doing this. There's a couple of reasons. Firstly, they feel it cuts down on fraud because people prefer money. Secondly, it cuts down on their costs, as they have arrangements with suppliers over cost, rather than paying full retail for everything. And, if replacing with an equivalent model, they'll probably rely on Jessops for advice (or even a decision) as to what an equivalent is.

My (limited) experience with this is that you don't need to produce receipts, though it certainly helps. I had a load of camera gear nicked when my car was stolen some years ago. The insurance company sent a loss adjuster round to see me. We chatted for a while, I produced the receipts for the items I had, but didn't have them all. Some of the gear had been bought in the UK, but a fair bit in the US. Thay paid out for everything, with the only deduction they made being a "wear and tear" reduction for lost clothing (we'd been away for a long weekend and had suitcases, etc in the car too).

My inference was that the loss adjuster was there to assess me as much as anything, and he obviously decided the claim was legit .... which it was.

Thanks
    • wannabgeek's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M4A89GTD-Pro-USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Tx 650w Corsair PSU
      • Case:
      • Lancool K62
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 19"
      • Internet:
      • Firefox & 20MB Sky max
    Re saracen

..So did you tell him some of the items was purchased in the states, if so it obviously did not matter. Also did you give him a price for the stuff you lost and if so was it the cost you paid in $ or was it the £ RRP? Anyway i hope thats what they will do in my case, i can understand thats the way they deal with it,and why not!
    Last edited by wannabgeek; 03-04-2005 at 02:53 PM.
    Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Asus M4A89GTD-Pro-USB3
    HD 6850 1GB GDDR5
    4GB Corsair XMS3 (2x2GB)
    Tx 650w Corsair PSU
    200GB Maxtor Dmax10 IDE
    LG Sata2 DVD/RW
    Lancool K62 Case

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabgeek
    Re saracen

..So did you tell him some of the items was purchased in the states, if so it obviously did not matter. Also did you give him a price for the stuff you lost and if so was it the cost you paid in $ or was it the £ RRP? Anyway i hope thats what they will do in my case, i can understand thats the way they deal with it,and why not!
    Yes, I told him. I had the receipts for most of it, including most of the stuff from the US. Even for the stuff I didn't have reciepts for, I had the boxes though ... and the serial numbers.

The prices I gave were UK-based replacement prices. I bought in the US because my brother lives out there, and I visit a fair bit. But I needed the
    kit replacing here, not waiting 'til next time I went to the US. My insurance policy covered me 'new-for-old', and all-risk, so I was covered for the loss. If he'd offered US prices, I'd have said "fine, but add in the cost of flights and hotels for me to go out and get the replacements in the US again".

I suspect that whether you get goods, or cash, and what valuation gets put on your property, varies from one company to another, so I'd advise against relying too much on what happened to me as anything more than a guide. You may not get the same reaction from a different company, and I am going back about, oh, 10 years-ish.

I must say, I expected a bit of a battle over the items I didn't have receipts for (including a £600 lens), but he didn't bat an eyelid. I can only assume that he read the claim as genuine.

But insurance is supposed to leave you no better off, but no worse off, than you were before the incident that generated the loss. That's why the loss adjuster knocked some money off for "wear and tear" on the clothes .... because the clothes had had some use. Had they all been brand new, I could have (maybe would have) argued about that wear and tear charge, but it reduced a £3500 claim by about £80. It wasn't worth the hassle of arguing it, and was probably fair anyway.

If you bought goods in Singapore, and can't get back out there to replace them, then I'd argue that just refunding the Singaporean cost of the goods is not fair compensation, because it would well leave you out of pocket and unable to replace the goods, short of incurring the cost of going to Singapore (or the US in my case) to do it.

The thing is, legally speaking, insurance contracts are what is known as "uberimae fidei" ... which means "of utmost good faith". That means you have to tell the insurance company of anything they might find relevant when assessing your application and determining the premium. Obvious examples are
    declaring motoring convictions when getting car insurance, and previous health problems when getting travel or health insurance. If you don't declare something the insurer would have found relevant, even if you didn't think it relevant, you can find them refusing to pay up on claims because you withheld relevant information. That is the principle of 'uberimae fidei' in action.

But it cuts both ways. Just as you have to be fair with them, so they have to be fair with you. Losing a receipt (in my view) is dodgy grounds for rejecting a claim, though ensuring you keep receipts is obviously a sensible precaution, because it hepls avoids issues later on.

Also, don't assume you necessarily have to accept any offer the insurer makes. You can fight them. It's an offer, not necessarily carved in stone. If they decline to pay you, don't assume that's the end of it. You could rejectan unreasonable offer, and explain to them why you regards it as unreasonable. Ultimately, you could seek legal advice, or have a chat with a Citizen's Advice Bureau. You do, after all, have a contract with the insurer and they can be held to it by a court.

Thanks
    • wannabgeek's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M4A89GTD-Pro-USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Tx 650w Corsair PSU
      • Case:
      • Lancool K62
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 19"
      • Internet:
      • Firefox & 20MB Sky max
    Re Saracen:
    Thanks for a excellent reply, you coul'dnt have explained it any better to me! As for "uberimae fidei" we are most definately of good character with no convictions and its not as if we have claimed for things in the past, i have heared of people doing Ins claims every time they go away and they still get paid out!
    Just thought of something,i do have some photo's which the wife took when i was filming my daughter and that clearly shows the camcorder i am holding! Maybe that will help them ! Cheers again Steve
    Last edited by wannabgeek; 03-04-2005 at 04:00 PM.
    Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Asus M4A89GTD-Pro-USB3
    HD 6850 1GB GDDR5
    4GB Corsair XMS3 (2x2GB)
    Tx 650w Corsair PSU
    200GB Maxtor Dmax10 IDE
    LG Sata2 DVD/RW
    Lancool K62 Case

Thread Information