Thread: "Data grab" of NHS GP patient records SOON

Thanks

"Data grab" of NHS GP patient records SOON

A thread was posted about this a few months ago, but the implementation was delayed, due mainly to pressure from medical professionals that patients were insufficiently aware of what was about to happen.

The implementation was delayed until Sept 1st. However that is now approaching fast, and if you want to opt out, you need to do so before September, 1st.

If you don't opt out, your patient data (or a large chunk of it) will be "sucked out" of your GP records on or shortly after that date, and for at least the last 10 years. It will then be added to this central database "in near real time" until/unless you subsequently opt out. Also, once that initial 10-year "suck" occurs, you lose any ability to subsequently restrict use, apparently. A lter opt-out will prevent future sucking, but not affect anything already sucked.

The data "sucked" won't (it seems) include GP notes on conversations but will include
    information on patients' physical, mental and sexual health, including details of diagnoses, symptoms, test results, medication and immunisations.
    This information is for "planning and research" purposes, and can be disclosed to third parties, including university researchers, charities and private companies.

It will, we are assured, be anonymised (to some degree) but then, we are required to trust that that degree will not able to be de-anonymised later, by combining with other data sources.

It's no secret round here that I err firmly on the side of privacy, and even I can see that there are ways such data can be legitimately used for good purposes .... like Covid immunisation. Opting out could hve real-world consequences. But so could not opting out, given that you then apparently have zero say in how your data is later used.

I've tried to present this in a neutral way, and it is certainly a persona choice as to whether you want to run the potential risks to failitate the potential benefits. Personally, I don't, but what I do feel strongly about is that there is still apparently not much public awareness of this, and in order for us all to legitimately either give or withhold permission, we need to be aware it is about to happen.

Want to opt out? Do it SOON.

Don't want to, or don't care? Do nothing.
    Last edited by Saracen999; 06-08-2021 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Spotted a tpyo
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

2. Received thanks from:

jimbouk (06-08-2021),kompukare (06-08-2021),The Hand (09-08-2021),Ttaskmaster (06-08-2021)

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

Re: "Data grab" of NHS GP patient records SOON

4. Received thanks from:

jimbouk (06-08-2021),Jonj1611 (06-08-2021),Saracen999 (06-08-2021),The Hand (09-08-2021)

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

I had completely forgotten about this so thanks for the reminder.

Both me and Shelley have opted out as you just know that your data will end up in the wrong hands or with private companies eventually

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ferral View Post

Both me and Shelley have opted out as you just know that your data will end up in the wrong hands or with private companies eventually
    That's a big worry. What we do know, for sure, is that it at least might end up in the wrong hands. It also wouldn't be the first time data has been left in a cab, on a train, stuck into an envelope and posted, never to be seen again, and so on. That leads me to a question and a conclusion.

The conclusion is that they can't lose what they don't have. The question is whether it was really lost in the post, or sold and that used as a convenient cover? Either way, they can't either lose or sell it if they don't have it.

But as I understand the arrangements, those with a suitable 'reason' can request data, which will be supplied in anonymised or pseudu-anonymised form whch is at least potentially un-anonymisable and, yeah, they can't unanonymise it if they don't have it.

Once it's gone, once it's been sucked, we have lost all ability to then think "Errr, y'know what, I'd rather not risk it".

One more question pops into my mind .... how many of us know, as in have checked, what our medical records say? Not what they should say, but what they do say? And is it both complete and accurate? After all, even doctors are human, and as we know, to err is human (and to really screw up takes a computer).
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    That's a big worry. What we do know, for sure, is that it at least might end up in the wrong hands. It also wouldn't be the first time data has been left in a cab, on a train, stuck into an envelope and posted, never to be seen again, and so on. That leads me to a question and a conclusion.

The conclusion is that they can't lose what they don't have. The question is whether it was really lost in the post, or sold and that used as a convenient cover? Either way, they can't either lose or sell it if they don't have it.

But as I understand the arrangements, those with a suitable 'reason' can request data, which will be supplied in anonymised or pseudu-anonymised form whch is at least potentially un-anonymisable and, yeah, they can't unanonymise it if they don't have it.

Once it's gone, once it's been sucked, we have lost all ability to then think "Errr, y'know what, I'd rather not risk it".

One more question pops into my mind .... how many of us know, as in have checked, what our medical records say? Not what they should say, but what they do say? And is it both complete and accurate? After all, even doctors are human, and as we know, to err is human (and to really screw up takes a computer).
    I'd wager if you did check your full medical record you'd still not be able to tell for 100%certain how accurate it is unless you are medically trained. Many reports, scans and observations are made in shorthand and use acronyms. Further still involve interpreting numbers that just don't mean anything to a layman. Still more may contain things you disagree with but aren't factually inaccurate.

The most common request we get to "correct" records are where we mention alcohol or other controlled substances being present in the blood. "remove that, I'm not a drunk". We didn't say you were, we just said there were x parts per million of alcohol in your blood when we tested it. The fact its enough to knock out a small horse is circumstantial.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    I'd wager if you did check your full medical record you'd still not be able to tell for 100%certain how accurate it is unless you are medically trained. Many reports, scans and observations are made in shorthand and use acronyms. Further still involve interpreting numbers that just don't mean anything to a layman. Still more may contain things you disagree with but aren't factually inaccurate.

The most common request we get to "correct" records are where we mention alcohol or other controlled substances being present in the blood. "remove that, I'm not a drunk". We didn't say you were, we just said there were x parts per million of alcohol in your blood when we tested it. The fact its enough to knock out a small horse is circumstantial.
    I entirely take your point(s).

For reference, I would be surprised if anything beyond trace alcohol was in my bloodstream, as the only alcohol I've had in a good few years in wine, when used as a cooking ingredient, and therefore alcohol evaporated off. And if my bloodtests show non-prescription drugs, they're there from the '70s and even then, in minute quantities.

But for sure, I take the "shorthand" point. Not just for the purposes of being short, but also in the interests of medical CYA.

I'm not a medical person, but if I need a 'translator', I'm spoilt for choice, from a senior ICU nurse, to consultant surgeons.

Thanks

I'm fairly neutral on the matter overall; I understand the concerns people will have with their data being moved around, but in terms of data security (as opposed to anonymised access) it's not necessarily *that* much different to the status quo as I understand it. Medical records are already accessible remotely to some extent e.g. between GP and hospital.

As is the case with many things, it's all about implementation. I'm very much still learning about the platform myself, but I admire the intentions of such a system in terms of research - the sort of which would be much harder if not impossible to conduct as-is, and which the NHS appears somewhat uniquely positioned throughout the world to conduct.

In agreement with the OP, I think it's something people should research and consider, but I would also urge people to not knee-jerk one way or the other without proper consideration. While people may benefit from such research despite opting out, also consider whether you would be suitably represented if enough people also decided to opt out.

One aspect of the system as I understand it, is OpenSAFELY. I would encourage people to check out the FAQ's to see if they answer any concerns they may have. https://www.opensafely.org/

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Supernova G6 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" U2715H & Gigabyte M27Q
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe

"Sorry, your details do not match what we have in our records
    This may be because your GP practice does not have the correct details for you."

Not working for me. Is it because I am in Scotland? My details are correct and my GP also has all my latest details and address etc.
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme, MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO, Enermax Supernova G6 850W, Lian LI Lancool 3, 2x QHD 27in Monitors. Denon AVR1700H & Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Sound
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB & Synology DS920+ 9TB
    Portable=Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Huawei M5 10" & HP Omen 15 laptop

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Xuse's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Tuf H570 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 32 GB (4x 8GB) Crucial Ballistix BL2K8G32C16U4B 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB Samsung 960 Evo, 1TB WD, 2TB external, Toshiba 16TB MG Series Enterprise
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3070 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair rm850x (2018)
      • Case:
      • Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Enterprise
      • Internet:
      • 900/110 FTTP

Yes, it's because you live in Scotland. I don't think it applies to us.

However, I lived in England for 3 years and I get the same error.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neonplanet40 View Post
    "Sorry, your details do not match what we have in our records
    This may be because your GP practice does not have the correct details for you."

Not working for me. Is it because I am in Scotland? My details are correct and my GP also has all my latest details and address etc.
    It may well be different for Scotland. As I understand it, health is devolved in Scotland so presumably this would be too. But I don't know for sure.

Re: the online opt-out, I ran that and for me, it worked, and confirmed I already was. I am "registered" wiyh my GP for online access, and they have my email. That system needed either email address or mobile phone number for a 2FA type check. I ran it for the wife (at her request) and got that error message, because she isn't registered for online access. I understand the critical bit to be whether you are registered with the GP for that, or not.

It also seems that during lockdown, GPs could set up online access by phone, but now, they can't. It has to be done in person at the surgery, and on production of proper photo ID (alternatives exist if you don't have photo id). Or at least, that's what ours said.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    ... but in terms of data security (as opposed to anonymised access) it's not necessarily *that* much different to the status quo as I understand it. Medical records are already accessible remotely to some extent e.g. between GP and hospital.
    That's certainly true. None of his changes that existing access, though. Opting out of this doesn't affect the ability of hospitals and GP surgeries to electronically communicate, and that won't change if you do opt out. It's about sucking the data out of GP rcords for the purposes of populating this system, and the "research and planning" functions, including where that data may end up.

To be clear though, I'm not advocating that people should or shouldn't opt out. That, in my opinion, is both nuanced, and a personal judgment call.

What I am advocating is that, first, everybody should definitely know about it, and second, if they care, they NEED to act soon, or the decision will be irrevocably made for them by inaction.

I'm pretty sure quite a lot will be happy for this to happen, and probably most won't give a hoot either way. But for those that do care and do object, pull yer finger out.

Thanks
    • The Hand's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200mhz (8GBx2)
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Kingston SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce RTX 2060 Super 8GB Dual Series
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520 Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Praetorian
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Sony 32 inch HD TV
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbps Fibre

Thanks for the heads up, my choice seemed to go through ok. I sent friends and family the link too, thumbs up guys

Thanks

I live in Gibraltar now but was 21 years in England. I can't access the site directly - not available to people outside the UK.
    There's an email to write to, so I might try that.
    Shouldn't really have to use a VPN for this.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

It's worth remembering that they'll still be able to used deceased patient data to help with planning and research, and they'll be able to add those who opted out to the dataset as they die too. So it's hardly as though they'll have no data to work from.

Thread Information