Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had my first .... and last, Costa Latte today

Thanks

Had my first .... and last, Costa Latte today

Unless this one was a spectacularly badly made aberration, that is not a mistake I wll make again.

If there was actually any espresso in it, it was impossible to detect. It was utterly tasteless, other than basically hot(-ish) watery milk. And there was absolutely no differentiation between the milk and coffee layer, no colour variation at all. It was a uniform, pale milk colour. And if there was milk foam, that was undetectable too.

Okay, so a latte is going to be milky. The clue is in the name. But this was disgusting. I can do far better myself. Blindfolded, and with one hand. While riding a unicycle. Using a Nespresso machine. Was I impressed? Umm, no.

So, okay, the 'Nespresso latte' isn't technically compliant with latte as the 'espresso' isn't brewed at about 9-bar, and the milk is from a foamer not heated by steam, but it is a way, WAY nicer drink, a bit mediocre though it is.

The Costa thing actually made me feel nauseous. Literally.

/shudder

Anybody else tried one? Is it just me? Was this one just weird, or is that typical of what Costa call a latte?
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Re: Had my first .... and last, Costa Latte today

Had plenty of Costa's Lattes in my time and never had one that bad. Its a little weak (Nero is better in that regard) but its always been drinkable and I normally prefer an americano with a bit of milk at home. Maybe it was just a bad one not that i'd ever consider Costa high end?
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks

Costa is to coffee as McDonalds is to burgers. You need to find a small local coffee shop where they'll learn your preferences and put effort in to making you welcome.

That or a Bikini Barista stand.

Thanks

Nothng fancy, cheesemp, just "a latte, medium cup". I seriously think they forgot the espresso.

Oh sure, TeePee. I didn't mean "is a latte like his" so much as "is a Costa latte like this?".

To put it in context, we periodically meet up with friends, and did this today. Usually, in a small owner-managed cafe, and I usually stick to Americano, with a bit of milk. I have been in Costa more than a few times over the years, and don't especially rate them, but our normal 'owner-managed' place was unexpectedly shut when we all got there. So we ended up at the nearest alternative, which happened to be ..... Costa. And then I got .... that thing they called a latte.

PS. Thank goodness I only had a medium, not large.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TeePee View Post
    I don't like coffee, but bikini's.....

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig View Post
    I don't like coffee, but bikini's.....
    You thinking of becoming a bikini barista then?

Thanks

No, but if you find one let me know so I can stand up against the window....

Can't even stand the smell of coffee, hated it when I used to work in a college and you'd walk past the math staffroom and they'd all be sat there at breaks/lunch/free's with their little cafetiere things stinking the room out...

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Quote Originally Posted by TeePee View Post
    Costa is to coffee as McDonalds is to burgers. You need to find a small local coffee shop where they'll learn your preferences and put effort in to making you welcome.

To be fair TeePee - independant coffee shops can be a little hard to find in some areas!

Still a Costa should still be drinkable - I suspect someone did forget the actual Coffee Saracen. Its not like Costa employees are that motivated plus are usually overworked during busy periods.

As an interesting point McDonalds can do an alright coffee in the UK - nothing special but definitely drinkable providing the machine doesn't burn it (I've had that once out of about 10 coffees). Its a bean to cup machine so its fairly hard to screw up. Definitely good enough when you need a perk up on a long motorway drive!
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

I generally agree - their "normal" latte's are generally pretty weak and terrible. Like a cup of hot milk, which isn't bad necessarily, but not what I'm after.

I found the best option is to order a Skinny Latte instead - not only is it slightly healthier, but you taste more coffee whilst still being milky. I typically ask for an extra shot in it also which almost always gets me a nice drink.

Does the job in most cases, although Nero still make a better one as standard imo, and I actually prefer the McDonalds one..as Cheesemp says, their coffee actually isn't too bad (for the price)

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

From what I remember, one of them has a strange process where they put the milk in first, then the espresso on top. If that's Costa then yeah, maybe they forgot the actual coffee bit...

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

To be fair that's how I make a latte at home - steam the milk first and put the coffee shots in afterwards. Probably not the "correct" way to do it but I find it generally means I get a guaranteed coffee taste.
    I am also one of those "heretics" who likes to mix the drink afterwards with a spoon, so I guess it doesnt actually make a difference (and yes I do this even after it's been made by a professional )

I don't add sugar though, I mean that would just be wrong.

I am no connoisseur though, I just like what I like I guess its more of a "milky coffee with steamed & frothed milk" than strictly a latte in that case.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    To be fair that's how I make a latte at home - steam the milk first and put the coffee shots in afterwards. Probably not the "correct" way to do it but I find it generally means I get a guaranteed coffee taste.
    I am also one of those "heretics" who likes to mix the drink afterwards with a spoon, so I guess it doesnt actually make a difference (and yes I do this even after it's been made by a professional )

I don't add sugar though, I mean that would just be wrong.

I am no connoisseur though, I just like what I like I guess its more of a "milky coffee with steamed & frothed milk" than strictly a latte in that case.
    I'm no connoisseur either, Spud, and utterly agree with the "I like what I like" argument. I had what was not far off a blazing row once with a chef in a pretty up-market restaurant, over how I wanted my steak. I ordered "medium". Yes, I know that's not how the smart brigade think it should be, but I like it how I like it, which happens to be medium. After the chef sent the poor server back with his .... view ... on how I wanted my steak, I asked the server to suggest if the chef wanted it done differently, he come explain why to me. To my surprise, he did. He came out and informed me how "how it should be cooked", at which I asked him if he'd care to take a seat while I popped into the kitchen and cooked him a steak my way, which he couid then eat .... and pay for.

He declined. So at that point, I was no longer intrested in eating there. I'm not stupid enough to publicly embarrass the chef (though calling him a supercilious snob may not have helped) and then eat there, so I cancelled the order and left.

Back to coffee. I think the main reason, and the only reason I'd care about coffee first, then milk, is for a nice latter art image on top. That really requires properly foamed (lightly, and very fine foam) to be poured into the shot. But, pour the bulk of the milk properly, before doing the 'art' bit, and it thoroughly mixes anyway.

And do I really much care about latte art? Nah. It's about the coffee for me, but .... it's a nice little bonus, if done right. I sure wouldn't give up the taste, when it has any, for it.

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Multiple HDD and SSD drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

Can't say I've ever tried the Costa latte, but the cortado, mocha and flat whites have always tasted ok to me.

That said, it's been some time since I've had anything from Costa.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    I can do far better myself. Blindfolded, and with one hand. While riding a unicycle. Using a Nespresso machine.
    Yeah?

Prove it........

I just happen to have a Hazelnut Latte from Costa right next to me. Not a common thing, but the Ttaskmistress was passing and thought it'd be a nice treat.
    I have started using Costa far more often since they opened a "Drive-Thru" right on my most common route, though if they manage to miss the O, G and H from the side of their building then I'd not be surprised if they also miss the coffee in a few of their namesake beverages.

TBF, the hazelnut latte isn't hideous, but I wouldn't ever say this was good coffee, either. Convenient, at best...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    Yeah?

Prove it........

I just happen to have a Hazelnut Latte from Costa right next to me. ....
    Just for clarification, I'm not claiming I can do better than all Costa Latte's. As the title suggests, I'm drawing on an smallish experience sample (of exactly one). But that one was really pretty disgusting. The point of the thread, really, was in the last sentence ...

Was this one just weird, or is that typical of what Costa call a latte?
    It's certainly coming scross, so far at least, that not many of us have wide experienc of Costa Latte's, but nobody is exactly raving about the ones they have tried.

Put it this way. To my tastes, which yes, is very subjective, I can do a much, much, MUCH better latte with a capsule, a Nespresso machine and one of their fake foamer thingies. Oh, and a cup/glass and some cold milk. I can even get a very crude latte art on it, though if you can get truly 'silky' milk with that thing, it's beaten me. But it tastes ..... okay. Which is not just in a different league but on a different planet to that concoction my local Costa laughably called a latte.

I will concede I might have got a bit carried away when claiming I could do it riding a unicycle .... having never ridden one. I suspect it is true though, if I could stay on long enough to make the coffee before coming off and breaking my fool neck. So yeah, maybe that bit was poetic licence. But blind-folded and one-handed? I think I can manage that.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    I will concede I might have got a bit carried away when claiming I could do it riding a unicycle .... having never ridden one. I suspect it is true though, if I could stay on long enough to make the coffee before coming off and breaking my fool neck. So yeah, maybe that bit was poetic licence. But blind-folded and one-handed? I think I can manage that.
    Na, na, na, na, na, naaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh.... No backing out now, Holy-Lander. You laid out the challenge, invited takers, and I jolly well took you up on it.
    I expect my better-than-Costa latte to be delivered as described, and that's all there is to it.

Also, just so you know, I have not abandoned your other challenge from a few years back, involving spellcheckers and devils in dresses...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information