• UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Meatloaf RIP

He passed away today apparently from COVID!

Another legend gone before their time!

Had a great sense of humour:

2. Received thanks from:

ik9000 (22-01-2022)

Thanks

Re: Meatloaf RIP

That came as a shock when I saw it on the BBC, and a sad day it is for music, too.

Haven't seen anything about why, though. Was it from Covid, or just "with" Covid? The statistics in general are pretty slippery on that distinction.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

4. Received thanks from:

AGTDenton (22-01-2022)

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    That came as a shock when I saw it on the BBC, and a sad day it is for music, too.

Haven't seen anything about why, though. Was it from Covid, or just "with" Covid? The statistics in general are pretty slippery on that distinction.
    I heard it was because he had an accident while riding like a bat out of hell and running for a red light to get away from a psychotic hot patootie, who was a dead ringer for love-ing a man of steel once they got down to a piece of the action. Apparently he'd been transfixed by a vision in a car behind that looked like paradise by the dashboard light, but it was distorted since objects in the rear view mirror may appear closer than they are and lost control.

And for the real keen fans: relating the tale to a parademic he apparently gave this account:
    He'd been staying with a girl who lured him, a sailor for a siren, looking for a piece of the action.
    He asked "I may be jumping the gun, but are you a modern girl cos I think we should go all the way "
    and she was "well err, I'd lie for you if it would help but unless you're blind as a bat then...well what you see is what you get y'know"
    "oh, what? Is nothing sacred? I'd do anything for love but I won't do that"
    "but you didn't complain the last two times"
    "what other times?"
    "those ones where we partied with rock and roll mercenaries at the bar and were going all the way with the bikers from Los Angeloser"
    "We did?"
    "Yeah it was like midnight at the lost and found... and you kept yelling out 'surf's up!' and high-fiving the others. I said you should slow down, but you said 'I'd go blind before I stop. I'm gonna love her for both of us' The next day we made out beneath the mistletoe and you said a kiss is a terrible thing to waste, but you were still so drunk you might as well have been speaking in tongues."
    "Did I say that? Well I guess I couldn't have said it better. Oh it's all coming back to me now"
    "Yeah, you see. Here drink this lemonade it'll help you sober up"
    "Ew that's bitter."
    "'So if life", you said before when we read the headlines together, "everything sucks, read em and weep, it's all going to hell in a handbasket... etc, etc"
    "Well it is. Life is a lemon and I want my money back. Sorry honey but it's time to peel out. We're not going all the way today. I need to be home by now, no matter what"
    "What, you kiss me and let me look after you, but you're scared of going all the way? Don't think you can peel out now, how about some nocturnal pleasure? Give me one more kiss"
    "Well I'm sorry. Two of out three ain't bad, right? Oh hey, don't cry over me... look you're a special girl it's just...look sometimes rock and dreams come thorugh and sometimes they don't"
    "Well I can't help it if I cry to heaven. What about love? Oh if God could talk would he tell us to sieze the night? The future ain't what it used to be. If I can't have you there'll be no peace on earth. If I can't have you then nobody shall"
    "Wait what? That's a bit of a bad attitude, deep down we all find we're braver than we are. You'll be ok you'll see"
    "You get me all revved up with no place to go? I'm going to introduce you to my razor's edge... I've done it before, it's not that hard, getting away with murder. In the land of the pig the butcher is king."
    "oh this is bad for good, I'd rather be alive, keep that blade to yourself and don't you leave your mark on me. Remember good girls go to heaven (bad girls go everywhere else). Don't become one of those lost boys and golden girls regretting their wasted youth.
    She chases him round the house slashing wildly. "this is no time for heroes, let's be in love, with me you'd be like Elvis in Vegas!"
    "Oh for crying out loud, you can never have all of me." He makes it to a patio door and says "see you later monstro" before jumping through it.
    "Fool! You can't get away from me living on the outside. California isn't big enough, there's no running away from me. I'm a fallen angel, the wolf at your door in the promised land. It's your execution day, embrace it!"
    "Enough of this song of madness. Enjoy your party of one in your mad mad world", he grabbed his bike and sped off into the night

After the crash apparently he kept repeating to the paramedic "You can never be too sure about the girl. The monster is loose."

See how many songs you can spot in that lot. RIP meat, some of the music we grew up listening to, for me on a set of tapes a friend made me back when we were all too young to work and reliant on copying various parent's music collections to hear anything other than what the radio was willing to play. Some real classics there among his catalogue.

Fetchez la vache!
    Thanks
    • dannyboy75's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF Gaming B550 Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5800X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 500GB, Samsung 840 SSD 500Gb, WD 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 3080 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Falcon GameMax
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG27AQ G-Sync 165 Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200/20 FTTP

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post

From what I read it was directly from Covid rather than 'complications due to....'.

I wasn't a huge fan of his music but always respected him, having read about his difficult childhood - bullied by his classmates and [allegedly] abusive father. Not wanting to rain on his parade but, reading some of the recent press reports from the last couple of days, it sounds like he was a vocal climate change denier, and anti-masker, which is somewhat disappointing IMO. But I still have some respect for what he achieved, particularly given his difficult start in life.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Really? Was he antivax and anti mask then getting covid...? Ironic. It's sad that people have to needlessly suffer.

As for his music, most of it was written by Jim Steinmann, meat just was a better performer and had the stage presence to own it and make the tunes known to the masses.

Thanks

With the way mask and vaccine mandates have been politicised, it's not surprising how many people have become completely opposed to wearing or getting them, even people with a lot of health issues who are actually at risk.

Thanks

Would rather celebrate the man and his life rather than descend into the murkiness of covid and vaccinations.
    Jon

Thread Information