Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time to ditch the PC and go with a Steam Deck?

Thanks

Re: Time to ditch the PC and go with a Steam Deck?

You install it from the in-built discover app then log into GoG/Epic from the respective options when you open it up. No faffing or messing about required.

If you want any other launchers THEN things get a little more complicated I believe (I've not tried it)

You can then open heroic (from desktop or Steam OS mode) and open/download any of your games from there, or you can add the games as non Steam games and open directly.

2. Received thanks from:

Saracen999 (23-11-2022)

Thanks

Well now the Steam sale has started (Crysis remastered trilogy for £22, yes please) I now own SO many games, I've not spent as much time or money on games ever!

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

I have far too many games now, for me to play them all with the respect they deserve is sadly impossible.

I do need a cull on my Steam account! I have so many JRPGs from bundles, before those fell off the radar, I'm never going to play a single one.
    I should have been more proactive & given more away at the time.

But the Crysis remastered Trilogy does sound tempting

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

I've been looking into a steam deck this Christmas. Got to be honest very tempted. I have a newish PC (Ryzen 3600) but my GPU is just an rx480 and I just can't justify a replacement given the current pricing. Only thing putting me off is lack of time. I got a 3d printer 2 years ago and Quest 2 VR headset last year and both just gather dust. I'm really desperate to use them both but rarely find the time once kids are in bed to do anything (And its been this way for 8 years!).

One thing I have considered was installing a copy of the Stream deck OS on my Ryzen laptop - Its got a 5500 in it which technically should be more powerful than a steam deck APU... But again the time issue - this things rarely just work!
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks

Time is the one thing this gives me, I've never played so many games for a long time.

I didnt have a use for anything other than a laptop for Internet usage so this form factor made sense, no taking over the TV or uncomfortably trying to get a KB/M working on the couch or finding a space in the house to ge from, I just sit on the couch and I'm sorted!

Thanks
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i9 9900KF
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 1TB / 3 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Odyssey G9
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps BT FTTH

Now I'm tempted to get one, mainly as it's currently on sale with 10% off until the 23rd of March.

Thanks

Do it, they're so great

9. Received thanks from:

Iota (20-03-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Iota View Post
    Now I'm tempted to get one, mainly as it's currently on sale with 10% off until the 23rd of March.
    Just to point out at time of posting this - discount has ended (about 5 hours ago).

However, I was tempted too, and been contemplating the yes/no of it since last (I think) Friday.

Yes arguments :-

- want one
    - availability fine (delivery quoted at 1 to 2 weeks)
    - first discount I've seen, at any time point since launch.

And therefore, as I've been tempted for months, this looks like at least as good a time as any, so I need to, ummm, 'poop or get off the potty'.

On the other hand :-

- rumours are quite common of an incipient, forthcoming version 2.
    - if such is true (I rather think it is) :-
    .... - when?
    .... - at what price?
    .... - and of what spec?

While rumours of version 2 are common, i can find nothing concrete on quite when, and certainly not of price, and little between contradictory wish-lists of what fans want, not what we'll actually see in a v2.

Which means .... a discounted price might, as stated, just be a "1 Yr old" thing, or it might be a stock-reducing measure prior to an imminent announcement of v2. Valve are pretty good at keeping info under wraps, and strong NDAs, until they want it out there.

Anyway, I caved.

Ordered mine.

Which no doubt means v2 is to be announced imminently, probably with significant improvements and a better price, or at least, not a mch worse price. It's how my luck runs.

More seriously, my bet for v2 is,

- I've no idea when,
    - and either much improved spec but at significantly imcreased price, or fairly nominal evolutionary changes (but not revolutionary) at the same or modestly increased price. And I think any drastic price increases would significantly reduce the segment of the market interested, For instance, a great OLED screen would be nice, but what would it do to the price?

Anyway, having finally made up my mind, after months of dithering ..... want it yesterday.

Oh, couple of games too. A "complete" Edition of Halflife (old, I know, but I enjoyed it first time rond and at about £2.xx for, what, 8 different variants and versions, I decided to really push the boat out.

Oh, and Stray. Looks cute.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AORUS Master X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 Kingston Fury Renegade @ 3600MHz CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800 XT
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
      • Case:
      • bequiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    Anyway, I caved.

Ordered mine.
    I'll certainly be interested in hearing what you think about it.

It definitely won't affect my decision not to get one though, because while all of the technology is certainly interesting, I've actually got no interest in any handheld devices (a mobile phone is the closest I'm willing to get to that, and I don't play games on it and wouldn't want to) as I prefer using a full-fat PC and monitor(s).

Thanks

It's not for me. I did toy with the idea but I think I would get far too annoyed with it. I have a Nintendo Switch and it feels unwieldy. However would definitely like to know what you think of it.

I play mainly RTS (Company of Heroes) etc and not sure how that would be like to play when I am trying to do quick mouse selections etc
    Jon

Thanks

I get it's not for everybody. But for some changes in circumstances, it wouldn't be for me either. I have a decently powerful "gaming" laptop (5900X, 32GB, mobile 3080, etc.) that's about a year old, or a bit less. And, while "mobile" CPU, GPU etc aren't the full-blooded desktop variants, that laptop is a pretty credible gaming machine for most situations. Moreover, I have spent years avoiding using Steam at all (several reasons, won't bother explaining again), never mind Steam Deck.

But .... circumstances, innit? I can see, depending perhaps on type of game, a air few situations coming up where the Deck is viable but even a laptop .... well, is far from ideal. Usable, but awkward. Whereas a Deck, and set of IEMs or headphones? Usable. I hope.

Will gladly report back on what I thiink. I am, at heart, a PC gamer. I MUCH refer KB and mose control to mini joysticks, button pads, etc. So I have reservations about the S-Deck, and how I'll get on with it. And that, leaving aside self-mockery about dithering, is why it's taken a while to get around the getting one - convincing myself to take a £500 punt and hope I like it? Not easy.

It will be interesting, to me at least, whether the Deck is good enough to convince someone that isn't a natural buyer for a device like this. If it isn't, expensive mistake.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

14. Received thanks from:

Output (24-03-2023)

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    - I've no idea when,
    I don't think AMD make the right chip for a steam deck V2 right now. I have seen the upcoming Phoenix 2 chip mentioned as being ideal, being a low power low cost version of the main laptop chip, but that chip is still just rumours atm. I don't think you'll be getting the buyer's remorse any time soon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I don't think AMD make the right chip for a steam deck V2 right now. I have seen the upcoming Phoenix 2 chip mentioned as being ideal, being a low power low cost version of the main laptop chip, but that chip is still just rumours atm. I don't think you'll be getting the buyer's remorse any time soon
    Agreed. I don't think I'm getting B-R in part because I think I thought that option through and decided my best option was to buy now, either way. It's probably borderline if it's even worth the cost to me right now, given lack of experience with the handheld format (in any manufacturer flavour) and if a v2 is a significant improvement, I don't see it being any cheaper. Not in the realistically near-term, anyway. Of course it might be a collection of minor tweaks, i.e. what I referred to as "evolutionary". So, maybe joystick upgrade, relocate a control or two, tweak cooling or whatever. I mean, this one is basically first-gen and the second release of almost any brand new model sees those lessons learned from mass adoption addressed. Maybe that's more of a v1.1 (or 1,x where x>1) model, though. It ewould, admit, be a bit irritating if that comes out next month. Given a choice of a model revision like that at the current fixed price, or the existing one with the 10% discount, I'd go for the tweaked one.

It's just that that 10% was just enough to push me over the edge of "should I bother at all" into "Oh, WTF, why not?"

Well, we'll see how I feel in a few weeks. Next, I wish Prusa would get on with their new model announcement.

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

Part of me is glad I held off, I've saved a bunch of cash by sitting on my hands. Part of me in annoyed I missed out on the offer, but I'm sure there will be others. I've also got a Switch that sits gathering dust - handheld wasn't great (maybe like the Vita it needs a better grip?) and when docked, well we've got a PS5.

The biggest issue is the price of games on the Switch, Skyrim is still around £50, for a 5 year old port of a 12 year old game - no thanks! The Steam deck solves this problem - I've got a back catalogue that would keep me busy on the couch for a couple of years and I'm happy not playing the latest and greatest ('complete edition' at £30 is usually where I bite for new games I'm interested in, which can be many years later!) so waiting for the Steam sales is fine. So I'll just stick to watching something on my phone when I want to be in the same room as the other half but she's gaming away on the TV.

Thanks

Re: Steamdeck V2

Broadly no spec change, probably updates to screen/battery but hardware specs will likely be exactly the same.

https://www.theverge.com/23499215/va...view-late-2022

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    Re: Steamdeck V2

Broadly no spec change, probably updates to screen/battery but hardware specs will likely be exactly the same.

https://www.theverge.com/23499215/va...view-late-2022
    Hadn't seen that article, so thanks for that. I had seen most of the "speculation", and that may well be the source (usually unattributed) for much of it, but it's VERY interesting to see it in the insider's own words.

I do note many of those insider hints are .... carefully phrased. I've spent enough time over the years writing very carefully phrased comments myself to recognise the technique instantly when I see it. So, while they may be 100% truthful in both technical interpretation and even probable inference by readers, there's also an element of wriggle room, a bit like the infamous politician-grade "We have no plans to <insert objective>". Well, if I were a politician and fully intended to do XYZ that I knew was going to be controversial or unpopular, I might well know for sure it was going to happen, but as I haven't developed the actual plan yet, I can quite truthfully swear in court, or to the House of Commons, that I have no "plans". I might be able to develop fully-fledged plans in a few days but, haven't .... yet.

Cynical? M'oi?

Anyways, assuming those comments genuinely reflect a likely slow evolution and minor tweaks, that makes actually jumping on the discount deal better.

Will there be future discounts? Well, probably. I mean, it's the first I've seen on the Deck but given the hardware shortage until the last, what, 6 months or so, it's not a huge surprise they didn't previously discount. Why would they f they can sell & ship about as fast as they can make them. But, going forward, the pent-up demand has been fulfilled and now we are (IMHO) in regular tickover mode. Hence, "probably". When, though? No idea. My guess would be not for a few months, but who knows. I certainly didn't want to wait further hoping for a better deal. Watching comments from the likes of Linus (LTT) hardware margins on the Deck probably aren't huge, and if not, discounts aren't going to be either, especially if there is no "Pro" or drastic hardware upgrade coming any time soon. So currently, at least, me=happy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information