Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time to ditch the PC and go with a Steam Deck?

Thanks

Time to ditch the PC and go with a Steam Deck?

It may just be because I'm older and have less time, or it may be due to crazy GPU pricing and general annoyance with the PC market, but I'm seriously considering selling my rig and just buying a basic 64GB Steam Deck and upgrading to an SSD.

I don't use my living room SFF PC for anything other than gaming, yeah I lose the potential for amazing graphics but it'd just be so convenient!

Sell my rig and pretty much do a straight swap with only a little extra cash needed, sounds good to me, and let's not even think about the £200 I'd planned to spend on a 'new' GPU in the next few months...

Thanks

Re: Time to ditch the PC and go with a Steam Deck?

They're a bit small though....

Thanks

The ultimate SFF one might say

Thanks

Hows the eyes, yeah you can plug it into a monitor but I certainly wouldn't want to use one to replace my gaming rig..

Thanks

Even I thought about it and my view of Steam is no secret. I decided against, though, and not just because of what I think of the principles behind Steam. The first problem appeared to be actually getting one in a timely fashion. The second, for all that it's a very clever little box, is like Trig said - too small.

Too small for me, though, doesn't mean it is for you. What is a no-no for one might be exactly what appeals to another.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

They're a fair size I think.
    One thing holding me back is that I want to play through HL Alyx again!

I might wait to see if the person I know selling a 2070 super is letting it go for cheap or not and then make my mind up.

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Multiple HDD and SSD drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

It took me almost exactly a year to get one.

However, I view it as more of a Switch that can use my existing library of games.

Is it a desktop replacement? Maybe if you install Windows on it, otherwise it depends what you play.
    Unless the game has a linux native version, its reliant on Proton, which, as some have found, means the game can work one day, and stop the next due to an update to either Proton or the game itself.

I have a limited set of games I choose to play on it, I don't play FPS or RTS games on it for example, but that is because I only use it hand held, and my skills with console controllers suck mightly in FPS games.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Back in my day, we played games with only seven colours, and were thrilled to bits.
    Even now, I'm still only gaming on a 980Ti and there's nothing I can't play at decent enough graphics levels to enjoy the game.

Amazing über-ray-traced graphics look stunning for the first couple of times, but then you get into the game and you stop noticing how good they are anyway.

Save your money, stick with what you have and maybe reconsider again when the next gen comes out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BobF64 View Post
    It took me almost exactly a year to get one.

However, I view it as more of a Switch that can use my existing library of games.

Is it a desktop replacement? Maybe if you install Windows on it, otherwise it depends what you play.
    Unless the game has a linux native version, its reliant on Proton, which, as some have found, means the game can work one day, and stop the next due to an update to either Proton or the game itself.

I have a limited set of games I choose to play on it, I don't play FPS or RTS games on it for example, but that is because I only use it hand held, and my skills with console controllers suck mightly in FPS games.
    I have a PC for work, a laptop, my son has a PC, we have tablets and smartphones etc so there's no need for a desktop replacement. It feels a waste to have a PC sitting next to the TV that gets turned on once a week. firing it up for 30mins of Fallout or similar is a faff, a handheld might make that easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    Back in my day, we played games with only seven colours, and were thrilled to bits.
    Even now, I'm still only gaming on a 980Ti and there's nothing I can't play at decent enough graphics levels to enjoy the game.

Amazing über-ray-traced graphics look stunning for the first couple of times, but then you get into the game and you stop noticing how good they are anyway.

Save your money, stick with what you have and maybe reconsider again when the next gen comes out.
    I'm on a 960 since selling my 980Ti in preparation for cheap(er) GPUs hitting the market, but that ~£200 goes a long way toward the deck! Pkus I've reserved a 64GB SteamDeck now, I can't cancel or I'll never get that £4 back!

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    I have a PC for work, a laptop, my son has a PC, we have tablets and smartphones etc so there's no need for a desktop replacement. It feels a waste to have a PC sitting next to the TV that gets turned on once a week. firing it up for 30mins of Fallout or similar is a faff, a handheld might make that easier.
    What I mean is, don't necessarily expect it to be equivalent to a Windows gaming PC, the experience can vary quite a lot.
    It's amazed me how many people seem to believe they cant live without a Deck, mostly those from countries that cant actually order them.

I am happy with it, i'd be happier if i could get MAME and the ZX Spectrum emulators to actually work for me, but I havent had the patience to mess around much.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    Pkus I've reserved a 64GB SteamDeck now, I can't cancel or I'll never get that £4 back!
    They refund it if you cancel.

Thanks

Oh I understand the nature of it, but it probably suits my usage. Fallout, Cyberpunk and a dent in my backlog.

As for the £4... I forgot the /s

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

I think the people its least suited to are those that have convinced themselves it will be like having a gaming PC with a 3090Ti in it, and they will be able to play their games at 4K with highest quality.

Reality is, its a good little unit, and you sometimes have to accept its occasional failings.

On thing I would add, you dont necessarily need an SSD, the speed with a decent SD card are more than acceptable, but you will definitely need more storage.

Thanks

I'd seen a used 256gb ssd for under £20 and planned to upgrade it myself. Sat plus a128gb sd card should do me fine.

Thanks

Well I got one, and an £18 256GB SSD which is now installed + a 256GB Sdcard.

I'm really, really impressed with these things, I'm so surprised at how well some things run, Fallout 4 looks great and runs at decent settings at a fixed 40fps.
    I'm downloading a tonne of stuff but at 30meg Internet it takes a while. Cyberpunk is 60gb so I'll kick that off and have a play soon.

Time to sell the main rig I guess..
    Last edited by Rob_B; 08-10-2022 at 06:40 PM.

Thanks

What about screen size? Must me like playing on a mobile phone? Or do you find it big enough? How do you think RTS games would fair running on a screen that size?
    Jon

Thanks

It's a fair size, enough for the size of the device. It's pretty clear, although how an RTS would work I'm not sure as I don't play them, plenty of videos on YouTube though and you can map on screen buttons to make up for lack of keyboard.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information