Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: its rare when news puts a smile on yer face

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks

its rare when news puts a smile on yer face

but this cirtainly did -> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4719833.stm

here's to hoping pc world is next..
    hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    As much as those machines where crap i hardly thinking lots of people losing there job is something to smile about.

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks
    indeed tig, i'll laugh when you loose your job 5lab...

Thanks
    • XA04's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570-A Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 2x 8gb DDR 4 3200
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Serpent M.2 SSD & 4TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit RTX 2060
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 650W
      • Case:
      • Fractcal Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama 34" Curved UWQHD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100mb Fibre
    Quote Originally Posted by TiG
    As much as those machines where crap i hardly thinking lots of people losing there job is something to smile about.

TiG
    Yeah, not nice for people to lose there jobs.

But I must admit they are... were, a crap company.

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    tbh, it might not be great for them but its a great deal better for the average customer. the service that company gave were awefull. i have no sympathy for someone who works for a company like that, in particular for their salespeople.

i would have thought del et al will pick up the slack - so its not as if the jobs have been eradicated, more transfered company..

Thanks
    The holding company for Time and The computer shop has gone under too.

The Jobs HAVE been lost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Errr...me
    I MSN offline people
    6014 3DMk 05

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    you're missing my point - as time and tiny go under, other pc companies will have to make more pcs to cope with demand, and thus have to employ more people.

tadaaa.. the jobs aren't actually lost..

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 5lab
    tbh, it might not be great for them but its a great deal better for the average customer. the service that company gave were awefull. i have no sympathy for someone who works for a company like that, in particular for their salespeople.

i would have thought del et al will pick up the slack - so its not as if the jobs have been eradicated, more transfered company..
    5lab, i take it by the way you are speaking you have never been made redundant. because the lack of compassion you are showing is quite frankly distasteful.

Sure they where a crap company, but crap companies still employee humans with families and have their own bills to pay.

Sympathy for people being made redundant should have nothing to do with the company. People take jobs where they can get them.

Have a bit more compassion.

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks
    I don't think the net increase in jobs (caused by this) will cover the loss. An increase in production from other companies does not require as many staff as a whole new company would.

Thanks
    I was working for Staples which was next to pc world. Several times they came over to lure me away from my sales/technical position.

Unfortunately my ethics kept me away. My statement & question was thus: "Currently I'm not on commission, if someone comes in to buy the cheapest or expensive PC and I think it's the wrong choice, I tell them to downgrade or go elsewhere rather than have an angry customer come back to me. Would a job a PC world allow me to do that?" to which the reply was "but you get commission"

I could have taken their extra £2 an hour and been a sales manager. They knew I was good, but did I? Nup. I like working in an enviroment with a big multinational company where if I give good advice, I get customers come back for more. I walked in on my first day, stuck by my ethics and sold five computers with five of the biggest warranties we had. The guy came back again and again saying what wonderful customer service he had and he never ever had a problem.

On the otherhand, everyone I know who has been to PC world has had problems and crap customer service.

I still get letters of praise from customers at Staples. I left three years ago. Unfortunately just after I left, Staples had a change of ethics. They fired everyone since they were in trouble and only re-employed those with good sales records. All the characters that kept good morale left (they weren't useless, they did all the other jobs that made sales possible) and therefore EVERYONE is stealing, ignoring phone calls and just getting on with the job. It's no longer a fun and motivated place to work.

:- (
    Tim N

Thanks
    btw, time and tiny PCs took up most my time when I was freelancing. Got more cuts from the inside of those cases than I get from my devil cat.

Plus tiny used to glue everything into place. It's a miracle that most those machines work at all.

Plus my aunties PC from tiny went wrong on no less than 16 occasions. I'm was very distraught when they went out and bought a SECOND tiny which followed up with another 9 problems. When asked why "we trust them" WHY?
    Tim N

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_n
    btw, time and tiny PCs took up most my time when I was freelancing. Got more cuts from the inside of those cases than I get from my devil cat.
    YES. The times I've worked fixing/upgrading a Time PC I've nearly died from blood loss.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

I'd have a double vodka over a lager anyday
    Thanks
    Well I guess it's just gonna increase profits for that company that offers to fix Tiny machines. Wasn't it £92 last time my friend checked for a laptop fan replacement? I'd hate to have a Tiny machine break down now if I owned one.

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TiG
    5lab, i take it by the way you are speaking you have never been made redundant. because the lack of compassion you are showing is quite frankly distasteful.

Sure they where a crap company, but crap companies still employee humans with families and have their own bills to pay.

Sympathy for people being made redundant should have nothing to do with the company. People take jobs where they can get them.

Have a bit more compassion.

TiG
    i'm sorry but i have to disagree. take, for example, retail work - being a pushy salesman with no morals means you'll fit in perfectly in lots of lines of work - car salesman springs immediately to mind, or working in pc world. everyone has a choice where to work, and if they chose to work for a company which preys on under-educated members of public in order to push a bigger profit, then I have *NO* sympathy for them. in fact, I would even go as far as to suggest they deserve it. you wouldnt feel sorry if someone who'd been conning money off elderly people got sent to jail, so why is this any different?

Thanks
    The thing is that most of the people that worked for Time/Tiny probably didn't have any other knowledge other then what they were taught on the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Errr...me
    I MSN offline people
    6014 3DMk 05

Thanks
    • shelley bda's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI Lanparty Pro 875B
      • CPU:
      • Pentium 4 3.2
      • Memory:
      • 2 gig Geil
      • Storage:
      • Seagate 320 gig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi Radeon 9600XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R 580w
      • Case:
      • Beantech BT84B
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 15" TFT
      • Internet:
      • 2meg Nildram ADSL
    At least the people working there can get other jobs doing what they were doing at tiny...

I feel sorry for the people who have worked all their lives in a certain place... Rover for eg and are now either too old and unskilled to do anything else...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information