Thread: exhausted... just off the plane now

Thanks

exhausted... just off the plane now

Sheesh - what a couple of weeks....

Went out to NZ on business a couple of weeks ago, and stayed for a week's holiday on top -= fantasically good fun working back at "home" again, but timezones are a killer
    my girlfriend came out to join me for a week's winter hols - bit of tramping in the snow was great fun, and nice relaxing in front of a log fire - couldn't risk skiing with work on monday

with all the terrorist crises around, a workmate was redirected to Sydney for a couple of days so we wouldn't have to have her attempt to fly through the US of A, so she at least got some sun!

<rant>
    My flight got in at 11am this morning after a few delays on the way, but have arrived safe and sound and have come to the following conclusions:

1. American Border Security is increasingly retarded:
    This is my 4th trip via the US going to NZ in the last year, so now they've collected my fingerprints and taken my photo 8 times. the last 2 times (this trip) the arrivals form for transit is processed by one person, then the stub collected by another person 3 steps away. flight out - no problem, just general incompetence and total lack of professionalism.
    flight back: nobody was let into transit for over 25 minutes due to some minimum wage moron not turning up to collect the stubs. private security company wouldn't allow us into transit lounge despite entry visas having been processed, because moron collecting stubs wasn't there. that's just unacceptably slack - but you also get the impression that complaining would probably get you arrested.
    2. Security in Auckland is tight, and appropriate.
    I was warned that if the US changed their security regulations inflight, my laptop may be confiscated on arrival. if that happens, I'm to request the presence of senior airnz ground crew who will try to arrange escrow of laptop. recommended that I check it into the hold so it wouldn't be an issue. Impressed - yeah, I'd say so!
    3. Security in the UK - tight, a little twitchy, but haven't overreacted as far as i can tell
    However - BAA cannot cope and they need to get their collective rears into gear. It's unacceptable to wait at the gate for 20 minutes while some union twit pulls his finger out to get the jetway setup. After waiting for 30 mins on the tarmac for a gate in teh first place.
    If they can't cope with running 4 terminals at heathrow, then how on earth can they cope with 5?

Knackered now and need lunch!

laters!

Scotty
    </rant>

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyman
    1. American Border Security is increasingly retarded: ... but you also get the impression that complaining would probably get you arrested ...
    Had the pleasure of Past port control in New York in the 90's. Asked some Security person a question, cannot remember what I asked, all he said was 'step behind the yellow line please sir'. I apologised and stepped behind the yellow line, then repeated the question, 'Keep behind the yellow line please sir' was the answer and the guy rested his hand on his gun and stared at me... do not ask any questions.

Thanks
    Just got back from a 2 week trip to the west coast of the USA, the security was tight but wasn't unorganised and didnt slow my trip down at all, the national guard was there and they searched my bags but that was it LAX was super busy though. Heathrow seemed a bit mental!

Ed
    Three Lions!
    C'mon England

Thanks
    I'm going to take a boat or train next time I go over I reckon
    SmoothNuts!~yaman_an@*.dsl.pipex.com > change my rating to exceptional tbh

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by atrull
    I'm going to take a boat or train next time I go over I reckon
    Defeatist!
    Three Lions!
    C'mon England

Thanks
    i did the old two passports thing today as well - travelled on both kiwi and british passport, but decided not to try that in the US, as they'd get scared and confused

Thanks
    • MadduckUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 1x480GB SSD, 1x 2TB Hybrid, 1x 3TB Rust Spinner
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 5700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750w
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SJ55W, DELL S2409W
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 80
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyman
    as they'd get scared and confused
    the default state...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephesians
    Do not be drunk with wine, which will ruin you, but be filled with the Spirit
    Vodka

Thread Information