Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What bank?

Banned
    Thanks

What bank?

Ok, i'm 15, and i don't have a bank account, nor do i know the meanings of all the things they have, overdraft, all that stuff, so...

I plan to join a bank (So i can trasnfr money from my paypal and spend it), but don't know which.
    Are there any that shine above the rest? Cheaper, Cards, anything really, just want to know where i should go.

Thanks
    Well im with hsbc, got myself a student solo account in which i can save anything up to £1,000 in, i also get a cheque book and the best bit a solo card in which i can use online to buy pc parts .

There are other forms of solo accounts with different banks, but ive had nothing but good things with hsbc so they have my vote.

Thanks
    HSBC do a special account for you age, and its very very good (and you get various free goodies just for opening it )
    They will auto move you up to the different cards when your 16 and 18
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    HSBC or Halifax

Choose Solo over Visa Electron! well,
    Till u hit 18 then ull get a Switch rather than a Visa Delta :/

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    Natwest are also good. Most banks are good really. Recently got an account with Natwest, although you have to be 16 or over. There is one which gives you like 3% interest instead of 0.10% if I read the site correctly...How rude

Anyway you get some wicked welcome pack thing when opening a young person's account with them like HSBC hehe
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Rank Bajin
    Thanks
    I was with bank of Scotland, and they were very good. Had a solo card but no cheque book. Just changed to HSBC, cut only cos I want to be able to cash cheques easily at my branch
    The Caped Crusader :-)

Thanks
    When I was 14 I got a student Solo card with Natwest ...

Not had any problems with them, Natwest, HSBC, Halifax (although I dont think you can get solo till your 16 with them), there all good!

I wouldn't be able to live without my Solo card now ... or I'd have spent all my money in PCWorld, lol!

G4 PowerMac - Tiger 10.4 - 512MB RAM
    MacBook - 2Ghz - 1GB RAM - 120GB HDD

Rotel RC970BX | DBX DriveRack |2x Rotel RB850
    B&W DM640i | Velodyne 1512

Thanks
    i got solo card / cheque book with hsbc. good for buying online/ shops, hsbc-to-hsbc bank transfers are instant (my dad has hsbc aswell, so when i get paid in cash i give it to him to put in my account) the only bad thing, which afaik is for all banks, is that hsbc-other bank transfers take 3/4 working days which is a bit anooying if buying or sellig online, but theres no way round it exept nochex, which isnt free (if it was, then id use it)

Thanks
    i got an account with Halifax-Bank of Scotland, had it sicne i was 16 i think (before that i had a crappy abbey nat account), i got a solo card and a cheque book.

I think most banks are the same for that kinda age group, it's the freebies that you wanna look for.

Now i have student accounts with HBoS, Lloyds TSB and Barclays because they're all good in their own different ways. You just need to look at their packages and ask the people in the banks. Theyre almost certainly going to try their hardest to sell their account, but shop about.

misterious and scary
    Thanks
    i just use lloyds bank, dont ask why, even tho they got sued for close on 100 mill a few weeks ago lol

errr ? ? ?

im confused

Thanks
    get the hsbc student acc becos for as the first student acc they usually come with lots of goodies

if you are not happy with it, you can change the bank at a later stage.

you should also consider those banks that are available in your uni area, just for the sake of convenience.
    Last edited by wiltonson; 11-10-2003 at 05:16 AM.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Howard
    ..... Most banks are good really. .....
    Wow!!

Personally, I'd have said it was a case of picking the best from a bad bunch. The lesser evil, if you like.

Also, I'd have said that much depends on management at staff at individual branches. That makes it hard to pick a "Good" bank.

Bear in mind that the sole motive of any bank is to make money, and not to give a service to it's customers. You'll get service and regard from a bank for only so long as it is in the bank's interests to do so.

My advice - compare terms, rates and offers from banks and go with whichever offers you the best deal. Keep an eye on rates, terms and offers periodically and be prepared to switch banks if it is in your interest to do so. Avoid, wherever possible, direct debit/standing order arrangements since they only serve to make it harder to switch banks and thus encourage customer inertia - which the banks LOVE.

It used to be the case that being a long-standing customer of a bank led to a relationship, and 'trust' between you and the bank. Time was that I'd be welcomed in my local branch, by name, by the manager if he happened to be around. No longer. You are an account number, at best, and a money-generating pain-in-the-proverbial at worst. A long-standing relationship with a bank now seems to be nothing more than a signal to the bank that they can take you for granted, since your customer-inertia factor seems to be high. Keep them on their toes and don't let them take your custom for granted. If anything will get decent service from a bank, it is the fear of losing your business (assuming you are a good customer of course).

If this seems like a bit of a tirade, and maybe a bit bitter, then mea culpa. But it is one borne of experience. It's all personal opinion, of course, but I'd say treat a bank as they treat you - as a necessary evil, and to be trusted about as far as you can throw NatWest tower.

/rant over

Goat Boy
    Thanks
    First Direct are the best bank in the UK bar none IMHO. Not sure if you can get an account as a studen tho. Maybe you can. If you can't I'd strongly recommend moving to them when you start earning. About 10 of my mates/family have moved since I tried them out a few years back and every single one cannot stop thanking me for persuading them to change.
    "All our beliefs are being challenged now, and rightfully so, they're stupid." - Bill Hicks

Thanks
    First direct? was that the HSBC thingy?

Thanks
    NatWest did a great Student offer, got me £60 in the pocket when I signed up and started uni. I've not had any trouble with them and they're helpful when I wanted to increase my overdraft, now a max of £1400 in my 2nd year.

Thanks
    im with natwest, the manager of my local branch seemed nice enough, telling all the stuff i cud do with my account etc. Went in the other day and he knew my name

Thread Information