• CM Storm Scout
      • Operating System:
      • WinXP 32bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H + 19" Hanns.G Dual setup
      • Internet:
      • 20mb VirginMedia

All Festival Go-ers, Please read and pass on

Some of you may have read this already, but as many festival go-ers need to read this as possible and in particular the idiots that decide things like this are funny.

It's a post by a steward who attended the Reading festival this year and an account of his experience. i've left it completely unedited so some people may dislike the content, i hope a mod doesn't feel it needs editing for the forum.

Here the post

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

im not a user of this or any festival Forums , but i work at Reading every year as one of those guys u see on the towers in your camp sites and had to Find somewhere where people who go to reading can read what i have to say .

we are from dc site services and work many festivals including leeds and glastonbury .. our works site is www.dcsiteservices.com

i had to find a forum , and at least try to describe to you guys , what its like from my point of view , i have been working at reading now for 7 years , firstly on the towers , and then other stuff. ive seen many things from dudes sellin weed , jumpin fences , robbing tents , rape , robbery , fraud and confiscation of glass bottles by stupid scottish security guards (and u know they drink them ) To evictions , streakers , mass riots and staff being mutilated.

But this year took the piss , and im about to tell u why.

Our Job Description is a "safety Steward" which means , we are there to help you guys , when your lost , f*cked up , Youve been robbed , theres a fire , any first aid (including emergencies) etc etc etc , Basically those dudes with STEWARD (not the oxfam ones) on their jackets , are there to save your ass. u need help of any kind , they are the ones to ask , we are Security with Brains , We control the campsite.
    There are 300 stewards (150 working at anytime) , 1700ish security , and 20 police on site workin at anytime , the security are responcible for policing the site and handin over bad bad boys to the police etc , we are responcible for gettin teh security to where they are needs , fire brigade to where their needed , and paramedics , and anything on the campsite ...

On sunday night This year i was working in the yellow Area , on one of the towers , now , ive seen some sh*t* in the past 7 years , and evicted some right tits , who have been stealing from your tents , robbing your stuff , setting fire to your tents , well as i got on this tower in the early hours of the morning , i was informed it had been bottled by campers like 15 mins earlier ...so the staff that were on it , had to go sort themselves out , me and my colleague had been drafted in to help for an hour or so ...

when we got there there were 6 fires in a 1000metre radius from the tower , we have 10 exinguishers and 9 had been used , huge Gas canisteres were being thrown on to fires as well as deoderant cans and camping stoves , so there were 2 or 3 explosions per minute , mushrooms of fire and shrapnel in the darkness

The lights in Yellow had been knocked out by someone throwing toilet roll over the Light strings and Burning it , snapping the wire , and killing the generators curcuits , so its pitch black , all u can see are explosions and 1000`s of people around them . (we are supposed to put these out , even with 1000 rioting kids around them )
    During all this , a lad appeared at the bottom of the tower , told my colleague that his girlfriend had been trampled in their tent by 200 rampaging lads , and had a serious back injury , i called in an emergency medic response and told my colleague to keep her still and find where she was to guide the ambulance in,
    Pretty bad , all my roads are blocked by fires and explosions and 1000`s of u lot rampaging . i had called our fire rescue to come and deal with one of our larger fires as literrally 1000`s of campers had gathered round. . luckily this engine arrived quickly as it was local , and proceeded to clear a path towared the girl with a back injury to Cut her out of her tent . i was awaiting the ambulance still , bare in mind im gettin bottled 20 metres in the air , in darkness , mid riot .

i look down to watch the security drinkin their F*kin coffee , as my colleague fights his way thought a riot in a steward tabard trying to help this girl and hes gettin missiled ,the tabard is like a target. ... i notice a Lad aged about 15 heading to my tower Clutching his Crotch area , im 20 metres in the air and as he staggers towards the tower i can see the blood literally gushing from his lower chest / genitals . i see him collapse in front of my tower on to a camping chair and im lookin Directly down onto him , i see my colleage ( a 26 yr old grown man) go white in half a second , then the security guard panic , then i see the lad pull his t-shirt up , and trousers down , he moved his hand of his groin , and i saw the blood literlly piss out all over the floor , his nuts were no longer there and there was a hole in his stomach , this lad saw this and just blacked out instantly and fell off the chair ......
    My radio is going Nuts with riots everywhere , Fires everywhere , people pushing over ice cream vans , catering stalls setting fire to tents , and THROWING GAS CANISTERS IN FIRES , im trying to get through to my control .... This lad , had walked past a fire that someone had thrown a canister on , and got hit by shrapnel . and now , while your all rioting , hes dying at the bottom of my tower , Gushing blood , and im trying to help him , being bottled for 40 quid for a 12 hour shift.

i managed to get though to control , and request an serious serious proper uber large emergency unconsious casualty with multiple injuries losing blood fast , my fire engine was dealing with my back injury casualty , and we diverted Her ambulance to the lad who now has no sex life to look forward to , at 15.

the girl was cut from her tent and got taken off site within an hour. i spoke to paramedics at 7am who confirmed the lad had been taken offsite too ,and was stable but obviously in hospital .

Dudes , im in my early 30`s and after we got off that tower , me and my colleage , both 6foot odd strappin lads who u wouldnt wanna mess with , were in shock and crying , that poor lad , jesus ........

ive met some great people at festivals in 7 years , saved some lives , made some friends , evicted some rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbishrubbish ,

but my point is this , it was me - or that lad ,

either i had gone and put all those 6 fires out with my 1 extinguisher against 2000 rioting nutters on each fire who would have batered me or worse as i put a fire out a canister exploded and i end up where that lad is , or YOU GUYS get injured cos we cant help you cos you have stretched us to the limit with all your gay stuff.

its your lives ,we are there to help Y0u.

i wont be there to help u guys anymore im afraid , i cant go back after seeing that lad , im still in shock even now. a few of you reading this will laugh and say hahaha good riddance , but ive seen all our experienced staff disapear over the years .. for teh same reason as me . and now u are gettin 16-18 year old kids who have never seen a festival .

i hope u guys read this and at least 1 person listens .

Seriously, if you care about the future of Leeds & Reading, and the future of other festivals, pass this on.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been going to festivals for years, and have never understood the people who do such dangerous acts. it's not big or clever.

Please pass this on and hopefully at least one idiot will grow up.

Bres.

Thanks
    That sounds pretty serious, did it really happen? I was away when the festivles where on so didnt hear any news. I would of thought that that extent of violence would of been bigger news.

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media
    ****, ive only stayed at leeds twice, and it does get pretty scary, isially of a sunday night. Some of it is good fun, like rolling guys down the hill in a bin, but the whole gas cans on fires thing is crazy. The first time i was there (first year at bramham) it was like a scene out of band of brothers as we walked to the car.

THat few stewards cant possibly handle things properly, 150 people isnt enough to even administer one site i wouldnt have thought. Although me and a group of mates did join in when one looked to be geting a bit of abuse from some guys after he put their fire out (on his side of course). Just have to hope enough people are sensivle, and in my experience most people are, its just a few folk who cant handle their drink/poppers/weed/e/whatever that start stuff, then people are just like sheep.

Barely posting since 2006 bertie's Avatar
    Thanks
    • bertie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Lenovo Y480
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 3610QM
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR1600
      • Storage:
      • 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GT650M
      • PSU:
      • Lappy
      • Case:
      • NA
      • Operating System:
      • W7 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2405
      • Internet:
      • Australian awful net
    Christ that's bad, seems unreal
    You will always get idiots, but I didn't think they'd take it that far - sounds almost like the story of a Vietnam veteran.
    Certainly put me off camping at Reading!

Thanks
    • [DW]Cougho's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VI Hero
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.3 1900 FLCK
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Team Group DDR4 @ 3800 C16
      • Storage:
      • 512GB Samsung 870 EVO NVME & 1TB Samsung 850 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX1070 G1 Gaming
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760
      • Case:
      • Silverstone FT-05B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ XL2730Z 1440p 144Hz
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 1
    been to leeds twice myself and this year was bad on sunday night, gas canisters on fires etc. explosions that shook the floor and huge great fires.

i feel for the people supposed to police this, although security (as mentioned) are complete morons.

For example, sunday night leeds, a few people had lit a moderate fire in an area and tossed some bins onto it, drumming the bins are dancing around, a few canisters had been thrown on too. Anyway security suddenly identify this and decide to take action by closing down all the shops so people get bored and goto bed, seems logical only the fact that there were people dancing outside the shops/purchasing things and when they got moved along, they got bored and decided to join in or watch this mini-riot. Which obviously made the problem much much worse, if only the security had thought "hmmm if we take away these people's only source of entertainment, perhaps they might not goto bed but join in the riot"

?!
    Thanks
    I dont know what to say apart from I hope darwin's rule catches up with the retards responsible... just because your drunk + with a bunch of rebel rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbishrubbish, doesnt give you the right to act like a flaming animal.

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    Got that forwaded to me on myspace yesterday and having been to a few festivals I can believe it tbh

Banned
    Thanks
    Well, if thats what you scruffy festival goers are getting up to, basically making rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbishrubbish of yourselves, and acting like chavs, then I'll stick to my clubbing.

Camp in a muddy field, covered in filth, watching 'rebels' in black t-shirts with long greasy hair turning the place into a scene from Platoon, with the promise of some miserable whining from a Coldplay-esque band at some stage, if the shrapnel or food poisoning from the £5 carcass laughingly refered to as a burger from mad Pete on the snack wagon doesn't hospitalise me first, or a drink and a dance with people with some dress sense and birds who don't smell of sick...

Hmmm... tough one.

Space in Ibiza, or a field in Reading...

Another toughie.

I'll just go and book the flight. Hope the cold harsh wind and unrelenting rain keeps off for you, lads.
    Last edited by Stewart; 01-09-2005 at 04:24 AM.

Thanks
    • XA04's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570-A Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 2x 8gb DDR 4 3200
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Serpent M.2 SSD & 4TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit RTX 2060
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 650W
      • Case:
      • Fractcal Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama 34" Curved UWQHD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100mb Fibre
    oh my ****ing god

That's awful!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart

Another toughie.

omg, I can see my tent from here!
    Tim N

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart
    Hmmm... tough one.

Space in Ibiza, or a field in Reading...

Another toughie.

I'll just go and book the flight. Hope the cold harsh wind and unrelenting rain keeps off for you, lads.
    I'm with you on this one Stewart (for a change)

I've been to a few festivals this year. Want to know where there was less trouble ?

Creamfields

I cannot understand why people do stuff like this, putting explosive items like gas canisters which EXPLODE into sharp shrapnel propelled at silly speeds.

I'll stick to my "big fish, little fish, cardboard box" over a "coffin box" anyday.

Totally disgusting actions really

Thanks
    • shelley bda's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI Lanparty Pro 875B
      • CPU:
      • Pentium 4 3.2
      • Memory:
      • 2 gig Geil
      • Storage:
      • Seagate 320 gig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi Radeon 9600XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R 580w
      • Case:
      • Beantech BT84B
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 15" TFT
      • Internet:
      • 2meg Nildram ADSL
    That was like reading a Soldiers account of battle reading that had me tears i'm sorry to say

Mike Fishcake
    Solution:

They have a "fight" festival as well as a regular festival, where any neanderthal half-wits go to pummel the living snot out of each other. That way, everyone that wants a fight gets one, and everybody that wants to have a great time can do so without fear of a load of brainless thugs spoling it.

Everybody wins :-)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_n
    omg, I can see my tent from here!

Were you on yellow?

We live in Reading, daughter was on yellow campsite for the weekend. Not heard anything on the local news about rioting nutters, nor such serious injuries. Gas cannisters thrown on fires was happening though

pounder!
    Thanks
    sounds horrific but surely some of the more violent stuff would have made the news if its true?

Quote Originally Posted by WildmonkeyUK
    I've been to a few festivals this year. Want to know where there was less trouble ?

Creamfields

(
    at glade last year there was absolutely no crime, however this year there was a small amount of thefts.

Easy Tiger!!!
    Thanks
    Wow - dont know what to say Why does this seem to happen at Reading and Leeds and not the other festivals so much???

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information