• Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" LG IPS277L-BN 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 120mb down 10mb up

Shopping in london and travelling about

hey people

basically im meant to be taking a certain female shopping to london tomorrow which is all well and good but i havent been to london all that much and need to know the best places for shops really

i only ever used to go to candem town but she isnt into all that sorta thing, just ur usual highstreet stores i guess

i'll be arriving into london from waterloo so if any of u londoners can help me out you'd be saving my balls really

places to go, and how to get there on the underground would be perrrrfect im pretty nervous really as my navigational skills arnt exactly any good and tomorrow needs 2 go well

thanx guys n girls

Thanks
    grab a tube map at any tube station and navigate your way to covent garden, it's a nice place to start off and you can walk to the strand where there's some more shops it's also easy to get to leicester square too if you're wanting eaty type places.

Thanks
    well if she's a high street shopper then maybe oxford street/regent street is your best bet and relatively easy to get to (oxford circus station is right in the middle) walk around from there and you'll find carnaby street down the way from oxford circus station.

another nice place to go is covent garden (another station on the piccadilly line) and you can walk around there for ages there's all kinds of stores from quicksilver, aldo, shellys and urban outfitters to name but a few.

oh and you can walk from covent garden to liecester square where there are some nice eating places including chinese, american diner style food, steak houses, pizza hut (for the adventurous ) and one of my favourites KFC

if you need some directions to all these stations from waterloo best bet is to check out the TFL website gives you lots of routes and estimated times too.
    hope that's some help??

Thanks
    Waterloo to Oxford Street is maybe a 25 minute walk across the bridge, past Charing Cross station, past Leicester Square and up the Charing Cross road. Quite a nice way to start if you've got time. Otherwise, depending on where you want to start from on Oxford Street you've got the Jubilee, Bakerloo and Northern lines which take you to Bond Street, Oxford Circus and Tottenham Court Road respectively. Anyone who just wants prosaic high street shops in abundance shouldn't even think of starting anywhere other than Oxford Street. You may well get annoyed with all the noise and crush after a while though- so do the shopping in the morning and then go to a museum/the London Eye/sighseeing in the afternoon is my advice.

Tube maps here.
    Last edited by Rave; 08-09-2005 at 04:02 PM.

Thanks
    yes - Oxford Street has all the highstreet stores you could want. Tottenham court road has some too I think?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamena
    yes - Oxford Street has all the highstreet stores you could want. Tottenham court road has some too I think?
    Tottehnam court road has also got some nice geek shops too

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre
    If you take her to Oxford Street, she had better be very appreciative afterwards

Its my personal hell - hate the place with a vengence but alas, women do seem to love it
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    i prefer camden or covent garden personally. I dont see the point in going to london just to go shopping in shops i can go into every day here! I'd rather go visit the more unusual shops/places

Thanks
    Covent garden

Thanks
    • JimmyBoy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VI ROG Hero
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770k @ 4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250gb Samsung 840 SSD / 3tb Seagate / 1tb Western Digital
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HiS ATi Radeon HD 7950
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster GX 650w
      • Case:
      • Bit Fenix Shinobi XL
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" LG IPS277L-BN 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 120mb down 10mb up
    ok.. thanx so much guys, im gonna write these places down u have a look at the map n try figure out the underground best as poss (any hints or tips on that front) i predict a day of being lost though

im definatly taking her to candem though, its the 1 place in london i know
    Last edited by JimmyBoy; 08-09-2005 at 06:16 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyBoy
    im definatly taking her to candem though, its the 1 place in london i know
    tbh there are bits of camden that even people who like high street stores like, it's not all goth and punk stuff, they've got some new high street stores as well as the classic camden style stuff we all know and love
    oh and i would definately get a copy of the tube map, everything else is relatively easy to figure out if you have one of those and a travelcard ya can't really go wrong.
    hope you have fun!

Thanks
    Phone up your credit card people now and tell them you expect to spend a lot, and ask to see if your limit can be raised.
    Will save hassle/embarassement later on
    Twigman

Thanks
    tottenham court road tube is a decent enough starting point I think? If she has a specific shop she's after look it up on yell.co.uk and go from there. Most of the tube stops in the centre there are pretty close to eachother - easily walkable distances between them. Alternatively you'll probably find a lot of buses going that sort of way too...

Thanks
    I think you should start off in Covent Garden and make sure that you get down to the little road (Uni for three years there and bloody forget the name) that has the Deisel shop on. Lodas of cool shoe shops and generally funky stuff.

The get back on the tube and go to Marble Arch (Central Line - Red) and walk away from Park Lane up Oxford street - Selfridges and the like are all up there.

If you can still walk after that (i'll be impressed ), go on the tube to Camden Town (Northern Line - Black).

Camden has some really cool markets and great shops for funky shops. Camden Lock Market is nice too.

Here's a little map I made (ok edited ):

Last edited by kempez; 09-09-2005 at 11:15 AM.
    Check my project <<| Black3D |>>
    Quote Originally Posted by hexah
    Games are developed by teams of talented people and sometimes electronic arts

Registered+
    Thanks
    Yeah, you won't go wrong with Covent Garden. Lots of good shops round there. Selfridges is also great, but aside from that I wouldn't bother with Oxford St. as it's the same as pretty much any high st. in the rest of the country, except with tourists!

For good places to eat, try Soho. There are a load of places there that aren't bank-breakingly expensive but are still good to take a lady that you're trying to impress to. Yauatcha on Broadwick St. is a good example of this, along with Aperitivo on Beak St. Also try Rocket in Lancashire Court.

[EDIT] Oh, you're there now aren't you? Doh!

Thanks
    • JimmyBoy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VI ROG Hero
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770k @ 4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250gb Samsung 840 SSD / 3tb Seagate / 1tb Western Digital
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HiS ATi Radeon HD 7950